Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Household Storage Options - NOT RV

Soooooo, looks like another lay-off is headed my way. I've applied and interviewed all over this country but nothing has materialized for one reason or another. If nothing transpires in the next six weeks, I'll be towing my Airstream back to Florida and living on a friends property until something changes!

Too damn bad the Silver Olive is half torn apart with projects strewn all over the place But, I've packed most of my tools and projects in a neat manner for the trip. And when I get in place, I will have plenty of time to get her in good shape for living!!!

My plan is to take only what I need to live in the trayla, and store the rest here in Maryland. When I accept a new job (possibly in another state), then I'll pay to have it moved to wherever (and whenever) that may be.... I think I have 3 options:
  1. Move my crap to a self storage unit, then hire a moving company to transport it to me later, when I get into a new home.
  2. Move my crap to a self storage unit, then fly back to MD at a later date to load and transport it myself to my new home.
  3. Move my crap to one of those mobile cube storage units and then let them store and transport it to me at a later date.

I'm more focused on the most economical. I don't really need access to the crap after I put it in storage as I won't be local anymore.... and there's no way I'll pay to have it moved to FL for storage. Cause by then I'll end up with a job in Colorado and need to have it moved again!

Do any of you have advice on what option I should select? Or see another viable option?

Thanks,
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I'm more focused on the most economical. I don't really need access to the crap after I put it in storage as I won't be local anymore.... and there's no way I'll pay to have it moved to FL for storage. Cause by then I'll end up with a job in Colorado and need to have it moved again!
There are two key points in your statement:
1 - You don't really need to access the stuff after it's in storage.
2 - You won't pay to have it moved.

Seems to me your answer is simple. Don't store it. Sell it. If you don't need it, why have it at all?
Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Need to redefine crap, can it be replaced by newer or better at a later date. Storage can be a disaster for too long a time, a/c space is expensive, in FL a must due to humidity. Friends just had 10 yrs of living in Fl and decided to become expats in Ecuador, ss check can be sent anywhere, garage sales and give away down to 8 suitcases airlines allowed. Dog was greater cost than their tickets;( Good Luck or better checklist of crap
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
DaveFL hit the nail on the head. If you don't need it, why store it? We had a nice bed that wasn't very old, and my wife wanted to store it while we full-time. I had her figure out how many months of storage would pay for a new bed. The bed was sold on our auction.

We have some family heirlooms in storage, either with our children or in a storage unit. Those are the only exceptions to the general rule of "get rid of it."
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Okay - it feels like crap because I'm packing for the third move in 4 years. I have pared down to a 600 sq ft home - mostly family antiques and things I want to keep. As I do anticipate setting up a home again --- hopefully within the next 3-6 months!!! The Airstream residency will be temporary. I'll take the necessities (including an Interview Suit) and tools to finish my projects.
Headed to FL because my family is there, I have a few places I can hook up on private land and the climate is acceptable for a trayla (w/o heat as my furnace is the recall Suburban).

I'm still undecided in how to store/move my crap, eh... home goods . Those mobile pods are pretty expensive but I have no idea how they compare to being transported cross country vs a large hauler. And it's hard to compare since I don't, yet, have an expected delivery local. Could be in DC as easily as anywhere.

Still appreciate advice/suggestions!

Laura
Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Miss Laura.. I go for door 3 for things you CANNOT replace. Get the Pod(s), store 'locally'... have them 'delivered' to your new LZ ....

Now, my personal choice for 'long term' storage is 'cash'... If I have a LOT of CANNOT replace stuff, then I will buy one of those 'shipping containers'... have it landed on a friend's property, seal it.. well. Then walk away.. they run about $2500 around here... they 'drop' them off and they are 'yours' forever.

When you land... you can get someone who can load up the container and deliver to you... or, fly back and have it offloaded into a moving van.... This will pay for itself in less than a year based upon the amount of storage it provides.

You can then 'sell' the container to someone in the need... or, turn it into a Home!!! They are pretty rugged and not too beat up if you buy right.

Hey.. you could turn it into a 'portable shop' if you need to as well.. =)
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I think I have 3 options:
  1. Move my crap to a self storage unit, then hire a moving company to transport it to me later, when I get into a new home.
  2. Move my crap to a self storage unit, then fly back to MD at a later date to load and transport it myself to my new home.
  3. Move my crap to one of those mobile cube storage units and then let them store and transport it to me at a later date.
Do any of you have advice on what option I should select? Or see another viable option?

Thanks,
Laura[/QUOTE]

I believe you have another option that you probably haven't thought of, say we are in the same position you are in great and made we have to move to Charleston South Carolina what do we do with Aristotle were not taking with us? Like you I don't want to do the load unload load unload multiple times, storage units are expensive, pods and other moving companies like that are also highly expensive, I just price a move from Greenville Tennessee to Charleston South Carolina with pods and it was over 3000. 00, it is only 330 miles from here to there.
Alternate choice is a cargo trailer, they can range from anywhere from 16 feet to 35 feet, 16 to 24 feet can be pulled with a half-ton truck, over that length you would need to go to the next bigger truck.
This is the choice that I have made I already own a 30 foot car trailer, we are going to get rid of all the stuff is not necessary that's easily replaced, the remainder of the stuff is being packed in 18 ft. plastic boxes, all that will be loaded into the trailer until it is full. By stacking furniture and making shelves I should be able to fit this entire three-bedroom home into it. If necessary I can purchase a second trailer to load, then all I have to do is to drive back up and haul them down to Charleston. After we are done there in about a year or little more then all I have to do is move it back here, there is a warehouse here that I can store the trailer in until I need it or need to get into it.
I don't know about where you are but most of your temp control storage places have a section for autos, boats, campers, etc. This may be an option for you then when you get ready to move it if you do not want to do it yourself you can go on UShip and hire someone to pull it for you.
UShip is a group of people that move less than truck load items all over the country. Many use the same type trailer I have. The smaller the tow unit the cheaper the cost, and what I mean is 1 ton truck vs semi.
Hope this helps, by the way the container thing is also a good idea and those can be purchased from container companies and auctions for between 1000.00 to 5000.00 dollars, they range from 10 ft box to 20 and 40 foot lengths, only catch is to move one you would have to hire a semi. I have a friend (Lynn Hope Towing) who moves the 20 foot containers on his rollbacks. Which in a couple of years is going to be the business I plan on starting moving these containers and even possibly buying and selling a few. I just passed up a contract for building a fire training station out of containers, couldn't do it with the temporary move in progress.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:23 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
There are two key points in your statement:

1 - You don't really need to access the stuff after it's in storage.

2 - You won't pay to have it moved.

Seems to me your answer is simple. Don't store it. Sell it. If you don't need it, why have it at all?

This is the approach. Sell, and move the rest to your relatives now. Fly back for it later.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Laura, In my last post I made several word errors, most of them I caught and corrected, but some I did not catch and just seen when re-reading it, so I am going to try and make it now.

Here are the ones I caught;
Aristotle- Suppose to be our stuff.
18 ft boxes- 18 cubic foot boxes

When I did that last post I was using Dragon Naturally Speaking program that I had gotten for Christmas and I am still in a learning thing with it plus it does not always understand words I say because I can not pronounce them clearly, So please bear with me.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I've made a lot of moves over my lifetime, and while some were corporate nearly all involved some personal responsibility. Count yourself lucky you don't have pets to deal with!

I've tried every route you have suggested. Have used rental trucks (Penske is the best), rental trailers (had a blowout on a Uhaul..), and have used personally hired moving services. For moves of a few hundred miles, there are lots of options with everything from College students to outfits that hire out Non-Violent offenders as a rehabilitation service. My last move from Raleigh to Fl, I hired TROSA, TROSA Home A fine outfit that was state of the art and very professional. Their services are at a fraction of the price of the big moving companies. Highly recommend them!

As far as storage is concerned, you can save a bit with truck/storage facility combos (get the first month free with Public Storage), but don't assume you will never need whats in the storage unit. I found myself visiting mine repeatedly even though I thought I had everything I needed for months of house hunting.

Sympathize with your hiring dilemma. But things are looking up in the economy and you have the right attitude. I have no sympathy for folks unwilling to pull up roots and move to the next opportunity. Been there done that many time. My wife and I have worked 1000's of mile apart repeatedly over the span of our careers. Sooner or later you'll find the right spot and the right time for living the lifestyle you desire. Its an educational experience and the journey is the lesson.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
I have also invested in a cargo trailer, and since you are acquainted with trailering thats a good option. Bought a new 12x6 enclosed trailer on closeout at HD. Wanted something reliable. I still have it and yes, I use it as an alternative to a storage unit for things that do not require climate control.

If you are fortunate to find yourself working within a few hundred miles of your ultimate destination, its easy to load up a trailer of stuff and drive it home (or vice versa) on weekends. Did this moving from Raleigh to FL as well.

Sarge has some good ideas. I grew up in a USAF family in the 50's & 60's and we moved every three years. We got very good at it. Going to new places and making new acquaintances gets in your blood. The time we seriously lightened our load was leaving Newfoundland to move to Charleston AFB. We left behind all kinds of winter clothes/coats, sleds/skis, and other stuff we could not use in SC and then some. Gave it all to our Maid/Nanny, and her husband and kids... a poor fisherman's family. They were extremely grateful. Donation has its plusses too.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Laura, In my last post I made several word errors, most of them I caught and corrected, but some I did not catch and just seen when re-reading it, so I am going to try and make it now.

Here are the ones I caught;
Aristotle- Suppose to be our stuff.
18 ft boxes- 18 cubic foot boxes

When I did that last post I was using Dragon Naturally Speaking program that I had gotten for Christmas and I am still in a learning thing with it plus it does not always understand words I say because I can not pronounce them clearly, So please bear with me.

Sarge
Sarge,

Thanks for the awesome idea! When I left FL five years ago someone did suggest a car carrier and, though I almost pulled it off, I couldn't find one to suit my immediate budget. I completely forgot about this until you suggested it! I'll see what I can do in a month - maybe I can even find a horse trailer to use. Especially since I really hope to get back to trail riding again once I get settled. I think I can fit a 600 sq ft "minimalist" home into a 3-horse bumper pull!!! Just need to pack properly for possible leaks.

No problems with the typos. When I saw "Aristotle" I figured you had some kind of autocorrect. I get many autocorrect errors when texting --- sometimes leading to some fairly interesting messages.

Thank you again - this is an option that I think I can pull off. I'll start scanning craigslist this weekend.

Laura
Old 01-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Autokerrekt = autodial

Laura... There is a trucking outfit who will show up with a trailer and deliver on an agreed schedule to 'fill' their 'return routes'...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote