Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
I hate thieves!

it's not a big thing, BUT i was raised to believe that if it wasn't given to you or if you didn't buy it , you were stealing it.

We own our own small business here in CT. we are only open 4 months of the year, Sept-Dec. We also store our Airstream here. 99% of the people that we see here are wonderful, it's the other 1% that give you 100% of your grief.

About 2 weeks ago my son noticed some visitors walking around the AS looking at it and looking in the windows. He thought nothing of it when the man with the group, it was a mom and dad and 2 small children, give the door what he thought was a tug.

A couple of hours later, Lucy our bully dog who is with us All the time decided that she had had enough of staying with me and started her usual get me out of this place bark, so I took her up to the Airstream, where she LOVES to spend time sleeping on the guacho and people watching out the front window.

When I got to the door I noticed that my "hickstick" was missing. My "hickstick" was a small exterior door lock that many of you here have made to keep your door from flying open on the road. Mine was made out a piece of plypropolene. Now this "hickstick" has been to Mount Rushmore and back and woek just great. I'm so mad that someone would just steal it. If they had any class they could have come inot our store and I would have gladly let then trace it so they could have mad there own.

Our some Josh was mad because he actually saw the guy stealing it and it never accured to him what was happening when the guy was "trying the door latch"
OK I've vented and I feel better, now time to go to work!

P.S. we have had another MUCH bigger Airstream Stealing but that will have to what until I have more time. That one really p***ed me off because we almost became a 2 airstream family.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
So, not only is he a thief, but his wife is ok with stealing, and they're teaching their children stealing is ok too. What a jerk. Well, stronger words do come to mind...
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
You better look around - they probably have stolen something else.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
What goes around comes around. Hope he enjoys bailing out his juvenile deliquents.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
That is rotten. I cannot imagine anyone doing that! PS I had a bulldog for thirteen wonderful years...Lucy looks adorable!
2vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
It is hard to believe someone would steal such a trivial thing,which really has no real meaning for him and he probably dont even have a use for it.
Two things I can't stand are Liars and Thieves. My momma taught me better.
You wait Remember that guy, HE WILL RETURN Be ready.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Yes theft sucks. It never ceases to amaze me as to what someone will take if given the opportunity.

Likewise I'm amazed at the level of trust exhibited during several of my New England travels.

I remember stopping at a maple cooperative store in Wolfsboro, NH several years back, and there was no one in the store. After a few minutes of waiting I called out and was answered by someone upstairs. He yelled down for my to make my selection(s), record my purchases on the note pad next to the door and pay for it using the small cashbox.

Honesty is a character trait that seems to be lacking in today's society, but I guess the honor systems still works in some parts of this great land.

It was fantastic maple syrup BTW.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Reminds me of the last trip we took. I went inside the gas station to give them my credit card to start the pump and the gentleman told me it wasn't locked. He said, "You're in Iowa now!" We're from California & I almost fell over!
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Annette, sorry to hear that. Given how your business is set up, it must be tough to keep that 1% from causing grief.

Now I'm curious about the "two airstream family" story...

Hope the season is going well so far.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

My brother was in Iceland a few years ago and he was walking into a supermarket when he noticed a bunch of babies in strollers on the sidewalk in front of the store, with no supervision at all. He asked about the situation, and was told that the babies are left there to visit with each other while the moms/ dads shop.
How's that for trust? It's hard to wrap your mind around, with all the crime and wierdos we have to deal with here.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I noticed the other day that it appears someone, somewhere, recently had tried to get into the rear storage door at the back of our trailer. I guess they didn't try too hard, as I'm sure they would have gotten it open, but you could see a distinct mark and depression in the door where a screwdriver had been inserted at the upper edge and pried down.

So far, touch wood,we have been lucky with home and vehicles with respect to theft, but it sure must be a frustrating feeling when you are ripped off.

In a similar vein, a couple of summers ago, I attended a huge motorcycle gathering that is held in a small lakeside town near my home every Friday the 13th. It attracts upwards of 30,000 enthusiasts for the one day event.

Well, I got there early and was able to park my bike right on the main seat. While getting ready to leave for a stroll, I placed my wallet on the seat of the bike, and, you guessed it, walked off and left it there!

It was more than two hours later when I missed my wallet and realized what I had
done. I rushed back to my bike, sure I would find nothing, but there sat my wallet, just where I left it, with many hundreds if not thousands of bikers having walked past it in the interim!

Sure renewed my faith in Mankind!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
The back tire cover went missing from my 88 325 very hard to find replacement managed to get a generic box type that is simaler from A/S thru dealer but not the original style. Some moron!! I think just wanted to see what was under the cover also bent off the radio antena, Broke the entrance door window, managed to find another on Ebay. But now have put unit in better secure storage! Jon
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
hickstick patterns

In Alaska people assume the other guy is heavily armed as well. Very little theft that way.

I want to know more about the "hicksticks". photos? What shapes have people made? What do you make them out of?

"Use of deadly force authorized."
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Safri 64
Mine is as simple as a Rubber Door Stop that I drilled a 1/2 hole thru the rubber with a wood drill, at the big end to attach a short bungee with a ball.
Just stick it from the front of the grab handle toward the back and giver an smack wiff my fist and its in there to stay. The small rubber bungee is so I don't lose it by layin it down. We have a cup hook inside the door for hangin' it at night or when parked, so some wise acre don't have the brilliant idea of lockin us in.LOL
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64 View Post
In Alaska people assume the other guy is heavily armed as well. Very little theft that way.

I want to know more about the "hicksticks". photos? What shapes have people made? What do you make them out of?

"Use of deadly force authorized."
Here's mine. I made it from wood. PM me an email address and I will send you a template so you may make one for yourself.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.Door Latch and suicide Lock 002.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	89370  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid