Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Interesting Offer?Scam? to buy my Argosy...

Here is an email I received today to buy my Argosy. Very interesting, as my ad on RV online lists my name, my city, my country, and my phone! Does this smell scammy or what? Has anyone else heard from this person...

Good Day ,

This is a purchase enquiry in response to your advertised (1978 Airstream Argosy ) on RVonline.com,l 've made enquiry for this just because of the passion for it, Particularly my wife who is monitoring and making sure that l embark on this purchase.

I 'd appreciate it: if on your part, you 'd handle this transaction successfully ( exhibit a high level of professoinalism, sincerity ), as I do take a giant step in purchasing it.

This is to bring to your attention that, shipping expenses/ handling and proceedings to my home shall be taken care of by me: l am seeing into the shipment myself because l do have preference and an allegiance to a shipping company which has been the family's transporter for a long time now, hence my sticking with them.

Also to bring to your attention that, the payment for it will be taken right from my bank account and make payable to you in the mode of a guaranteed Cashiers Banker's Check.

The payment shall ( upon my requests and instructions to the financial firm handling my finances ) be issued/ made payable and post mailed to you.

Hence, I do require the below payment informations so as to forward them for an immediate payment issuance :.
-YOUR BOTOM PRICE IF $ 5,900 IS YOUR BEST PRICE?
- NAME(to be written on the check):
-HOME ADDRESS:
-CITY:
-STATE:
-POST CODE:
- CONTACT PHONE NUMER ? (so I could call you if need be).
*Note*
All informations given shall be kept confidential and only be used for this transaction.
Infurtherence, do let me know if there has been a change in the advertised state & condition.
And for an more insight into this, l do require one or two pictures of its interior & exterior parts.
Thank you for the understanding, and l do look forward to a successful transaction with you in good faith and trust.

Sincerely,
Thomos Morgan
Landwehrstrasse 77
80336, Mí±ºí³¨en - Muenchen.
(Mobile Phone: +234802854798 ).
Old 09-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Hi froggies,

It's a SCAM! Delete it and forget about it.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Very interesting. The usual scam is to send you a money order for the shipping and the trailer. Then you will send a money order to the shipper. Two weeks later you find out that the money order is bogus and the shipping money is gone. Do not do anything untill the money order or whatever form of payment clears! Money from overseas takes time. Tell the buyer these terms and see what happens...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Thank you for confirming my suspicions! I just am always amazed at the new and different ways these people think up. And maybe me sharing will warn others to beware!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Here's a link to this type of scam.

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I sold mine to an overseas buyer, but received cash at delivery. Would not have done it any other way.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:39 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
SCAM
The country telefoon code is a nigerian code
The adres is suposed to be german munchen be he writes muenchen
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:32 AM   #8
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
frequent now in Europe

Hi there;
I agree with all of us, this is a scam and we have this kind of transaction, very frequently in Europe. when you sale something expensive as cars, motorcycles, you get this kind of deal , always very interesting and without negociations, that seems always strange.

you have to inform the site where you have let your ad, RVline, to protect users against these scams;

Unfortunately, I see they work now overseas.

bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks so much! I always wish to think better of people, so I am always amazed when there are so many scams! But I don't understand how they make money on this, except if they send you the money, and you ship off the trailer? And then you are out the trailer and the shipping?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
What happens is...

they send you money, usually more than your asking price with a FAKE cashiers check. Then they ask for a really quick turn around on your trailer (car, horse, boat, etc.) plus the cash back to either themselves or a "third party" shipper. So you deposit their fake check in your account, withdraw the "shipping fee" money on that same account, send off your trailer with a "shipper", then a couple of days later find out from your bank that the check you deposited was fake and you are out the money you withdrew leaving your account in the red. You also no longer have the trailer which you have shipped off to the buyer. The buyer ends up with both YOUR money and YOUR trailer which they turn around and sell for more money.

I guess it's pretty lucrative for the scammer if/when it works...must work often enough that they continue to do it!

Glad you didn't fall for it ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #11
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
they send you money, usually more than your asking price with a FAKE cashiers check. Then they ask for a really quick turn around on your trailer (car, horse, boat, etc.) plus the cash back to either themselves or a "third party" shipper. So you deposit their fake check in your account, withdraw the "shipping fee" money on that same account, send off your trailer with a "shipper", then a couple of days later find out from your bank that the check you deposited was fake and you are out the money you withdrew leaving your account in the red. You also no longer have the trailer which you have shipped off to the buyer. The buyer ends up with both YOUR money and YOUR trailer which they turn around and sell for more money.

I guess it's pretty lucrative for the scammer if/when it works...must work often enough that they continue to do it!

Glad you didn't fall for it ~

Shari

... and this scam is possible when you pay with WESTERN UNION and they don't take identity of the guy who collect money from this transfert.
they play with the bank time that they do to check if the transfert is OK or FAKE... 15 days !!!!!!! When it 's a fake payment, the bank isn't responsible, even if it's written on your account....
The only thing to do is to pay with bank transfert ( bank to bank)from YOUR bank, with all codes as iban code etc ... and there, NO more message from your buyer .
And you understand it was really a scam !

Bruno;
Old 09-07-2006, 06:33 AM   #12
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman

That's great stuff!!!

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman

Simply great and very instructive; Absolutly to read when you sell something expensive on the net. The author is very patient to scam the scammers ! I recommand that link.

Bruno.