Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Just so you know, I am OK, the trailer is safe, I came home today and the police came, they said they could arrest me for a felony, oh boy, I did not know the power and gas being shut off was a problem, apparently it is, I did not get arrested, YET

cclarkego
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
We are still at Camp Comfort, so far no bear sightings, but I hope my little cat comes back soon, or I think she will be another bear's lunch...

cclarkego
Old 10-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I am CURSED by bears! Today I went over to visit my trailer in it's new spot at the RV park here in Ojai. My nice little space, WAY IN THE BACK, in the corner of the park. I was just there the other day, watering the lawn and flowers, cursing the frig for quitting, making snappy little comments to the oven for not working right. I should have kept my mouth shut! I brought a new sewer hose today to replace the old one and when I walked to the back of the trailer, I stopped dead in my tracks. There in the damp dirt were bear tracks. My heart almost quit, I dropped the sewer hose and just like in the movies, I was frozen in space, like when a train is bearing down on you and you are trapped on the tracks. I listened very carefully for any noise in the bushes. I ever so slowly peeked around the trailer. Nothing. I walked around the trailer three times scouting all the ground. The tracks come from up the hill beside me leading to a big ranch and then go up again that direction. I trot quickly over to my neighbor's trailer and make hasty introductions. Has anyone seen a bear here before. Nope....
It can't be the same bear that tried to climb in my trailer from the beginning of this story, the tracks are smaller. I totally can't believe a bear has found me again. I went straight back to my house, had a glass of wine and wondered why the Gods are doing this to me..........

Carol
Old 10-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
maybe it was THIS bear visiting you this time:
Attached Images

redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I never had a bear in my trailer, but while tent camping in the Adirondacks had a bear sit on my tent.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I am going back to the RV park today to meet the repairman armed with my bear spray.
Does anyone think a motion light would scare a bear?

Carol
Old 10-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #107
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First of all Carol, it's best to call him Mr. Bear or Ms. Bear (I doubt you will inspect to check which). I doubt a light will help, bear spray can. The problem is if you want to be near trees, water, other wildlife, berries, and other bear food, there will be bears. Sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't.

I don't blame you for being scared as when I have been close to bears my pulse increases quite a bit. I restrict the encounters to when there are other people around to eat or the bear is quite contently feeding on vegetation, but I've never had the encounters you've had, so who am I to talk? You don't always have a choice about encounters of course. That's when it's hard to remember very few people are ever attacked, it's more dangerous to drive a car or cross the street.

I do have a friend who really did attract bears while wilderness camping and was tracked by one in the Boundary Waters. He's almost as big as a smaller black bear which may have helped. He acted so crazy he probably scared the bear who had developed an affection to his shampoo as well as the food carelessly stowed. I was always nervous about going camping with him.

We see bear scat on our property but have never seen one here, but sometimes a few miles away near a creek.

I'm sure you'll be ok.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #108
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Mid morning in Upper Pines Campground in Yosemite Valley last month, the dogs started barking. I thought "what the heck is wrong with them?" I looked over about 50 feet away and saw this guy. I spoke with the campground host later that day and he said, "oh yeah, that's Orange 85." What? "Yeah he's been here before and they tagged him with a orange radio collar."

Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	113128  
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #109
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I was camping in a State Park in Idaho a few years ago. I had the sewer hose running to one of the big blue totes. I came back to the trailer to find that a bear had bitten the sewer hose, crushing the coil spring , and leaving several large tooth holes in the hose.

The bear was later chased from the campground by a ranger with a bean bag gun.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #110
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
I am going back to the RV park today to meet the repairman armed with my bear spray.
Does anyone think a motion light would scare a bear?

Carol

How about a light mounted on a RIFLE SCOPE!

Personally, I don't want to scare a bear and see how it reacts, but I wouldn't mind having a bear rug

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #111
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
How about a light mounted on a RIFLE SCOPE!

Personally, I don't want to scare a bear and see how it reacts, but I wouldn't mind having a bear rug

Rich the Viking

I wonder if they'd let you keep it for your jail cell.

Regards,

Ken
Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Dear Viking,

How far is Boulder Creek from Ojai? How about you just bring a knock out dart gun and take him away. I didn't see a thing.........

Carol
Old 10-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #113
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I wonder if they'd let you keep it for your jail cell.
I'm pretty sure justifiable homicide criteria trump the game laws. . .
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #114
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
I'm pretty sure justifiable homicide criteria trump the game laws. . .
Homicide only applies to people, I think you need to look up Bearicide.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Now every time I go over there and hear a noise in the brush, it's that knee jerk, doe in the headlight reaction from me. I swear my heart skips a beat. I know bears live in the woods. I never used to be afraid of bears before, well, a little. But ever since that really aggressive bear put his head and legs in the trailer at the beginning of this story, I am terrified of them. If I carried a gun, I think I'd turn it on myself first instead of the bear just to make the fear disappear. I can't move though, the park is perfect, the price is perfect. Seriously, aren't there any bear deterrents out there besides the pee around the trailer trick?

Bearified,
Carol
Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Margo Supplies Ltd - Bear Deterrent Menu

Bear Deterrents | www.bearsmart.com

Carol, It's 313 miles each way. I could do it in about 5 hours if I take my Mini Cooper But I think you can take on this one yourself, with a little bear deterrent. Maybe a bottle of cougar urine or an airhorn on a can.

I have heard that food is the real issue 99% of the time. I would check out the area and see what the draw is. Maybe a dumpster or something is accessible to the big guy and he's just doing what he knows how to do. Chances are there have been other sightings in the area if he's been around for any length of time. If so, you can take this to the police and spca and I bet you would get some interest in moving him away if you are in a well-inhabited place.
Bears are big and scary. I wouldn't want to run into one in my Airstream, but you did and live to tell about it. I think that makes you very special, and obviously the bear does too, for him to follow you all the way to your new digs!

How is the appliance situation? Did you "pick a winner" in the RV appliance repairman lottery?
Whoops! off topic. Answer in the other thread.

Best to you,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Thanks for all the info on bear deterrents, what a supply Margo has! It would be my luck to let the dogs out for a pee at night and set off the trip wire, all the alarms blasting through the RV park...

Don't tell anyone but I actually made my own little contribution behind the trailer last night to see if that works. I smoothed over all the old bear tracks first so I could see if any new ones show up.

Carol
Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #118
Lotus72

1970 27' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
Carol,
this story has to be published in some magazines. You are a fabulous writer. Has this been published anywhere?

Eva
Lotus72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bears, defense