Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Angry Irrate and looking for advice

OK gang,

As my wife and I are planning the great AS adventure, we decide to buy a 3/4T diesel - the Chevy/GMC K2500HD. My wife went into a Chevy dealer on Monday, she and the Assist Sales Manager shake on a price. So we've worked the admin minutia and everything is fine, salesman offers to let her take it home on Tues, but we ask for the bed to be lined before we take it. Yesterday the truck was ready for pick-up, so we go out and the salesman can't find the paperwork or keys for the truck, which is sitting by the front door. After good naturedly sitting around for almost an hour, we get pulled into a meeting with the Sales Manager who tells us that "he wouldn't sell it to us because he was losing money on the deal, and the other guy shouldn't have offered it to us at that price." I was livid, pointed out to him how wrong this was and that HE had to make it right.

BTW we have a copy of the Purchase Order, which very clearly states the terms as we understood them. We have held up our end of the deal, and I believe he is in breach of contract. The today I'm receiving the loan check from the bank, and intend to go back out there with it in hand...

S
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Pick your fight

Over the years a lot of people have tried to give me a lot of advice. One of the few pieces that I listened to, and remembered was to "pick your fight". I try to always consider this when I'm dealing from a disadvantage, like going toe to toe with a large company. I've done it, but it was always from a point of after the sale or service had been provided. The times I've had success usually involved my writing the CEO of the company, and/or the CEO of the company's parent company. When I've been in yur position I just went next door. Sometimes the grief involved spoils the result. If they'll treat customers this way on the sales floor, just think about what you may be in for when you go to the service department.

I'm sure there's more than one Chevy dealer around, and I know they are all loosing money. Take your check and paperwork to the dealer. Offer the check, and, if refused, tender your paperwork and ask the sales manager to write void on the invoice and to sign it. Tell him you need it so they will not try another underhanded move and you need evidence that it was the dealer who did not want to honor the agreement. Then mention that you will be providing a copy of the voided agreement to his upper management. Then walk. Oh, whatever you tell him you're going to do, do it. Don't make an idle threat, these types can smell that and it won't faze them.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
Over the years a lot of people have tried to give me a lot of advice. One of the few pieces that I listened to, and remembered was to "pick your fight". I try to always consider this when I'm dealing from a disadvantage, like going toe to toe with a large company. I've done it, but it was always from a point of after the sale or service had been provided. The times I've had success usually involved my writing the CEO of the company, and/or the CEO of the company's parent company. When I've been in yur position I just went next door. Sometimes the grief involved spoils the result. If they'll treat customers this way on the sales floor, just think about what you may be in for when you go to the service department.

I'm sure there's more than one Chevy dealer around, and I know they are all loosing money. Take your check and paperwork to the dealer. Offer the check, and, if refused, tender your paperwork and ask the sales manager to write void on the invoice and to sign it. Tell him you need it so they will not try another underhanded move and you need evidence that it was the dealer who did not want to honor the agreement. Then mention that you will be providing a copy of the voided agreement to his upper management. Then walk. Oh, whatever you tell him you're going to do, do it. Don't make an idle threat, these types can smell that and it won't faze them.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

This seems like sound advice from Stream 1529.I don't think I would want to buy from that dealership.My biggest concern would be the quality of the service you would receive if the sale went through.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Car Sales and dealerships

NOTHING! and I mean NOTHING raises my ire more than a car dealership and its employees and I mean alomost all of them from the service manager to the president,(Service techs are usually good people)

I have successfully sued the living crap out of Ford Motorcorp for similar activities. it took me four years to do it and I would never want to do it again.

Ford paid big bucks but did that prevent them from maintaining the practices, not even.......

I say walk on. Take the sales documents to the competition and let them meet the price if not beat it!

I did this with a Harley Davidson recently, you would think that a Harley dealership would be a little more classy than your average car dealership but it is the same deal, bait and switch.

After the local Harley dealership pulled the exact same shenanigans that your car dealership did, I called a different dealership and they beat the deal by a thousand dollars.
I drove 90 miles to get the exact same bike for a thousand less.

So now for fun, I go to the local dealership and sit on their bikes, peruse parts etc until a salesman approaches me and asks, "Are ready to buy today?"
I say with a sneer, "Nah, I am just feeling it out so I know what its like before I drive up the road and buy it from the other store " I love it!

good luck and I feel your pain.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I read recently that GM makes about $11,600 profit on each Chevy and GMC HD Duramax pickup it sells. It's this profit which offsets very low profit or even loses on most other models in the GM lineup. Point is, there may be other GM incentives available to help the dealer sell the truck to you at the agreed upon price. There's certainly room for discussion. I wouldn't get huffy, just try to explore other possibilities to get the truck at the price you want.

Also, remember you are in the drivers seat. You have the money which is what they need to survive.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Wow, bad experience. I think I would, in this order;
1) Speak with the owner (let them know you WILL be call the AttyGnl)
2) As stated above, bring the whole deal to a competitor
3) Call your State Atty General

We just bought a 06 D/A CC durring the 0% incentives. I don't really enjoy buying new cars-PIA!. But I must say this went pretty smoothly and they had to get my truck from 2 states away, they worked hard to close the deal. (Guess I would too to make $10k!)

Good luck, Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I would do as Stream 1529 suggest and send a copy of both the your copy of the purchase order, with the sales manager's signature, and a copy of your bank's check to the Better Business Bureau. I'd also insist that the sales manager write on the purchase order why they were backing out of the deal. You don't need to tell him why, just that you want to make sure they can't sue you for renigging on the deal. If they want to be underhanded about the deal, there is no reason that you need to be totally open about your intentions. This will teach the dealership a lesson.

With the losses that the Big Three are reporting, I'm sure that one of the other Big Two would be willing to attempt to give you a similar deal on a similarly equiped truck to move inventory. If you have a strong preference for a Chevy, go to another dealer and start from scratch. Just don't mention this event to either until after you have cemented the deal and taken possesion, if at all. I know starting over is a pain in the you know what, but sometimes you just have to chalk one up to a life experience and decide you were given devine providence in this situation and are better off for it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
This seems like sound advice from Stream 1529.I don't think I would want to buy from that dealership.My biggest concern would be the quality of the service you would receive if the sale went through.
If you really want the truck or the savings are so great, Stream 1529's advice is very sound. Get the truck and never go back,that dealer is not the only place to get service.

Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
It's two bad there are a few dealers that try things like this. The idea of course is that the "low ball" a price to you and let you drive home. They play the odds that you will "love the New vehicle" enough that you will step up with more to keep it. WALK__they play the game that says "people stand in line to be fooled and run from the truth"----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Bill called it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Wow, bad experience. I think I would, in this order;
1) Speak with the owner (let them know you WILL be call the AttyGnl)
2) As stated above, bring the whole deal to a competitor
3) Call your State Atty General

We just bought a 06 D/A CC durring the 0% incentives. I don't really enjoy buying new cars-PIA!. But I must say this went pretty smoothly and they had to get my truck from 2 states away, they worked hard to close the deal. (Guess I would too to make $10k!)

Good luck, Bill
Breach of contract and deceptive practice. You can bet you are not the only one they have done this to.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Points all taken,

Wife sent an e-mail explaining the situation to Chevrolet late last night, they contacted her this morning while I was at work. Had her on hold while they talked to the dealership; came to say that they couldn't force an independent dealer to honor the deal, but the dealer was willing to negotiate with us if we came back out. Wife pointed out that was an illegal “bait and switch” tactic, they asked if she wanted to file a formal complaint -- hell yeah!

We have the check and are going out to give them one chance to limit the damage, if I leave with the truck, I'm never returning to that dealer. If I don't get the truck, then I ask for voided copies of all documents related to the transaction and move on, while filing claims with every agency I can think of (BTW, I'm active duty Army and going in uniform)...

Thanks - I'll post the results...
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Go Gettem' Asta!!!

And be sure to remind them of YOUR sacrifice to our country that allows these bastards to engage in these underhanded and illegal tactics!!!

I'll be REAL interested to see their reaction.........................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Asta: one more thing. Make sure any other "special deals" are voided like for satellite radio. My boyfriend encountered a similar situation to the one you described....tho' not nearly as egregious. He just walked away from the stinky deal and dealership. Then 6 months later he starts getting bills from Sirius telling him that his introductory service had expired. It was harder to get that untangled than anything else because somehow the VIN of the truck my boyfriend did not purchase got assigned to him in the Sirius data base. What a mess!
Good luck to you. And, I agree with what others have said, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with such underhanded scum. No telling what problems you might encounter with that truck down the road.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #14
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by asta2
Points all taken,

Wife sent an e-mail explaining the situation to Chevrolet late last night, they contacted her this morning while I was at work. Had her on hold while they talked to the dealership; came to say that they couldn't force an independent dealer to honor the deal, but the dealer was willing to negotiate with us if we came back out. Wife pointed out that was an illegal “bait and switch” tactic, they asked if she wanted to file a formal complaint -- hell yeah!

We have the check and are going out to give them one chance to limit the damage, if I leave with the truck, I'm never returning to that dealer. If I don't get the truck, then I ask for voided copies of all documents related to the transaction and move on, while filing claims with every agency I can think of (BTW, I'm active duty Army and going in uniform)...

Thanks - I'll post the results...
That is all the more insulting! If it weren't for you, none of us would have the freedom to buy these beautiful AS and the TV to pull them.
God bless and let us know how you make out.

p.s. There are additional incentives for active military from GM. Make sure you ask about this also. Check out chevy.com
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Hi Asta2 . Sorry for your troubles. Nothing makes me more angry than this type of behaviour from auto dealers. Many, many years ago whin I was in Navy JAGC, we had a system of dealing with businesses that cheated military personnel. You man want to check with your JAGC office.
Good luck. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Purchasing a new car or truck should be a happy time not a stress filled anger surrounded occasion. I am really sorry this happened to you.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
CSI (customer satisfaction numbers) are the hot button with dealership owners. Without excellent CSI he can't buy new product dealerships as most are trying to do.
One thing not touched upon by other posters is who you bank with. If you let your banker know what happened with the purchase order and they do any kind of volume with the dealership in qestion this may come back to bite the dealer on future deals.
The "puppy dog" close is used to help prospective customers take "mental ownership" of the vehicle. The rest is up to the skill and cunning of the dealership staff.
For those who, like me, distain the process...remember profit is not a dirty word in the USA. It goes without saying that some experience quite different buying scenerios.
Internet buying is becoming a much more viable alternative to the live and in person experience.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
It's an old con and it works on not a few prospects (marks). Walk away from it and find another dealer. Rest assured that they, like the proverbial suicide blond, will die by their own hand sooner or later, and, sooner or later, will crop up again somewhere. In a civilized society you could horsewhip them.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
After being a sales manager and F&I guy in dealerships for 12 years.. I have some experience to quote from. Make an appintment with the highest up person at that dealership, general manager, owner, whomever you can see. Show them the signed order and see what they do. If noth.ing is done for you, I would use auto bytel or another car site to try and match that deal. They will not screw with you.
I would also contact the Chevrolet District Rep and file a very strong complaint. A signed buyers order from management is a contract, however if there was no deposit ( earnest money ) they can choose to baatck out.
If you chose to back out it would have been another story.
This is one reason why I am no longer on that business, too much nasty treatment of customers, and emplyees!!
The market here is so strong every dealer rapes you for a 300-700 "documentation" fee after the deal is done. I refuse to pay that, backing it out of the bottom line. If they want to deal without it or reduce the price I will do biz. with them. If not, I walk. It not only is a rape of the cusotmer, the dealer does not pay any commission to the sales guys either on that money so its pure profit to them. In addition to hold back, and the 2% or so they get per vehicle at years end, AND the prep money they get from the factory, AND the money the make on your trade, AND the finance money.
Just realized you too are here in ATLANTA....GM has offices here and can be contacted easily if this is not resolved. Was it Bill Heard?? They bought out my old dealership.....
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
ASTA> I agree with the advice many have given a couple other points.. First you must tell the forum and all of your Army buddies the NAME of the dealership it's only fair that others are warned properly so they may avoid future business with this dealership . Second.. If you end up starting over in your search my recommendation is to do all of your homework online and call the Internet Manager of the dealerships that have the exact model you want in stock. My last 4 vehicles and my Airstream were all negotiated and purchased with several phone conversations with the internet managers they tend to cut to the chase on pricing saving you valuable time and trouble of driving all over Atlanta and beyond. You'll also avoid the tag team close game...(oh let me go talk to my manager...sound familiar?.. Hi Mr. and Mrs. Customer I'd like to introduce you to my manager....idle chit chat..ya da ya da...we can get close Mr. Customer but this deal is real thin for our dealership....BS...) Salesmen are paid many different ways but typically it is on margin, volume and some spiff for old inventory turns. Internet pricing is less because the salesmen are usually paid different. So it is a better place to START the negotiations. And third...a sincere thank you for your service to our country. Good Luck with your new Tow Vehicle.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote