Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hawthorne , New York
Knowledge is power

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
Yeah. Why do people ask inappropriate questions? IMO, it is rude to talk about money, whether it is about finances, income or costs of big ticket items.
Not owning my AS yet, I have been trying to keep up to speed on the sales to get an idea of what things are worth. For people like me, asking what an AS is worth or cost is just to have an idea of what I should be paying. There are a lot of sites on the internet that help you know what you should be paying for a car (kbb, edmunds, etc.) but that's not the case with AS. Ultimately I just want to know that I am getting a fair deal.

I could see that answering this question in a campground may be awkward and may open yourself to theft or judgment but answering online to let a newbie know what to pay is just helping out as far as I am concerned.
user497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
How much was it new in 1964? $5780.00
How much did I pay for it 40 years later in 2004? $4000.00
How much do I have into it 5 years later? $8000.00
How much left to do? More than I have to spend.
How much is it worth to MY family? Priceless!

I also have $40k into a nice $20K antique car.

Cost is relative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140030.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	94267  
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by user497 View Post
...answering online to let a newbie know what to pay is just helping out as far as I am concerned.
which is why/how the ongoing poll may be more useful 4 your needs...

da poll...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...-a-s-3563.html

maybe.

the funny "here's your sign" question i see here often is this...

"i just bought a blah-blah, and now wanna know what it's worth."

seldom is the purchase price mentioned IN the question above,

and never does the new buyer associate the ACTUAL purchase just made with worth in their posting...

the poll suggests >50% of nearly 1000 buyers HERE paid under 10k...

this is a cheap crowd...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Bonita , Texas
$1000 initial purchase and I have another 1k in the resto so far. Plan to put another 3k or so in it to get it on the road.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...7-clyde-2.html
Clyde-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We get this question every single time someone sees into our AS because we had it custom finished on the inside. I understand the question because before we went this route we wanted to know what it was going to cost to take a new shell and custom finish the inside. What I didn't expect is the reaction from some people when we give them the answer. Some are nice as in, "Well, it's a nice job." Or, "we'd like to do that." Others actually try to make us feel guilty for spending the money - llike we broke some sort of rule and are too indulgent. So, I've learned to spot why people are asking. Are they really interested because they'd like to make some custom changes to their unit? Or, are they just plain nosy and want to make us feel guilty. I've never understand the need to make others feel guilty for enjoying what they've worked hard to achieve.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
We get this question every single time someone sees into our AS because we had it custom finished on the inside. I understand the question because before we went this route we wanted to know what it was going to cost to take a new shell and custom finish the inside. What I didn't expect is the reaction from some people when we give them the answer. Some are nice as in, "Well, it's a nice job." Or, "we'd like to do that." Others actually try to make us feel guilty for spending the money - llike we broke some sort of rule and are too indulgent. So, I've learned to spot why people are asking. Are they really interested because they'd like to make some custom changes to their unit? Or, are they just plain nosy and want to make us feel guilty. I've never understand the need to make others feel guilty for enjoying what they've worked hard to achieve.
I am curios how you changed the interior. Are there any pictures posted anywhere?
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
this question is familiar to me, because we have 3 parrots. ALOT of people ask "how much did they cost"? I explain that 2 of 3 were adopted, and try to sort of change the subject by noting that the real cost is food, vet bills, etc.... (Note: we've spent more in doc bills for both adopted birds than either of their placement fees.)

It does however blow my mind how many people ask. i HATE to say this, but its often people in a lower economic class... (trying to be PC here).

I never remember my mother saying "its not nice to ask that" - somehow i think we just knew?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
I paid $3,000 for mine, too much in restrospect since my Sovereign had two dents in the rear and rear end separation/bathroom floor rot.

I've put about $12k into mine including new axles, wheels, rear aluminum panel replacement, rear end separation repairs, bathroom floor repairs, new holding tanks, new refrigerator, new flexsteel sofa, new bathroom vanity, stainless steel sinks, etc. It's still a lot cheaper than buying a new Airstream, so it's worth it to me.
Don't feel bad, we paid about the same for our Sovereign, and it sounds like it was in similar condition. And we'll have about the same amount into it when we're done.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Us Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
I paid $3,000 for mine, too much in restrospect since my Sovereign had two dents in the rear and rear end separation/bathroom floor rot.

I've put about $12k into mine including new axles, wheels, rear aluminum panel replacement, rear end separation repairs, bathroom floor repairs, new holding tanks, new refrigerator, new flexsteel sofa, new bathroom vanity, stainless steel sinks, etc. It's still a lot cheaper than buying a new Airstream, so it's worth it to me.
Cheers to yall, sounds familiar and enjoyed it most of the time!
Its important to try to get some short trips in if possible to get some satisfaction while the work is being done, it sure helped my wifes attitude!
the flints
Old 01-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
There are two completely different issues here - cost and value.

It's not only the question of money; it's also the time that you have to put into the search for the "right" Airstream, particularly when it comes to a "vintage" trailer.

Additionallty, I feel that the amount exchanged is strictly confidential between the buyer and the seller.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Ken, our unit was featured in the summer, 2009 issue of Airstream Life. It's the issue with the Vegas showgirls on the front.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I can't remember for sure, but I know we paid at least $10,000.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #33
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by user497 View Post
I could see that answering this question in a campground may be awkward and may open yourself to theft or judgment but answering online to let a newbie know what to pay is just helping out as far as I am concerned.
This is why I usually answer the question. But my two are over 30 years old. People are usually quite amazed that: 1: it's as old as it is; and b: it was really quite reasonable.

If I had a new one, I probably would not answer. Just like I do not answer when asked how much my new tow vehicle was.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
Additionallty, I feel that the amount exchanged is strictly confidential between the buyer and the seller.
Some people feel strongly that way. I have occasionally asked people how much they paid for a trailer if it looks similar to mine, just because I like to keep up on the current values for insurance purposes. Some people don't mind sharing, some do.

When I bought my trailer someone on the forum asked how much I paid and I posted it. I didn't see any reason not to.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
love it!

$950.00 just brought it home, no idea on cost of restoring. (its gutted already) 61 overlander. Sat inside with a cup of coffee and admired the COULD BE of it.
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #36
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo&Susan View Post
$950.00 just brought it home, no idea on cost of restoring. (its gutted already) 61 overlander. Sat inside with a cup of coffee and admired the COULD BE of it.
Enjoy that cup of coffee, in fact, best get a coffee pot.... Remember, it is a one step at a time process.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Sat inside with a cup of coffee and admired the COULD BE of it.
That's my favorite part

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #38
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
you'll switch to bourbon soon.