Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2019, 05:22 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Im wondering how the Nest is doing. Haven't seen much about it, especially on this forum. Does it compare with the Oliver?

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:33 AM   #62
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Honestly, having seen both the Oliver and the Nest, I’d probably pick the Oliver. Not a particular knock on the Nest, which is really cute, but Oliver has been making quality fiberglass trailers for a long time and it’s a nice unit for the size / money.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
If Oliver made a 27 footer with 8 foot width, they would clean up. Call it the "LEgacy Elite III".

I know though at the size a fiberglass shell gets big and unwieldy. Would probably have to implement some boat construction equipment.

Formed/dual shell fiberglass is a superior method to produce something like a travel trailer. Just not as good looking as aluminum.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 AM   #64
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
The folding sink came out of their truck camper line. I like the idea, but haven't tried using it. I am also surprised there isn't an oven or even microwave. And lastly, that under $60K tentative price is now over $70K as they are available for sale. For that price, there is no doubt that I would pick AS over the new kid. Absolutely no doubt.
WW
Old 08-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #65
Wolfwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
If Oliver made a 27 footer with 8 foot width, they would clean up. Call it the "LEgacy Elite III".

I know though at the size a fiberglass shell gets big and unwieldy. Would probably have to implement some boat construction equipment.

Formed/dual shell fiberglass is a superior method to produce something like a travel trailer. Just not as good looking as aluminum.
What I really don't like about fiberglass trailers is the interiors. The typically come with rat fur like material, which is usually white, which stains and looks like crap in a few years. They also like to put in fiberglass cabinet structure with wood doors. Very ugly IMO.
WW
Old 08-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
What I really don't like about fiberglass trailers is the interiors. The typically come with rat fur like material, which is usually white, which stains and looks like crap in a few years. They also like to put in fiberglass cabinet structure with wood doors. Very ugly IMO.
WW
Oliver does t use the rat fur stuff. The interiors are white fiberglass, last time I looked, and can be rather stark. The other drawback is the very narrow width. The build quality is quite high though.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:35 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
I'll add on to this because this sort of thing has factored into our decision to go with an RV.

1) Cost of fuel for a trip is generally comparable (or even less expensive) than Airline tickets. Especially if I were to have to factor in the cost of car rental or taxi. That just includes my wife and I. If we factor kids (grandkids) the trip charge is much less.

2) The Cost of an RV site rental is usually at least 1/3 the cost of a hotel.

3) My wife is handicapped and the extended family can't seem to make the distinction between a pet and a service dog (for the hearing impaired). The RV just makes things much less complicated in this regard.

4) I get to sleep in my own bed rather than one that thousands of other people have slept in.

5) Unless you are staying in a really ritzy hotel, one room is just like any other no matter what you spend on them. I haven't found much difference between Motel 6 rooms and Hilton rooms. My own RV is actually nicer than any hotel room I've ever stayed in and I have paid some large sums of money for hotel rooms.

All in all, If I travel, I prefer to travel with an RV.
I agree with everything you said. I just fear it is based on sub-$5.00 gasoline. I did not see RVs the size of mine In Europe where cars, roads and infrastructure won’t support it.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Oliver does t use the rat fur stuff. The interiors are white fiberglass, last time I looked, and can be rather stark. The other drawback is the very narrow width. The build quality is quite high though.
Exactly right. We loved the "stark" interior design because it is so clean. No mouse fur, no trashy fake wood cabinets, no granny finishes, no nonsense - this is a fiberglass RV, no question about it. I dislike the Casita and other fiberglass trailers because they take what could be a beautiful trailer and ruin it with mouse fur and grandma's cabinets. Oliver does none of that, which results in a far better interior.

I like the Oliver interior for the same reason that I like the clean, beautiful, International interiors - Airstream International is an aluminum trailer, no kidding around, same as the Oliver is a fiberglass trailer, no kidding around. It's how these trailers should be.

The narrow width of the Legacy II was also a deal-bruiser for us. We loved the Legacy II and almost ordered one when we visited their factory a couple of years ago. However, the width and the lack of a full-time bedroom in the Legacy II finally persuaded us not to place that order. Thus, we're still happily camping in our 27FB for the foreseeable future.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
It seems like most of the fiberglass RV's are dark because they have small windows. What sold my wife (who is a bit claustrophobic) were all the windows in the Airstream. People step into our camper and say, "It feels like you are outside." An Oliver (which is narrower) would be an immediate "no go" for my wife. Also our aluminum interior and light cabinets make things bright and airy. The other RV's just don't match it.

Then there is the longevity of fiberglass. Over time fiberglass looks like .... After the sun bakes it for awhile most fiberglass looks pretty ugly. Maybe the new fiberglass trailers are different. No expert. Just what I've observed.

I wonder if an Oliver will be on the road 20 years from now and looking good?

I do think Airstream can step up their game however. There are things that could be improved; cabinet door latches is one thing. In fact the more they can stay away from door and cabinet latches the better in my opinion. We like the sliding cabinets on our International Serenity. I also think they should have some kind of sliding shower door. I've seen them.

I think what happens is designers get into kind of a rut. And it could be something with regard to supply chains for the materials.

Standard things I would like that really cost very little extra and are readily available:
1) AGM batteries.
2) Battery disconnector.
3) LP tank fill level indicators
4) Winterization bypass valves for putting in anti-freeze. I had it installed at the dealer.

These are minor things, but many of us spend the money and get these after a few years. Don't see why AS can't put them in automatically.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:43 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I had 3 issues with the Oliver trailers:
1. Repacking wheel bearings yearly and continuous greasing required.
2. Wet bath.
3. No ducted AC.

I do like the double walled fiberglass construction.
Roadtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I had 3 issues with the Oliver trailers:
1. Repacking wheel bearings yearly and continuous greasing required.
2. Wet bath.
3. No ducted AC.

I do like the double walled fiberglass construction.
Do we know the quality is better than the average RV? Nevertheless, I agree, the price is up there, with options and a wet bath is a complete "never again" (boat). If it were 26 feet plus frame and no wet bath, I would be tempted.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #72

I saw the Oliver trailers being assembled. They look well-made. The plumbing layout inside is clean and they have a well-organized wiring harness. No rats’ nests in there. The trailers are repeatedly checked out as they are moved through the manufacturing and assembly process. I’d be more than willing to suggest they have fewer quality issues when it comes to shipping a finished and correctly-built product. Of course they sell direct, so there’s no dealer in the middle to finish up any work that wasn’t done properly...or at all.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
We're 73 posts in, and I'm surprised that no one's yet mentioned Bigfoot. When I was looking for accessible trailers, I was in one and was really impressed with the overall accessibility - until I got to the bath area. Accessibility was non-existent: no room to maneuver, and no easy access into the shower - the opening was only half of the standing area.

But they only make two in the 25' length - the longest they make. If they added eight inches of length and put it all in the bath area, they'd really have something there.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:53 AM   #74
Wolfwhistle

I would think Lance with their CNC routed-precision-pieces-parts could have been an Airstream killer... did it put a dent in Airstream sales (sorry about the pun), I don't think so. If a pun is unintentional, is it really a pun?

I will never have another trailer with laminated sidewall construction method also letting you eventually experience ugly and expensive delamination. Rubber roof and a thousands of screws to leak, I don't think so.

If I was ever to downsize (already at 23', lol) an all fiberglass, Bigfoot or Oiver or ?? might work. The new isn't worn off my 2013 IS, yet.
WW
Old 08-27-2019, 06:14 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Yeah but does it leak? Nothing leaks like an Airstream and I just don't think this "Johnny Come Lately" can walk the walk.

Seriously, it has a couple of things really going for it. Thermopane windows. Squared off design so there is actually storage and not just doors covering lockers with no space. Very appealing finish.

Not my cup-o-tea but then again, neither is a brand new Airstream. I hope it does well as competition is good.
I have heard AS owners say all airstreams leak, but mine doesn’t. Is mine the odd guy out?
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post

At the last Oliver Rally the prospect of a bigger trailer was discussed. I talked to Scott Oliver about it. I know they are considering it, but not near term. For a low volume producer it’s a big deal to add a model.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin Raven View Post
I have heard AS owners say all airstreams leak, but mine doesn’t. Is mine the odd guy out?
No. Mine doesn’t leak either.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Why do you believe this? You know that Thor has owned Airstream since the 80s, right?
Why do people continue to portray “Thor” as the culprit of any of an individual Airstream’s shortcomings? The belief that only certified, Mennonite-trained craftsmen built AS’s prior to Thor is ludicrous. Thor is simply the corporation under which thousands of individuals (with varying skills and abilities) work to produce travel trailers. Do you believe that there was a Board meeting once where the Directors voted to ignore quality control and intentionally market an inferior product? C’mon. Like all organizations, they struggle to maintain uniform standards of manufacturing. And I for one, am pleased with the quality of our AS. Sure, I’ve had to address a few things but overall, I’m very happy. Let’s direct our ire at the individual or department supervisor who failed to ensure quality control. But most of all, let’s ask ourselves if we could do do a better job than those currently holding those positions.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Why do people continue to portray “Thor” as the culprit of any of an individual Airstream’s shortcomings? The belief that only certified, Mennonite-trained craftsmen built AS’s prior to Thor is ludicrous. Thor is simply the corporation under which thousands of individuals (with varying skills and abilities) work to produce travel trailers. Do you believe that there was a Board meeting once where the Directors voted to ignore quality control and intentionally market an inferior product? C’mon. Like all organizations, they struggle to maintain uniform standards of manufacturing. And I for one, am pleased with the quality of our AS. Sure, I’ve had to address a few things but overall, I’m very happy. Let’s direct our ire at the individual or department supervisor who failed to ensure quality control. But most of all, let’s ask ourselves if we could do do a better job than those currently holding those positions.
I don’t recall anyone saying anything about Mennonites prior to Thor purchasing Airstream. It was owned by a food corporation before then after all. Thor is the parent corporation of Airstream and as all good parents should, they should be minding their children to make sure they are doing the right thing. Anyone who has spent any time here would be aware of the issues with quality control in the Airstream line. The same issues crop up time and time again. When will Airstream/Thor step up and correct these issues once and for all? There is no excuse for sloppy workmanship in a product demanding these prices. If Airstream trailers were selling in the 30k range that might be expected but they are not.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 PM   #80

Currently Looking...
Windsor , CO
I am seriously debating a purchase of an AVIA over an AS. Avia has many factors that are better than AS starting from out to in, front to back:

-3 arm electronic awning that automatically collapses when wind shakes it
-LED lights
-2 outside storage compartments
-entry door with some storage
-entry door side screen that goes side to side, better than the regular opening door
-front table that is 360 adjustable in any configuration (like a boat)
-great cabinets (not flimsy)
-great manufacturing. when I looked under everything, it was completely clean and well constructed.
-amazing LED lighting throughout
-not your standard DOmetic, but european heating
-the best window configuration, lots of windows and much better shades than AS in terms of configuration (as opposed to those horrible horizontal shades)
-bed that raises to give more room in bedroom(slides back)
-Quality is actually really good.

CONS to Avia:
-No history to judge
- Small, only 21 feet (7 feet are tongue/tanks) for combined 28 feet
-pricey for small unit around 50k
-BATH. Is pretty smart, but who wants to walk through the bath to a bedroom. The only real downfall to this unit.

AS pros: interior is still a tad nicer and bigger.

AS cons: HAIL HAIL HAIL,
Lack of great windows
Shades need improvement.

I have really been studying the 2 so I hope this helps anyone. I think it helped me make a decision.
trekhard is offline   Reply With Quote