Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
HowieE, In a small box above the postings of a thread. This box has the first few words of a response the members name and time. It also has it's own scroll up and down slide. This thing just appeared from nowhere last week and will not go away. It may have some value in a very short thread but it seems to foul up much longer threads of many pages. Because it renumbers all posts starting at 1 on every page. I really am having a hard time describing this thing. I hope you get the jist of what I'm saying.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #42
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
If you have a mac like myself and others like Gene. Safari does an add block that works well... I hope that wasn't me that messed you up Gene. I gave advise on this before once.
No purman, it wasn't you. It was someone else (I think, it was many moons ago) who gave me instructions how to go deep into the operating system to eliminate the page peal. I did so, but it also eliminated the classifieds. Then he gave instructions how to get the classifieds back, but not the page peal. I appreciated that, but never bothered. Since not getting the classifieds means one less way to spend my time while I should be doing something my wife tells me to do, it was probably a good thing. I could probably the instructions if I wanted to, but I have so many ways to "waste" time that I don't need more.

Now I'll go look at some more threads that have nothing to do with my "real" life.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #43
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhawk View Post
HowieE, In a small box above the postings of a thread. This box has the first few words of a response the members name and time. It also has it's own scroll up and down slide. This thing just appeared from nowhere last week and will not go away. It may have some value in a very short thread but it seems to foul up much longer threads of many pages. Because it renumbers all posts starting at 1 on every page. I really am having a hard time describing this thing. I hope you get the jist of what I'm saying.
Try this: go to your forums User CP, click on Edit Options, then scroll down to Thread Display Options. It sounds like your currently have a hybrid display option - if that's what's showing up in the drop-down box, try switching it to a linear option.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Mel, that box is showing, linear, oldest first. ???
Old 12-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
O.k. I think I fixed it, with your help Mel. It was showing Linear-oldest first. I changed it to Hybrid, then changed it back to linear oldest first, then saved the change. I think that did it. THANK YOU MEL.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #46
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
how to save post locations

Quote:
My problem with the small box with the thread posting in it is this. Lets say for example I want to remember a certain post in a certain thread, I may jot down in my notes, thread name, page 31, post 875.
Silverhawk, the easiest way to save a post's location is:
  1. Go to the post you want to remember
  2. Click once on the number of the post (in the top right corner of the post)
  3. A new box opens with just that post in it
  4. Click once at the top of that page, and hit CTRL-C (hold down Control, tap the "C" key)
  5. Open something to save it in, your word processor, or just a text file (.txt)
  6. Click once in the open text file or word processor, then go CTRL-V (hold down Control key, tap the letter "V")
The result is a direct link to that page. Save your word processor file or text file and call it "goodposts.txt" or whatever you like.

The process sounds like a lot of work, but that's because I walked through it in great detail. In practise, it only take seconds to do, faster than you could write out the information on paper.

Plus, you can imbed that address of the post into another word, if you want to direct people to it. One of those click here things.

cheers,
Aage
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Thank you for that tip Aage. I will have to try that one. The problem is fixed, the "tree" is gone. I must have hit something while rummageing around in my CP. Dummy me.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
I don't see anything that looks like this. Is it at the beginning of a tread or at each post within that tread?

Is this an Internet Explorer issue?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
It might be HowieE, it is amazing how web pages look different in IE vs. Firefox or Safari.. You would think they would look the same... Not sure why they don't...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
I am running IE. I also admit to being a computer dimwit.
It was at the beginning of each page, and if you clicked on a particular post, that post was all you got, along with the "tree".
Now if I can figure how to run one of those other browsers so I can kill wavy guy, I will be a happy camper. Thank you everyone who offered help. AIR KARMA to ya.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Silverhawk,

It's really easy. Go to

Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable

Follow the prompts and you'll be using a superior browser in no time flat.

Once you have Firefox installed go back and get the add on called Ad-Blocker. It's also easy to install.

Say goodbye to Mr Wavy

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Add the line
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net
to the ...\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS file.

You may use Notepad to open and edit this file, but be sure that when you save it that it is not saved as HOSTS.txt, but rather as HOSTS (with no filename extension - it's a Unix thing). If it is saved as HOSTS.txt then rename it to HOSTS
You can keep IE and get rid of wavy guy. I duplicated this on the laptop and the laptop cooperated right away, (my desk top was just stubborn)

Start at my computer, go to the drive of the operating system, click on C? (or your drive) > click windows > click system 32>click drivers> click etc , Right click on hosts, click open, then click notepad in the open with box. Just copy and paste the line 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net to add as the bottom line and click save. He was gone.

My thanks again Crusty, your fix was greatly appreciated and much improved my demeanor today!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
You can keep IE and get rid of wavy guy. I duplicated this on the laptop and the laptop cooperated right away, (my desk top was just stubborn)

Start at my computer, go to the drive of the operating system, click on C? (or your drive) > click windows > click system 32>click drivers> click etc , Right click on hosts, click open, then click notepad in the open with box. Just copy and paste the line 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net to add as the bottom line and click save. He was gone.

My thanks again Crusty, your fix was greatly appreciated and much improved my demeanor today!

Now if only all the other stuff in window was this hard to fix

This is why I refuse to use IE.. Windows just doesn't make stuff easy. I've been using it since before 95 and have never been happy. Even built some of my own.

I use Vista on my Media PC but thats it. Only because the download programs and newsgroups don't all work with mac yet.

But to each his own, and everyone uses what is easiest for them, not for me or others.. and like wise...

As long as wavy guy is gone we are all happy

Wonder if the forums likes us getting rid of there adds...

O well, to bad

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Wavy guy was hawking Kellog's Live Bright, brain health bars, the ad's link offered ways to keep minds exercised such as with puzzles. Guess the forum worked on the puzzle and solved it without Kellog Brain Bars.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ServeImage.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	72502

Macs are great. I love them Apples. But my CS3 and Lightroom as well as a score of others is for windows and while I can change the platform, I've got too many machines and drives and software using windows right now and they don't play nice together, and cross platform stuff is spensive and somewhat dreary. Maybe a good project for someday.

photography
Old 12-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yeah, we have four computers in the house 2 macs and 2 pc's... The macs talk ok to the pc's but not the other way round. and I ran windows on my MacBook but I used it so little I took it of... MY XP machine that I use for office work, is a little more user friendly than the media PC that is running Vista... They just made changes to make them... I don't get it. And now they are working on the new OS. Can't wait to see that one.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
When I got my laptop I got the media center OS and then a free disc for Vista but never installed it. I think the new OS for Windows is because a lot of people don't like Vista, I'm still running XP on all. DH got the Media Center for second tv in the AS but we never have time to watch it. It's hit the sheets and out like a light, lol. Nice monitor and wi-fi with light scribe disc writing and good for photo storage and back-ups and much faster than my old one. But now he's got the ITouch with wi-fi and that thing blows our minds. No need to carry the laptop to the cafe for e-mail and can download maps. The new ITunes interface with flip albums (like juke box) is soooo cool, not to mention the large self rotating orientaion and touch control. Wonder how the new touch screen monitors will be? Not for me though, my mouse is groddy enough with Dorittas as it is. But it sure would be sweet for playing music as guests flip through the album selections with the album art.

photography
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I had a question.
Is the wavey guy on this site or on the browser.?
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I had a question.
Is the wavey guy on this site or on the browser.?
It's on the site. You can set your browser to block ads.

I have considerations about this whole thing...

The ads are here to support the site. With many websites, there are advertisers who will pay the site owner a small amount every time someone clicks on their ad. This is great since it's a nice easy way to generate income for the web site owner - and these sites are expensive to maintain.

I generally have no problem with ads popping up here - but when the ad starts with an obnoxious nerd waving his hands in my face it becomes extremely annoying.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Thanks Jim & Rod
I pay my money. Its extremely annoying to me. I am wondering how long we have to put up with that hand wavin fool?
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Roger, Not very long after you down load the ad blocker...

If you are using Firefox just go to there web site and download the ad blocker..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT