Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
how much wind is too much?

Noticed that the National Weather Service forecast says "THURSDAY NIGHT...CONSIDERABLE CLOUDINESS WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS. LOWS IN THE LOWER 70S. EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 MPH DECREASING TO 5 TO 10 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN 40 PERCENT"

I planned to unhitch my trailer Thursday morning, go to work, then head back to the trailer until Monday. It's not going to be a very pretty holiday weekend, but I love camping - rain or shine. I will be (parallel) parked about 20' from the Indian River and am a little concerned about the wind. Course, I won't be extending the awning but with the stabilizers down, am I okay with possible gusts to 30 mph?

Ohhhhh noooooo, I didn't search this first. I will now - sorry.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
how much wind is too much?

Greetings Laura!

Other than not deploying your awning, you shouldn't need any particular special preparations for winds of the type forecast during your trip. I have had both my Overlander and Minuet out for rallys when thunderstorm winds have included gusts up to 60 MPH. I don't notice much impact while in the coaches until the gust get above 35 to 45 MPH. In fact, the Overlander tends to rock less than the single axle Minuet.

As a suggestion, you will want to be sure to have a length of 2" x 6" planking under each of the stabilizers as gusty wind will tend to force the bases of the stabilizers into the ground if they aren't supported.

I am sure that you will have a fabulous weekend!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Noticed that the National Weather Service forecast says "THURSDAY NIGHT...CONSIDERABLE CLOUDINESS WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS. LOWS IN THE LOWER 70S. EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 MPH DECREASING TO 5 TO 10 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN 40 PERCENT"

I planned to unhitch my trailer Thursday morning, go to work, then head back to the trailer until Monday. It's not going to be a very pretty holiday weekend, but I love camping - rain or shine. I will be (parallel) parked about 20' from the Indian River and am a little concerned about the wind. Course, I won't be extending the awning but with the stabilizers down, am I okay with possible gusts to 30 mph?

Ohhhhh noooooo, I didn't search this first. I will now - sorry.

Laura
Hi Laura.

There are two factors about wind.

One is the speed or velocity, and the second is direction.

Your Airstream, when parked, can easily handle a cross wind of 50 to 60 MPH.

But if the wind is straight on to the front or rear, it can handle 90 to 100 MPH.

It's alway wise to utilize the stabilizer jacks when parked.

However, keep the awning retracted in any winds over about 15 to 20 MPH, or a little more if you have a Zip Dee awning with a center support.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Cool! Winds at East to West will make them at a crosswind. Maybe it'll calm down enough on Sat or Sun to deploy the awning. I will watch it good though - I don't have a center support. Except if you count me - holding onto it!

Oh, Andy, I got those awning handles a while back but still have not put them on. maybe I will this weekend.

Thanks for the tip about wood under the stabilizers. I have some that the PO gave me but have never used. Will now!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
The 77 Overlander I have went thru hurricane Charley,though I wasn`t the owner then,it was parked inland about 30 miles , I was told the wind was around 80mph and hitting it broadside.It survived real good,stayed on all 4.There were many SOB rolled over ,some made it over a few times. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We took a 80 mph side gust on the Oregon coast, opened up both our roadside awnings! You can bet I got latches for them after that.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Here in New Mexico - 30 mph is a slight breeze....

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Here in New Mexico - 30 mph is a slight breeze....

Ken J
I can vouch for that, It's the only place that I have towed to that I could not run in overdrive going downhill.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
...was told the wind was around 80mph and hitting it broadside. It survived real good, stayed on all 4. There were many SOB rolled over ,some made it over a few times.
Just wondering:
- What can one do to secure an Airstream trailer to the ground?
- What would be (or can be) the attachment points (perhaps fabricated) for tie-downs, from the roofs, or from the chassis?
- What do Floridians (or Gulf Coasters) do, do nothing and take chances?
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I think if Momma wants it, Momma is gonna take it!

If the wind is such that it would tip the rig over, preventing that, just think of the speed of the debris hitting broadside
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Just wondering:
- What would be (or can be) the attachment points (perhaps fabricated) for tie-downs, from the roofs, or from the chassis?

Why tie it down? It is on wheels for a reason. Yank that puppy outta there when threatening issues prevail.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Why tie it down? It is on wheels for a reason. Yank that puppy outta there when threatening issues prevail.
Well, I'm thinking of shipping to and keeping the trailer in Hawaii...just a thought at this time.
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Hurricane Resistant

I looked at this one back when,it`s on a barrier island south of here.The folks got too old to travel,strapped it down & put hurricane panels on the windows.It did survive thru quite a of the tail ends of some pretty good hurricanes,also I think Wilma was around 125 mph when it came thru there.
From the destinations painted on the trailer,these folks had made a lot of Wally`s caravans.
Grandkid has it now,and says he is going to restore it,yeah right that was 2 years ago,and it`s still sitting.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 001.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	85746  
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
The 77 Overlander I have went thru hurricane Charley,though I wasn`t the owner then,it was parked inland about 30 miles , I was told the wind was around 80mph and hitting it broadside.It survived real good,stayed on all 4.There were many SOB rolled over ,some made it over a few times. Dave
Quote:
Just wondering:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Our Sovereign spent the early 1990's in Port O' Call (Andrew) and was on Pine Island for hurricane Charley (that was ground zero, winds of 140 or so). The Sovereign has eyebolts on each side of the frame near the back bumper for tie-downs, and it had straps over the tongue. It was the only trailer in the RV park on Pine Island to survive. The owners were spending the Summer in New York and Ohio at the times the hurricanes struck.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #15

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Well, I'm thinking of shipping to and keeping the trailer in Hawaii...just a thought at this time.

Well that certainly does limit your avoidance route planning. I would think some eyebolts as Terry describes would work very well. Spin in some ground augers and add some cable.

Note: We are currently testing several ground auger applications for manufacturer. I have been surprised at how well they hold.

My primary worries would be impact damage from flying debris, and flooding.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I am normally parked at Landyacht Haven in Melbourne Florida - One of the requirements is to use tie downs. There are already fasteners installed below ground. Owners use everything from chains to ubolts to tie down.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
What do you guys think about hooking up to the tow vehicle when a storm is going to have high winds? Good or bad idea? My tow vehicle weighs more than the trailer and I would think with the wd hitch and sway bars on it would hold things pretty stable on the front anyway. Well, at least if you are hooked up you can pull out in a hurry if need be.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
What do you guys think about hooking up to the tow vehicle when a storm is going to have high winds? Good or bad idea? My tow vehicle weighs more than the trailer and I would think with the wd hitch and sway bars on it would hold things pretty stable on the front anyway. Well, at least if you are hooked up you can pull out in a hurry if need be.
I think that would probably put two vehicles in harm's way, instead of just one.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Terry,
I was thinking about what to do when the trailer is used for camping and traveling. The truck is right there anyway and in that situation there is no garage to put the TV in. I guess I should have said that. I only think of my trailer in situations when traveling as I don't live in mine.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Terry,
I was thinking about what to do when the trailer is used for camping and traveling. The truck is right there anyway and in that situation there is no garage to put the TV in. I guess I should have said that. I only think of my trailer in situations when traveling as I don't live in mine.
That's a little different, but the answer would still be the same. Any wind strong enough to lift the front of your trailer is also strong enough to lift the back, or roll it on its side. In either of those scenarios, the action of the trailer moving in an uncontrolled manner will almost certainly damage the tow vehicle as well. For example, it may bend the hitch receiver, or tear it completely off.
It would be better to park the tow vehicle near the trailer, preferably on the prevailing windward side, by doing so it would partly shield the trailer from wind or debris.