Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2019, 04:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
The one that looks interesting to me is Happier Camper. It's very young, modern, the various components are modular, and you pick what you want--a la carte. My beef with AS at this point, 2 years in, is that I am discarding a lot of the stuff it came with: microwave-out, accordion privacy curtain-out/replaced, shades/curtains-out/replaced, radio-may come out, converter/solar charger-may come out. Would prefer more clearance underneath. But other than that, I love my Bramble and I guess they know they have a market niche no matter what.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Another home away from home,,,,not a camper. Tatoos?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I am led to believe that Airstream offers TOO MANY floor plans. The installation of everything is different and I can understand why work becomes sloppy.

With a time limit for installing everything, the employee just cannot keep up to figure out what needs to be done with a totally different floor plan and options added.

Maybe someone who understands how each trailer is built can help this idea. The days of 'keep it simple' obviously are no longer practical... unless you are building automobiles, which seem to have this all figured out.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The only thing that could kill Airstream is Airstream itself.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
We saw the prototype for this trailer at the Hershey show a few years back. All I can say is that Airstream has nothing to be worried about. There is no comparison.

Off gassing of the materials. Flimsy construction. Bathroom is a great idea...execution leaves me underwhelmed. Sliding doors that expand and contract the toilet area, not appealing to us. IMO - Not even in the same league as Airstream.

Now...if someone could create this floor plan/space planning idea within an Airstream...you might have the FIRST innovation in the RV industry in a long time.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Airstream is too big to fail.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
There are some things that Airstream could do that this camper does:
1). AGM batteries should be standard in AS’s.
2). The battery shut off should be standard in AS’s.
3). The electric stabilizers should be an option.
4). The wifi booster should be standard.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post

So was PanAmerican, a whole bunch of Wall Street firms, dinosaurs, wooly mammoths, and the Soviet Union...size does not determine longevity.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #29
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Does anyone remember Lehman Bros. or that all the other banks that would have gone belly up if they were not rescued. Government Motors is another. Nortelnetworks, I know personally and I said, "its too big to fail".

I certainly hope Airstream does well. I do think, they are going too far with way too many floor plans and models, not to mention high tech gadgets that are totally unnecessary. JMO.

WW
Old 08-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
There’s a newer one here where I live for sale, it’s a beautiful trailer but he’s had it listed for a very long time. My concern would be resale..
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Isn't that what GM was thinking just before....they failed.

I think Thor may have overstepped their demographics when building the new production facility but then again the current one is run like someone's garage build. They do need a process which may improve quality.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #32
Sojourner69

1969 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Lots of bells and whistles reflecting thoughtful modern design. Since most manufacturers use the same chintzy materials, I see lots of gizmos to malfunction. Wow, 41 gallons of black water-great in case there’s a cholera epidemic. Finally, I can stand up in my ‘69, I couldn’t in this.
Sojourner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
I am afraid that what will kill Airstreams is the same thing that will kill the entire RV industry. All of us old people with our pensions will die off and the youth will understand that 10MPG and global warming are related.

I just got home from 7,500 miles and a couple months on in the camper. I love the life, but I fear that $2.50 gasoline is unrealistic. My TV (2500 crew cab long bed) already won't fit in urban parking lots and that ain't getting better.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
That’s a reasonable hunch just from the quality perspective. I have a different hunch based on the fact that twice in the last 5 years they’ve had to expand the factory. They produce in a quarter what they were producing annually (rough estimates) when I bought my 2012. Sales demand is through the roof. Perhaps with enough complaints things would change but consider at a rate of say 75/week, they’re cranking out 3750 units/year. 1 complaint is one too many - but what do we see here - maybe 20-30/year buyers think are lemons - some % of that die to misaligned expectations / user error and some % of that truly missed quality opportunities. Multiply it by 5 and say there’s 150 questionable trailers out of those 3750 - that’s 4% - still WAY too high and nowhere near 6 sigma - but manageable through warranty (with costs passed in to new buyers - so theoretically that has to end some time...).

What’s infuriating and frustrating is that some of this is so readily avoidable! A little more commitment from the top all the way through and you could probably remove 50% of the errors without breaking a sweat!

What the heck do I know - just another hunch based on skyrocketing sales data...people need to “stay away in droves” before this changes much [emoji3]
^
YES

Consensus here...some nice ideas with a butt ugly exterior. 🥴

Without a hands-on, it's hard to have any build quality opinions.

Duz it matter? No. We are not shopping.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Nice! But, after witnessing a flat sided trailer shaking in the cross winds at a gas station out west while our Airstream was perfectly still in the wind, I still would prefer to drive an Airstream. If Scamp or Oliver made longer models, I might consider them. But at least it looks fantastic inside.
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelk View Post
I am afraid that what will kill Airstreams is the same thing that will kill the entire RV industry. All of us old people with our pensions will die off and the youth will understand that 10MPG and global warming are related.

I just got home from 7,500 miles and a couple months on in the camper. I love the life, but I fear that $2.50 gasoline is unrealistic. My TV (2500 crew cab long bed) already won't fit in urban parking lots and that ain't getting better.
I have faith in vehicle manufacturing innovation, although it should have been speedier. My commuting car for the last 6 years has be 100% electric. Possibly hybrid tow vehicles in the near future? More biodiesel? I’m an optimist.
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
interesting, but not for me. AS is an Icon and I love the new models and tech upgrades AND I'm not on a pension. I appreciate excellent engineering in all respects, watches, guns, cars, bikes.
Dick tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #38
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Thor. Thor will be the Airstream killer.
Thor owns Airstream
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I like the clean look of the front garage- everything tucked away inside.
The "front garage" as you call it, caught my eye. I do not think I would want propane tanks in the same compartment with batteries. On my first outing with our Airstream, another AS owner had a propane leak from the valve of the tank itself. On the AS Southwest caravan, I found and repaired a propane leak on a fellow caravan traveler's AS, involving one of the brass fittings. A propane leak combined with a spark could be very unfortunate in the "front garage". I put safety first.
3DRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Nope.
Doesn't pass the 1st test of "is it something i want parked in front of my house"
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote