Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2020, 02:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I have cash and no-one wants it.

Hi, I have been somewhat of a cash person. It used to irk me to see someone use a credit card for a $3.00 lunch. I now use my Costco card for most everything and get rewarded quite well every year. [points = money] I swore I would never use an ATM and so far, I still don't. With that, I had no need for a debit card. Winco won't accept credit cards and taking cash out of my wallet and waiting to get my change back, to put back in my wallet, or pocket for now, or dropped on the floor just wasn't convenient anymore. So just for Winco and nowhere else, I now carry a debit card.

Cash in my wallet has been there so long that I have to check it for mold. [just kidding about the mold] Salem has Farmer's Markets and this was one of the places where I spent real money. But due to this virus thing, cash is not accepted there this year. About the only other place where I only used cash is at my Barber's shop. But he's been closed for a few months and I have no idea when he will be able to open for business again.

Is real money, as I call it, soon to be obsolete? Are we at a point in life where all money will be on credit cards and electronic transfers from our bank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cash.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	368358  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:44 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Interesting thoughts, but so far everyone seems to be taking my cash.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Believe it or not, while cash can be used for all transactions public and private, any vender can refuse cash and set the payment requirements for goods.

We've known for years that cash is one of the dirties objects on the planet due to the number of hands it runs through and that includes cocaine and other nasties:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/26/healt...ner/index.html

So with all that is going on with the world....yeah, I'd say...... no one wants it.....take it to the bank and convert it to digital.

I used to be the same way, cash for everything, but if you pay off your CC every month religiously, it is the same thing as paying cash with no interest hit.

Boob money, sock money, any other sweaty body money.....people are going to reject it.....makes sense to me.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Oh this thread could get real interesting.

Can only hope the "Mods" let it run for entertainment value, if nothing else. But, to help poke the bees nest.

Robert, the virus is yet another step towards a "One World Gov." where currently China is being used as the model in forms of control of the people. If all transactions are by a "credit card", then all your small business (that do much business) in the form of cash, are out. Saw yesterday where the virus could take out as much as 1/3 of the small business in the USA.

I'll watch,
Old 05-20-2020, 05:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
I have two small businesses, almost nobody hands me cash. Venmo, Zelle etc. work very well once setup and I see the transaction immediately.

I'm with Bob on this as real live cash is worth more to me than any "e" transaction (read between the lions) yet here we are. These methods work well, sad to say
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:03 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
How about those metal things that just rattle around in your pocket and slide off the dresser?🥴

I switched to debit cards 10yrs ago. I now have two, bank and FMA. It took me about 5yrs to get comfortable with the security concerns.
Definitely a late adopter, but I must admit it's a much more efficient way of getting rid of unneeded assets.

Any questions?...I do accept PP.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #7
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I'm retired and travel full time. After my debit card was compromised twice in six months, I called my credit union for advice. They recommended exclusive use of a credit card (their interest rate is 7 percent) where there is more transaction security and you are not risking a checking account balance. Their fraud alert is awesome, with immediate text messages whenever there is an unusual spending amount or weird location/product. I carry a small amount of cash for laundry and tips. So far, so good.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

In our everyday life, I don't use very much cash. I do use cash for tips to help the service folks. When we are traveling in Lucy, we carry a stash of cash. Many of the Passport America Campgrounds want cash when they give the PA discount. We have also found that the small owner-operated campgrounds will give a discount when you pay with cash.

Other than these, it's all credit card. Last year between Sam's and Costco, our Cash Backs totaled $914.00. We also purchased a new tow vehicle, and the GM Card rebate was just under $1,2000.00 That's over $2,000.00 of free money on things we would have purchased anyway. This little bonus will provide us with two new Samsung Galaxy Note 20 cellphones when they come out later this year.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #9
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Oh this thread could get real interesting.

Can only hope the "Mods" let it run for entertainment value, if nothing else. But, to help poke the bees nest.

Robert, the virus is yet another step towards a "One World Gov." where currently China is being used as the model in forms of control of the people. If all transactions are by a "credit card", then all your small business (that do much business) in the form of cash, are out. Saw yesterday where the virus could take out as much as 1/3 of the small business in the USA.

I'll watch,
It won’t be long and we will all have a chip implanted to handle all our transactions. I’m just helping you with that bees nest..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #10
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Dear Everyone.

I am willing to take all that old cash off your hands. I will pay shipping too. PM me if you are interested.

Love and kisses.

JL
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:19 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Cash is great at the flea/farmers market but your options become limited if want bargains off eBay & Amazon Prime.
And more importantly, if you are renting something or making a reservation a CC is your only option.
I remember one time being at the Enterprise counter at Lambert Filed in St Louis and a guy was trying to rent a Cadillac from them with a cash deposit. They laughed him out of the terminal. My AMEX card got me the Caddy instead. That was the beginning of several Cadillac purchases subsequently.
Can't take advantage of price shopping the lowest cost spare and replacement parts off the internet without credit.
Glad to hear you have cash. Enjoy it while you have it. But as "they" say. You can't take it with you.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Coin Collectors... immunity from about everything

Collecting cents and nickels as a youth, silver coins as a teenager gave me immunity to most every virus known.

Getting a Silver Dollar for my Birthday was much better than a paper Dollar in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

Needing MORE immunity I handle paper bills to expose myself to current viruses. I find that $20 bills have more exposure than all bills combined in transactions. A wallet full of $1 bills are often a burden to carry and used for tips when necessary.

My metal detector is happy to discover Silver coins, but the common NICKEL is by far the most difficult to locate. When a nickel is detected... it moves around. IF you cannot read the date on an old coin... you put it into your mouth to 'clean it'.

Cashiers prefer credit cards. They do not need to understand mathematics to give change. They leave cents in a bowl to round numbers up for the customer, who also cannot count change. When the cash register is used, the clerk looks to the change the register calculates when using cash.

Slot machines... love to take your filthy paper currency, and often.

No one picks up cents in a parking lot. We do. A quarter is a windfall. A dollar bill blown into the grass... yea hawwww.

Change is dropped into a drawer and when it weighs over five pounds the change is taken to a machine, is counted... and then you are charged to convert to paper. Times change. No 'common cents' have changed to not having one dollar to your name.

A 'See Note' is considered from an unknown admirer. A 'C Note' is not.

When someone has a Lincoln cent with 1909-S V.D.B. they may take a used $1 bill for it and think they had an excellent business transaction. Not....

Cash is not trackable when the IRS comes knocking. It is trackable when you pay your bills. No body sells their home to a CASH buyer. We can have fun with all of this and when you 'count change', include sales tax.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Just had some work done at the house by an independent worker. When I asked how much I owe him, it was $180 by check or $150 cash. And especially when traveling, cash always works best for roadside repairs or when in real small towns. Things sometimes cost less with cash. Government excluded.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Is real money, as I call it, soon to be obsolete? Are we at a point in life where all money will be on credit cards and electronic transfers from our bank?
Yes, if certain people get their way.
Think about it, if every transaction had to be with a card, there would be an electronic trail to everything you do or go.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Just had some work done at the house by an independent worker. When I asked how much I owe him, it was $180 by check or $150 cash. And especially when traveling, cash always works best for roadside repairs or when in real small towns. Things sometimes cost less with cash. Government excluded.
Translated as a discount for cheating on taxes. Every time I’m offered that deal I pay the full amount and scratch them off my call list.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Each month I give myself an "allowance" of cash. When I run out I quit spending.

At owner operated businesses I usually ask about a cash discount and quite often get one equaling or better than their cost of accepting a credit card.

I have found two places in the back country that fuel was sold cash only. If the owners didn't know you they asked to leave a guess at the amount of cash needed at the till while you went out back to pump the fuel, then return to tell them the amount and get your change. The cost of fuel is higher to cover the gov't hoops of providing fuel to the public and instead of griping about the cost I thank them for making fuel available.

I put all my coins as change in a bowl at the end of the day. I don't like to carry coins in my pocket. Once a year I take them to my credit union to change to paper bills. They do not charge for counting. Before turning in I remove all the pennies. I have found that the coin count is very close to $17 per pound. A year's collection is usually about 18 to 20 pounds. With this great "windfall" I go out and buy myself a "toy".

Cash. I never leave home without it!

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Yes, if certain people get their way.
Think about it, if every transaction had to be with a card, there would be an electronic trail to everything you do or go.
I ask this seriously. So what?

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 05-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
I still prefer using cash even thou I have gotten quite comfortable with using Apple Pay on my iPhone. Biggest problem with electronic payment is when their system is down. Unfortunately that seems to be happening with more frequency.
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #19
DMP
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jax , Florida
Yes, besides cell phones and computers, cash is one of the filthiest things imaginable. But I still use it, have never used a debit card, get paid with a hard check, and still write checks at the grocery store. Oh yeah, our kids and grandkids call us dinosaurs, but we keep track of ourselves just fine thank you Our cc has been breached twice, credit union caught those transactions immediately, and no issues since.
I suppose it’s a control thing with us. We like knowing where our assets are. We do visit “cash only” restaurants occasionally, and watch all the people new to the scene desperately ask where the closest atm is.
Just spent 2weeks with my grandson working on “counting money” in his distance learning. Hmmmm...
DMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Cash, Check, Charge or Debit

I was always a cash guy. Until a few years ago. No Debit card yet and I still carry a small amount of cash. Most of our major purchases over the past 25 years or so have been with GM Mastercard. We have so far saved over $25K on GM new car purchases. Last one was a 2014 Chevy Cruze LT with RS Package. MSRP was $22k. We had $4600.00 in GM points, Loyalty cash, Rebate $$, and Veterans discount. Paid $13,500.00 OTD. They let us put $3k on the GM card!! So I am a real fan of plastic money. We never carry a balance so the points ($$$) are real dollars to us.

A couple of countries in this world are almost cashless. I think we are moving that direction. That may be good or bad. Don't know. Time will tell.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote