Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Good point.. thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Don't use a strap all the way around the top - may dent the trailer. Just cut off the bad part and replace later or use duct tape once cleaned out to hold it up for now. Not a major issue for shipping to the UK and you can have it fixed later.

Mike
Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Thank you... i was wondering if the black bits were seeds or rodent poop.. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Ken is correct, it is from a mesquite tree. Let me know if you need more, my backyard fills up with them every year. Most likely a rodent was storing them in the pan.

I would have the tower keep any panels that have fallen off and remove anything about to fall off. Toss the pods and isulation. Tie and duct tape everything else and keep on trucking.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
You've gotten a lot of help already, so I'll keep this brief. Plumbers tape, that 3/4 inch wide very flexible metal with a line of holes running in the longitudinal direction, is a more secure attach method than gray tape by itself. Attach it with sheet metal screws to the belly pan and then attach the ends to the lower trailer skin on both sides. Then use the gray tape to seal off the leading edge to avoid scooping air. Good luck.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I don't know much about the belly pan, but I concur with Silverback... definitely mesquite bean pods (from trees)...so you don't have a bean plant growing in there...a rodent probably used them to help with a nest.

Good luck with it...TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:29 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Thanks bob, thats a good tip as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkelly
You've gotten a lot of help already, so I'll keep this brief. Plumbers tape, that 3/4 inch wide very flexible metal with a line of holes running in the longitudinal direction, is a more secure attach method than gray tape by itself. Attach it with sheet metal screws to the belly pan and then attach the ends to the lower trailer skin on both sides. Then use the gray tape to seal off the leading edge to avoid scooping air. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:33 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Thanks for your good wishes and to all that have added comments...
The trailer has now been left in a secluded place to be picked up later when it can be made safe for towing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
I don't know much about the belly pan, but I concur with Silverback... definitely mesquite bean pods (from trees)...so you don't have a bean plant growing in there...a rodent probably used them to help with a nest.

Good luck with it...TB
Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Angry You have a pack rat infestation

As soon as I saw your pictures I knew what was going on. That's the work of an ambitious band of pack rats. They are extremely distructive. I would be worried about brake lines, anything that is not metal is chewable or suitable as nesting material for these spawn of satan. I have experienced thousands (literally) of dollars of damage as a result of packrats. They eat wiring (found the electrocuted bodies hanging onto wires in my hottub after they'd eaten through the $600 wiring harness and circuit board.) They ate the wiring harness of Bill's old pick-up. They built a nest--in less than 4 hours--in my son's intake manifold on his souped up truck that got sucked into the engine. Their highly concentrated urine will literally etch concrete and dissolve paint.

If that came out of your belly pan, I can only imagine what the inside of the coach looks like. I betting the fluffy stuff came out of one of your gauchos.

You have a very serious problem my friend.
There could be literally hundreds of pounds of assorted trash inside the trailer that is saturated with urine and feces. You need to have somebody put on full protective clothing and, wearing a respirator, clean it all out because I doubt you will be allowed to ship it--nor would you want to-- the way it is. Believe it or not packrats are predatory of deer mice and you sometimes find deer mouse carcasses in pack rat nests. Deer mice carry the deadly Hantavirus. That's why whoever you get to clean it out for you must take hazmat precautions.

Good Luck and keep us posted
Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
Belly pan fix

I had a 66 land yacht. The whole under pan started to pull off as I was on the road. Have your driver find a metal shop or home gutter fabrcator. If you have removed the pods have someone attach heavy guage alluminum with self tapping stainless screws. The pannels can then be calked to keep out the weather. Mine lasted for years. Sold the trailer 10 years latter, still no problems! GOOD LUCK
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:35 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
wow.... you really have me a bit worried
I am a more than concerned about this... I will keep you posted and let you have some more pics when we can Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
As soon as I saw your pictures I knew what was going on. That's the work of an ambitious band of pack rats. They are extremely distructive. I would be worried about brake lines, anything that is not metal is chewable or suitable as nesting material for these spawn of satan. I have experienced thousands (literally) of dollars of damage as a result of packrats.
Good Luck and keep us posted
Old 08-11-2007, 01:38 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Hi Thanks for that It's still waiting to be moved at the mo

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson
I had a 66 land yacht. The whole under pan started to pull off as I was on the road. Have your driver find a metal shop or home gutter fabrcator. If you have removed the pods have someone attach heavy guage alluminum with self tapping stainless screws. The pannels can then be calked to keep out the weather. Mine lasted for years. Sold the trailer 10 years latter, still no problems! GOOD LUCK
Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Hi All
Just an update of sorts..... the trailer is still were it was so it missed it's shipping date It is due to be picked up today and taken to the pest control guy for fumigation....
Old 08-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks for the update. I've been wondering about it.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
dork: when you say fumigation, what exactly are you going to have done? If a pest control person simply puts out poison bait, then the packrats could die inside the walls of your trailer...obviously not a good thing. Make sure know exactly what the pest control company is going to do to insure there are no more nasty critters in your trailer. Good Luck!! And keep us posted.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:12 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Hi
The trailer has been checked out and apparently the pack rats are long gone but the ants are still very much in the present.
The pest guy is going to take it to his yard and give the trailer a proper going over for beasties, fumigate the ants for us and give us a certificate so that we have no problems at the dock
So hopefully thats another hurdle covered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
dork: when you say fumigation, what exactly are you going to have done? If a pest control person simply puts out poison bait, then the packrats could die inside the walls of your trailer...obviously not a good thing. Make sure know exactly what the pest control company is going to do to insure there are no more nasty critters in your trailer. Good Luck!! And keep us posted.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Our trailer is due into the port tomorrow then we can breathe a sigh of relief..
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Congratulations. What an ordeal. Can't wait to see arrival photos.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
I will post them as soon as it comes in... should be 3 wks... will be in a sorry state tho...
Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Red Oak , Texas
Did it arrive safely? I really empathized with your situation and the frustration at being so far away. I hope the remainder of the trip was without incident.
SharonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
SAN ANTONIO , Texas
beans

yep, those be mesquite beans. Not bad when ground into flour and used for baking bread, so I've heard say.
SKEETER is offline   Reply With Quote