Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sac City , Iowa
I think we need a mediator!

I guess I’ll try this site...I have been trying to get into chat for over an hour now. Okay, I’m just looking for some input to either help me understand my husband’s logic or some reinforcement to my opinion. We have a half ton Chevy pickup and pull a 25’ Safari. Our issue...well, I guess my issue...as we’re traveling across Nebraska or anywhere, for that matter, we drive about 50 mph and then if there’s the slightest hill, we drive 35-40 mph! I think he’s being OVERLY cautious. Nevermind, that I’m trying not to say anything but going c r a z y. I feel like we might as well be in a covered wagon! Please, some comments would be appreciated.
Itsatruly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Perhaps the way the rig feels does not inspire confidence in driving faster. If your setup needs some fine tuning that could make all the difference.

There is always a concern for the other drivers on the road who will be forced to make passing decisions if they are following a rig that is running at ~20 mph under the posted speed limits.

There may be some law enforcement that would result in ticketing for impeding the traffic as well.

Maybe you should try driving the rig and see what it feels like.

Good Luck!

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You can only drive as fast as you feel comfortable. For me, that's 60- 65 max pulling my 19'er with my VW Atlas. I've made some car changes and adjusted my trailer loading to improve the experience (the Sprinter van I used to pull with was rock stable, but not as comfortable). It sounds like you need to consider making changes to the TV, or maybe getting a new TV. Friends who pulled a 26'er with a 1/2 ton vehicle found the towing a white knuckle experience. Buying a 3/4 ton truck was transformative.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'd hate to be on an interstate traveling so slowly. If he goes below 40 mph in some states, he should have his four way flashers on. Some states have minimum speeds on interstates. It is safer to be in the flow of traffic, not only for others, but for you. Just put a rock in the middle of a fast flowing stream and you will see eddies and turbulence just like traffic disrupted by a very slow driver on a fast highway. Eventually you may get rear ended by someone not paying that much attention who does not expect anyone to be traveling so slowly. Stay off highways with fast traffic. Maybe you'll have to drive on dirt roads. Be sure to have him pull over when the traffic piles up behind you.

If someone is nervous driving, perhaps you should drive. Then get earmuffs so you don't hear the complaining. Or take the car and get there first and relax.

Is there a sway problem? Perhaps the hitch is not set up correctly or you need a better quality hitch. Talk to a suspension shop. They know a lot more than dealers.

A mediator costs less than a divorce lawyer. I am fairly sure you will take the posts from this thread and show them to your husband. Remember that someone who drives that slowly does not feel safe going any faster and will most probably get defensive about it, depending on how you approach him. Try: "I get very nervous going this slowly. How do you feel?" Find out why he is nervous rather than making fun of him or attacking him. If he denies being nervous, well, mediators and couples' counseling are available in most places. in the meantime, you will be able to smell the roses going that slowly, or in Nebraska, the corn.

A larger truck should not be necessary. We towed a 25' Airstream for ten years with a half ton truck and did not have problems. When we go through Utah, speed limit on I-70 is 80 and 85. We travel around 60 and people whiz by at 80-95. We don't like it, but the present trailer cannot be safely towed faster and we have to watch for people coming up behind us. 35 to 50 is extraordinarily slow and somewhat different than the speeds in Utah.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

When you travel a mile in someones shoes, you end up a mile away with a new pair of shoes.

Have you tried towing the rig? It may provide a clearer understanding.

NEB cross-winds can be challenging.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Suggest a conversation as to why your husband slows down for hills and only drives 50 mph. There are valid reasons. However, most RVersc would drive 60 mph and slow only slightly or not at all for a Nebraska hill. Now, Nebraska hills and Colorado/Rocky Mountain grades or many Eastern Mountain grades require different tactics. It's the grade that makes a difference.

Possible information to consider: Is the wind moving the rig around? Do you run with weight distribution and sway control? Is your truck in fair, good or excellent condition? Is your gear loaded heavy over/between the axles and light in the ends? Do you test the performance of your rig? Have you weighed the rig? Have you read the manuals? Why do you RV?

A windy day, slows the progress if you are to remain safe. Some tow vehicles need higher RPM to generate the required power to climb and folks sometimes hate to hear the engine rev high. But as long as the engine does not exceed the red line limit, it is not being hurt. Some folks are on so tight a budget that they drive slow to conserve fuel. Some folks feel minor (manageable) sway movement and believe the rig is going out of control. Experience and recognizing/understanding the forces acting on the rig helps to adjust the driving tactics to be safe.

Maybe a mentor would help. Start by explaining the why's. Folks can help you to understand and resolve if they are valid reasons for going slow. Some couples change who drives. But don't do a long long trailer routine where one is over cautious and the other ignores that the trailer is connected. There is a compromise, but it takes experience and knowledge to optimize your towing RV lifestyle.

Good luck - if we are going too slow for you, we'll move over soon. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Just to gain some additional clarity on the situation, a few questions.

Is your husband purposely slowing down on hills (letting off the gas) or is he just unwilling to feed in the added throttle required to maintain speed? Maybe he's being super conservative and is concerned about overtaxing the TV? Is it possible he's trying to maintain speed but the truck just isn't able to deliver?

All of these issues are in addition to the concerns over towing stability already mentioned. As suggested, maybe a few miles behind the wheel yourself would yield some clues. Or, if you haven't already asked him directly, you could try that and see what he says! Good luck.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
We have friends who drive from Las Vegas, Nevada to Cheyenne, Wyoming to visit Family.

He drives slow. He is not in a hurry. She is. She flies to Cheyenne. Problem solved.

Start a Thread on the Forum. 'Best Speed is 65mph for Airstream Axles'.

Post some explanations on how the wind cools the Axles on hot asphalt and concrete Interstates and flex when driven over roads with wavy sections. Also the air flow over the top keeps rain from finding weak points in the sealant, preventing water entering the interior.

Wow... after that... I had better slow down. Sounds great.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Just take the wheel already! n/t

You sound like the kind of woman who should just take the wheel.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
You sound like the kind of woman who should just take the wheel.
Sounds like the beginning of a country song!

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I can't offer any suggestions without knowing why he is slowing down. I towed a Safari 25 with an older F-150. It had a 4 speed transmission, the towing package available at the time which was essentially a low range rear end and a transmission cooler, and the 5/4L V-8. It was not well suited to towing in hilly country. It balked in the last mile of a 6 mile 8% grade coming up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had slowed down due to the fact that I was having to keep giving it more gas and was ultimately i 2nd gear at about 3500 RPM. In the last mile, the engine started running rough and lost power. The temperature gauge was elevated, but not in the red. I had a tuner on the truck but was not using any special tune, I just used it to get some more information. The transmission temperature was higher than I would like, but not to the point of immediate damage.

I took the truck in for a checkup when we got home and my mechanic said he didn't think the transmission had ever been serviced. The filter was clogged and the fluid was not burned, but it was slightly discolored. He thought it would be good after the service.

We did not want to wonder about what was coming around the next curve and bought a Ram 2500 diesel. About a year later we traded up to a Classic 30 slideout. The truck pulled both trailers exceptionally well.

A lot depends on the year of your truck and how it is equipped, but the main questions is, whey does he slow down.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsatruly View Post
I guess I’ll try this site...I have been trying to get into chat for over an hour now. Okay, I’m just looking for some input to either help me understand my husband’s logic or some reinforcement to my opinion. We have a half ton Chevy pickup and pull a 25’ Safari. Our issue...well, I guess my issue...as we’re traveling across Nebraska or anywhere, for that matter, we drive about 50 mph and then if there’s the slightest hill, we drive 35-40 mph! I think he’s being OVERLY cautious. Nevermind, that I’m trying not to say anything but going c r a z y. I feel like we might as well be in a covered wagon! Please, some comments would be appreciated.
Maybe he is hoping you will stay home next trip.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Like the others here I won't speak about driver motivations or preferences. I can tell you if your set up is proper, there is no safety and stability justification for the speeds you cite. Your rig, properly configured for load, weight, tire pressure, hitch type and setup, ball height etc. will safely pull at 55-60 minimum, likely more, with no need to slow on hills other than to follow the truck speed guidance.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsatruly View Post

You should maintain a safe consistent speed, not vary speed unless there is an actual safety issue, or if the vehicle is not capable of maintaining the speed. What is his reason for slowing on hills?
TheCols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We had a similar situation. We originally had a 2005 Safari 25FB in 2005. We were towing with a 2005 Suburban 2500 (3/4 ton) with a 6.0 loiter gasoline engine. The Suburban towed OK, but it was not stellar. Some of the steeper uphills were tough. Some of the more significant downhills were scary. They were what we called "the runaway train syndrome".

In 2011, we decided to try a Silverao Duramax. Once we tried towing with a Diesel, we never looked back. The upgrades are easy. We often pass sedans that have trouble with these grades. The Diesel exhaust brake keeps the us under control without ever touching the brakes.

We re avid Airstreamers. We have over 2,100 nights of Airstream camping over fifteen years. We have towed our Airstream all over the United States and Canada. We are approaching 200,000 of Airstream towing.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Miss Marple would drive faster than that ...
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sac City , Iowa
Well, I thought I posted a reply thanking my fellow Airstreamers for your suggestions and comments but it hasn’t shown up so I have no idea where it went? First of all, my husband is a retired OTR trucker even working last summer hauling limestone and rock with a semi and also hauls grain in the fall, driving a semi, so he’s definitely comfortable pulling our travel trailer. We don’t do a lot of traveling on Interstates, preferring two lane roads. And he is certainly a courteous and conscientious driver, always aware if he’s holding up traffic.

Some suggested maybe I should take the wheel...now that would be “white knuckling” for sure! Anyway, it wouldn’t change anything. He would still insist on the slower speeds. As PKI suggested, he hates to hear the engine “rev” and I’m pretty sure concerned about taking out the transmission. Mikeinca mentioned the conserving fuel...oh, yes, he is super frugal, and that, too, would be an issue! Which reminded me of our trip to Alaska ten years ago in a slide-in, pop up pickup camper, and we still drove the slow speeds, slowing down even more for hills. Mind you, I’m not talking mountains. Hills. Finally Ray Eklund suggested he’s just not in a hurry! That is true, too. Two different personalities here. His attitude is why do in one day when you have all week to do it? Mine is let’s “get ‘er done!” So, there you go. Concern for overtaxing the engine, conserving fuel, and not in a hurry. I guess I just need to take a pill for patience and look for those roses I’m supposed to smell! Again, thanks for your comments and just remember...if you happen to see an Airstream poking along, give a wave, it’s probably us!!
Itsatruly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Not all 1/2 ton trucks are suitable for towing a 25 foot Airstream in a variety of conditions. Some with large engines, beefy tow and suspension packages work fine.

We switched from a 2012 RAM 1500 gas Hemi to a 2016 RAM 2500 diesel. It was truly a transformative experience. Not only is the three quarter ton 2500 more powerful, fuel efficient and stable but also can carry 1,000 pounds more cargo. Towing our 2017 25 foot International with the 2500 actually lives up to the "sometimes you forget you are towing anything" comments that I always though were an exaggeration.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
One must also manage engine and transmission temperature when the TV is being stressed. I'm pretty sure that the problem I discussed above was caused by slow speed, not enough air flowing over the radiator and transmission cooler. The radiator had a fan but the side mounted small additional transmission cooler that was part of the towing package did not. I also learned that on that truck the transmission temperature is "computed" from the coolant temperature and is not necessarily representative of the actual temperature in all cases. Slow speed = insufficient airflow over the cooler and the transmission said "I need a rest."

In your case, however, I'd bet your DH is aware of these issues and your assessment above is spot on.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
A His and Her Airstream and Tow Vehicles would settle this once and for all.

Start shopping with your Husband. Find an owner with a late model Airstream and Tow Vehicle wanting to sell the combination... that YOU like and tow vehicle is appropriate for the length of trailer.

Budget $75,000. If he does not blink... say $118,000. He will blink.

I advise for YOU a F350 Diesel Ford... so you can tow anything, anywhere at any time, at any speed. It must have 4x4, a topper.

The Airstream has to have EVERYTHING YOU WANTED in the perfect trailer plus a lift kit, solar and maybe an upgraded cook top.

Then... compromise.

You drive on the Highway. He gets to drive when you are tired.

First Trip with you driving: The Colorado Highway 550 from Durango to Ouray, Colorado. Go from the South to the North for maximum EYE exposure.