Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hearing Aids

CHEAP BROAD - I need hearing aids, but $5000? Really? Back in the day (1960) eyeglasses were hugely expensive... then there was.a.revolution in lens cutting, middlemen were eliminated, and I got first pair for 1/3 what they cost 20 some years earlier. Now I see all the ads on TV and the internet, (especially ones that are rechargeable)... so knowing that most people here aren't averse to paying for something upscale, but also enjoy a bargain...
Has anyone here gotten any of these new ones that get tuned in over the internet, are rechargeable and are discreetly sized. Please share your experiences. Did you try bargain ones, then opt to upgrade from a hearing aid franchise to a full fledged MD Otolaryngology practice and big.bucks? Vice-versa? And got same improvement for less time, hype and money?
Old 10-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I hear (no pun intended) that the OTC Bose units are pretty nifty and cost effective. Full disclosure: One of the actors in the commercial is my wife.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Yes, I did try the inexpensive ones from interweb advs. Yes, I did return them for a full refund. Yes, I did spend about $6K on fabulous ones and I don't regret one PENNY of the expenditure. I've talked with many a friend who opted for the less expensive. They've all had problems, and they don't get the Very Useful features of the modern ones. Mine are Oticon brand. My local service and customer support is Outstanding. They are controlled by by iPhone and Apple Watch, as well as on-board switches. Go For The Big Bucks from a provider you trust. Call me if you want to talk. (I'll be talking to you through my hearing aids - just one of the neat features.)
~GH
TAC VA-18 | ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Looked at $5,000 ones and tried them for a weekend. Then went to Costco and bought a much better pair for $1,500. Free exam and programming, and replaced one for free when I lost it. Can not recommend more highly.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What?
Old 10-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Anyone; in ear or behind ? I have on order, behind @ $3K
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Yes! I can report a success story.
It was a recent visit with another live human where I discovered to my complete embarassment, I could not hear her voice.

I've had professional audiologist exams before, and they told me I needed those $3,600 an ear devices, and that went, well, in one ear and out the other. Was not gonna go there.

So during a Facebook (I know) session, I came across Lively Hearing Aids.

The summary:
An online hearing test.
Devices calibrated to your ears sent within a week.
Video instructions on how to install them.
After a week or so, an online Zoom call with an audiologist, who reviews your experience, fine tunes your hearing aids over the phone right then as you are online, and explains how to care for the devices and answers any questions.

Linked to my cell phone and IWatch, I can adjust the sensitivity at a touch. Pre-programmed settings for general use, outdoors, music, and a restaurant environment. Three-year warranty. 24/7 support.

My experience - totally awesome! worth every penny. would do it again in a heartbeat. Did you know your trailer creaks and pops? I did not. I can hear my footsteps, conversations, grocery clerks, it is just amazing.

Highly recommended.
Use my name, William Kelly, for $200 off.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There are many kinds of hearing loss. Not all respond to off the shelf cheap aids. This is a buyer beware sort of thing. Costco might work because they do carry established brands, have a hearing center and you can go back if needed for adjustments. I chose to deal with my doctor, paid about $3K and have been very happy. I have a device that links to my TV for watching shows, movies and games. My wife doesn't have to put up with me turning up the volume any more.

Lots of options. Lots of individual differences too.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hearing loss is a major disability. I have suffered for many years. I have behind the ear units with little tubes that fit in my ear canal. Not the greatest, but I can hear with them. The technology is like a paper cup and a string. They were $1800 including the exam and tuning. A big premium considering the technology and manufacturing involved in my view.

When replacement day comes I will be looking at over the counter models. I don't need to pair them with a smart phone or TV. I just want to hear the wife giving me instructions less I get in big trouble.

Explore all your options, and get a test drive.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Costco advised it is the second largest seller of hearing aids next to the VA.

Very good service, good price and hearing aids were successful for a senior parent.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Well I have often advised prospective newbies to rent a trailer for a couple of weeks before buying, or buy gently used the first time, so in that spirit I think I will try something on the less expensive side that has a money back guarantee, and if I do not notice a BIG improvement in sound and clarity, I will go to an otolaryngologist and pay for til my ears bleed!
Old 10-05-2021, 11:41 PM   #12

Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Costco advised it is the second largest seller of hearing aids next to the VA.

Very good service, good price and hearing aids were successful for a senior parent.

Costco sells newest ones for under $2000Ö rechargeable
Apple ios compatible with phone tablet
Also includes a set of replacement should you lose one or both
They also test your hearing as part of the package and maintain your profile
Restategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Costco

Another vote for Costco
Old 10-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And on this subject, if one has a Medicaid card there are usually entities that will provide hearing aids for free.

This would probably not apply to the average reader here, but might help someone you know.

With about 10 seconds online, I found a source in Illinois for someone I know who was looking at thousands of dollars she did not have for hearing aids she desperately needed.

https://www2.illinois.gov/idhhc/reso...Resources.aspx

And none of her medical providers who took her medical card, and with whom she spoke about her hearing loss, referred her to this program.

She not only got a free hearing aid but free, twice annually tuneups and battery changes.

There are low cost options, as well, so if the $$$$ are a hardship donít hesitate to use your friend Google and find out what may be available in your area.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I got mine thru VA, audiologist said cost was over $7,000 but VA is free they are great but i'm stubborn seldom use. VA provides free batts. tune up etc. some va clinics will try not service connected, the one igot mine from no Q. asked pd $50 for exam now all free. IMO some vets that have been turned done for aids go to another clinic try again as some workers think $ comes out there pocket. I don't use VA for any other serv. A word of thought people that I no have rechargeable aids none are happy with them.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
My wife who was born with a profound hearing loss has worn every level of " hearing aid" since she was 3.
She has now at 60 years old worn and tested pretty much everything from the $3000 to $6000 and completely swears by the Costco testing and service and performance. When we are on the road there is usually a Costco somewhere close to get any servicing and cleaning done, and that has come in handy many a time.
Its getting close to that time again and that's where we will go again with confidence.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Anyone; in ear or behind ? I have on order, behind @ $3K
I'll answer your question first. You need to know how bad your hearing is first. Then you need to know what other things you need to fix like tinnitus? You do not want to use "in-ear" devices with tinnitus. It will make the ringing worst. If your hearing is severely compromised, in-ear hearing aids work best. So what if you have tinnitus and have severe hearing loss?

So that is why you go to an audiologist. I have minor hearing loss and medium tinnitus. The hearing aids have to be tuned to your tinnitus hearing loss (caused by lack of hearing in some frequencies) and the right kind of white noise to trick the brain. That takes a lot of time to figure out and requires a very complex hearing test that generates a frequency loss graph. Then it takes someone who is very experienced in working with tinnitus to set up the hearing aids. My tinnitus is annoying without the aids. With the aids, it is gone. Miracle of science!

I am on my third set of hearing aids. Not that I needed to change as all still work, but the technology changes. The last two sets were Bluetooth hearing aids. Starky and now Resound. I enjoy "reading" audiobooks as I work or when I go to bed. I can stream the audio from youtube videos and not disturb my wife. I can take phone calls directly to my aids and listen to music when I want. There are newer aids coming out that will allow for streaming to two devices at the same time like my aids and my wife's AirPod pro's. The quality of sound while streaming in the next-generation hearing aids is going to go up substantially.

Of course no Over the counter hearing aids have FDA approval yet. They do not address and of the complex hearing problems you may have. Here is an article about this:

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ounter-Hearing

And another:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...r-hearing-aids

There also is a popular over-the-counter hearing aid company that will be going out of business soon due to the poor performance of its aids. They've sold the most OTC hearing aids this year! The cost of their aids is $3000.

My advice is to bite the bullet and go to an audiologist for your hearing aids. If Cosco is your thing, that is much better than OTC aids. If you're looking for high-end hearing aids that will provide a myriad of situations like restaurant noise (the worst for me) or television listening through the aids and even phone calls through the aids, look to a high-end professional. I've been to the worst and the best. It takes time to find someone who is knowledgeable about the new technology. Ask your questions upfront and if they say, "Well, let me check with my boss", walk away.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
I hear (no pun intended) that the OTC Bose units are pretty nifty and cost effective. Full disclosure: One of the actors in the commercial is my wife.

I have the Bose hearphones. They do really work. They are bulky so that is a negative. They have different settings and can be adjusted connected to your phone.
I imagine I will migrate to real hearing aids at some point. I do not want to pay the $5k or so for some of those.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Most over-the-counter hearing aids are no more than amplifiers. That is not what a hearing aid does for you. When tested, the audiologist receives a frequency pattern of your hearing loss. He or she can take the graph and fill in the frequency loss you have with those frequencies that you need to hear properly. That's where it starts. Most hearing aids have front microphones and rear microphones and they can be useful in situations like restaurants where you need full front microphones turned on to avoid picking up sound behind you. You also have settings to make the hearing aids even more functional. Your phone can use its GPS to locate what restaurant you are at and can turn on that program when you return to that restaurant at a later date.

Some of these types of programs are what you are paying for with real hearing aids.

Cheap hearing amplifiers have a distinct crackle and pop with sharp sounds. My hearing aids filter out the noise created by sharp sounds so that they can provide you with a smooth transition between this type of sound. The same is true with common sounds like vacuuming the carpet. An amplifier will not be able to cut off the horrendous sound of an amplified vacuum cleaner. My aids can and make it seamlessly smooth in the sound transition when you turn the vacuum on.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:54 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , AZ
Great experience with Costco, on my 3rd or 4th set over the last 15 years. When I bought my last set, the price went down after the purchase and Costco refunded the difference. Also let me test drive the brand name set along with the Costco brand, and ultimately I liked the Costco brand better. Free cleaning, adjustments, etc.
vwii is offline   Reply With Quote