Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
HGTV RV Show

HGTV just ran a show on RV's and acccessories. No Airstreams but I found this unit very interesting. There is no wood used in the construction. A couple features:

Torsion Axles
All Aluminum Framed, Vacuum Bonded Construction (Walls, Floor, Roof And Interior Walls)
In Frame (Below Floor) Roto-Cast Holding Tanks (Insulated And Heated)

Construction | Earthbound RV
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Personally Saw At Tampa RV Show

Just got back from the Tampa RV show and saw this RV, it was really a nice unit, and designed very nice. All the cabinetry and appointments were especially appealing. Every inch of the the unit was very well thought out. Some of the ideas, such as wraparound aluminum on the curved cabinet wall was very cool. They used European style appliances and the windows were pop out acrylic (not so cool but neat in usage). The color schemes were very nice as well.

Wanted to see if Bates had the new Eddie Bauer on display, but not to be found. Guess we will have to wait till next month to see that. Nothing new to see at the Airstream side of it, but did note that Dometic now has new thermostat controls that are long and rectangular with a circular digital display in the middle. Need to find out about that!

Nancy
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I missed it but I got the show set on the dvr for 2am Saturday I will watch it a little later...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
TV show

Gary, We are sorry that you missed the Cleveland IX RV show on the 8th. We got to see this Earthbound trailer. It was interesting for sure. It was pretty nice looking. It was pretty sleek. I didn't really like the dark interior that the one we saw had. I think the cabinetry makes it look ultra modern, but not really homey. Those that like "modern" interiors will probably like it. I like my light colored wood in the AS. Apparently, Avalon Trailer Sales up near us on Rt. 18 carries these if anyone wants to see them.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
Gary, We are sorry that you missed the Cleveland IX RV show on the 8th. We got to see this Earthbound trailer. It was interesting for sure. It was pretty nice looking. It was pretty sleek. I didn't really like the dark interior that the one we saw had. I think the cabinetry makes it look ultra modern, but not really homey. Those that like "modern" interiors will probably like it. I like my light colored wood in the AS. Apparently, Avalon Trailer Sales up near us on Rt. 18 carries these if anyone wants to see them.
Lou,

Sorry we missed that show also and the chance to see the group you attended with. The Columbus show is on all this week but the vendors are all the local ones with typical SOB's. I'd really like to see the Earth Bound. The lines just appeal to me.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's a video of the 29 foot model:

Video Gallery | Earthbound RV
Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgl6 View Post
I missed it but I got the show set on the dvr for 2am Saturday I will watch it a little later...SAM
Sam

At the end of that program they highlight some of the best things to buy. I am interested in the coolie cups they show but did not get the company name, could you please email me the name if you happen to see it.

Thanks
Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Earthbound

We got to take a look at the Earthbound this past Thursday at the Tampa RV Supershow. Really liked the storage access at the front side along with the way the propane tanks are hidden under the front cover. Makes the trailer look very sleek and frees up the clutter on the tongue for other stuff. The workmanship looked top notch. However, I forgot to ask them if you could mount a bike rack on the back of the frame. I think this will be a great travel trailer at its current price point.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
What is the current price point?

I really like the looks of it as well. Hopefully we'll see some at the Austin RV show.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Sam

At the end of that program they highlight some of the best things to buy. I am interested in the coolie cups they show but did not get the company name, could you please email me the name if you happen to see it.

Thanks
Gary
Here's the can insulator - and for $4 less:

ShopThermos.com Stainless Steel Beverage Can Insulator
Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
What is the current price point?

I really like the looks of it as well. Hopefully we'll see some at the Austin RV show.
From what I can see, they seem to be in the mid 40K range. Looks like their highest price unit is about 49K. I would like to see one of these in person. Interesting concepts.

http://www.earthboundrv.com/wp-conte....0-Website.pdf

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I forgot to ask them if you could mount a bike rack on the back of the frame.

I think I saw that there is a Hitch receiver option on these trailers.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
The Evergreen RV travel trailers look to be similar in design and construction. Went to the discussion site and noted that the buyers compared their TT's to the AS. With aluminum at peak prices and the younger buyers looking at the "greeness" of RV's, trailers like this will gain in popularity as they can be towed with vehicles leaving a smaller carbon footprint and cost considerably less.

I watched the original airing of the show and there were several mentions of lighter, greener RV's.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I saw the Evergreen at a nearby RV show in Toronto last year, and I believe that CanAm, the Airstream dealer in London is now also a dealer for Earthbound.

What really appealed to e about these trailers is that they are light weight - similar to Award we owned for quite a few years and liked very much.

As well what really impressed me was the move away from pretty much all wood in teh construction of the shells - most notably the floor which is some sort of composite material supposedly impervious to rot.

I can't understand for the life of me why Airstream hasn't pioneered that type of floor construction, especially considering the price of the product.

This is our first Airstream and I was quite surprised to learn it still had a wooden floor.

I did find out before buying so went ahead with my eyes open, but wasn't happy about it!

Seems to me I read that quite a few years ago. AS experimented with composite floors and sold some models - I think some of the Argosy models in certain years?

Apparently it wasn't a success at that time. But time and technology march on, surely it is time to look again!

At the time we bought, Earthound and Evergreen were not available. Even now, they don't offer a version that has a floorplan we like as much as our AS but I will be watching both Companies closely in future. Some of those design features would be a big selling point for me.

No doubt there will be others manufacturers following suit.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote