Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Gene, you're up next for the urine sample. Well we are out of sample bottles, but that's all right, I have a catheter here

C

Are you ready? I found a photo from the morning after the bear came. This is where he bashed the screen in on me....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear's Entry Hall.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	93587  
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Carol, I'll mail it in.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Carol, I see the muddy bear paw prints on the window!

on a side note: are your cabs blue?
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Cabs?

Does that mean cabinets? If so, yes.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
No bear,just a snake !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	work 142.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	93739  
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Carol....wonderful recall! Just happy I didn't experience it first hand! Hope all is well...awaiting your email!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Hi SilverPal,

I forgot why I was going to email you.
Do you remember? Let me know, then I will write myself a note to do it......

Carol
Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #68
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
No bear,just a snake !
I had one of those moments when we lived in Florida with a snake.
I walked into the shop, and there was either a coral snake, or king snake. Coral snakes are deadly, king snakes not, and the visual difference is in the order of the stripes on their body. I couldn't remember which was which, so I (of course) left the snake alone, and went to find somebody that might know. I found the service manager, and asked him to come look at something. He arrived, took one look at the snake, and started running in circles, screaming like a little girl...My hero...
I ended up cutting off its head with a shovel, and throwing the two pieces in a dumpster. Never did find out if it was a coral snake or king snake...
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #69
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Here's proof of incurable Aluminitis:
One of the first thoughts to cross my mind when reading the beginning of the original story was,

"Thank god it's a '65 and not a '66! Damn bear would've broke every last Corning window he could find!"
Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Big foot

I found some more photos of my friend the bear. Unfortunately not of him. Just his footprint. It was up at the lake where I went after he decided to visit my trailer. I somehow knew he would still be lurking around, but whoever believes me....? I was trying to put my foot next to it so you could see the size. Just believe this, HE WAS BIG! Even if I don't have a picture of him. One day I bet I see him again somewhere, I will try to get a shot of him then. Luckily my trailer is not up there anymore, it is in my backyard, but we better be careful. You never know who is reading this.....Just a minute, I will go look for the photo of the footprint. I'll be back in a minute. HERE IT IS!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BIG FOOT.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	1,007.1 KB
ID:	94679  
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
chapin , South Carolina
wow......what a story, so glad you and those great looking labs all came out unharmed. beauty marks left by a bear........ priceless
oleschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Search and Rescue

I have some new photos, not the bear, but the dogs. I have been training them to be search and rescue dogs, all you need to do is find the right motivation. So far that turns out to be: a ball, stick, food, love, batteries, cigarettes (mine, not theirs) Here they are looking for a ball I stuck in the tree...

Carol
Old 01-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Allow me...guess what I found in the other picture thread.

Nice looking dogs Carol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Search%20and%20Rescue%20Dogs.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	937.3 KB
ID:	95160  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sweet babies! If we were close, I would give them a milk-bone.

Maggie
Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Egads What a story. You're very lucky.

I am now convinced that I will not go camping in the woods without a 10 foot perimeter of bear traps and claymores surrounding my trailer. And of course drink a case of beer and mark a 50 foot radius beyond that. GAHHHHH
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I had not been here in awhile, so I thought I would peek in. Last night I was a little nervous I might end up with a new bear story. SteSpot told me they were coming to Ojai on Thursday, but I did not get home from the gallery opening until after midnight. I went down to see if they got in OK. The gate at Camp Comfort was closed, so I parked outside and then had to hike about a football field length, after I managed to get one pant leg all wet, (gosh I wonder how I did that in the dark?) to get to where their trailer was. Everyone was asleep, so I left a little note for them, but on the way back I start thinking, "If there is a bear out here and he pokes his head out from one of these trees, I am going to f______ scream and then no one will ever invite me to another rally again. I think I began to pray at that point but I was unable to remember any particular one prayer so I just ran a lot of them together. I think either God has a sense of humor or maybe I just amuse him because no bear ever showed up and I made a quiet getaway.
Today however, when I finally decided to make a visit, my car broke down and I had to call my favorite mechanic to tell him about it. I was trying at the time to call a country station and request a song, but somehow 411 gave me the number of some Christian station. Maybe I should have requested a song from them. About six people drove by and yelled, "Your hazard lights aren't on!" so I thanked them and told him to check that too. Made it home, switched cars, moved the dogs over, back in the car, the country station still isn't answering, but I keep driving to the park. Now here is the funny part (I know you were waiting patiently for it) someone behind me has their bright lights on which I hate, so I pull over. Since neither the country station or the Christian station would really like to hear from me, I decide, "Hey, I know who lives right here, I wonder what he is doing?" I call him instead and tell him my story about my wacko renter who is not paying any rent that I am not real happy about at the moment. Then I ask him if he knows anywhere I could put my trailer for free for awhile so that numnuts can't burn it down. He says, "Sure honey, just bring it by tomorrow if you want. He remembered me because I used to buy eggs from him. What a nice guy. Just goes to show you, you may not get what you think you wanted, but at the right time, you get just want you really needed.
Even funnier, if that is possible, is that two days ago, the same car broke down, I was illegally parked at the Santa Barbara Historical Museum and while I am trying desparately to renew my AAA membership on the phone, a guy comes over to tell me I am parked in his spot. "Gosh I am real sorry, but my car is broken down, I can't even get the hood open to see what it wrong and I am hoping a tow truck shows up soon since I was supposed to be at a clinic getting a brain scan right now, which was the truth. He not only gets the hood open, but then I told him I was an artist and I also did photography. He wanted to take a look at my work so I open the back and show him. Turns out he is in charge of aquisitions for the museum and says they are having a show soon. He thought they would be great in their show which made me happy as s___. So even though I missed my brain scan appointment, the tow truck finally made it, the rent a car people picked me up along with all my c____ and the dogs, gave me a nice SUV to drive, made me go to DMV, since when I had surgery on my neck and then by accident went into a coma, I had no idea my license had expired, had to be dropped off there for a good hour, dogs and all (thank God they had their Search and Rescue jackets on) even though the lady inside DMV was not a happy camper at all about anything and then when they picked me back up finally, I found out a) they did not like my new temporary VISA card, b) no, they did not take personal checks, and c) there was no way they could accept $250 in cash for the deposit and we had to go to the worst section of town to get a money order! I came back to the car trotting pretty fast and told her, "You better hit the gas quick or I think we will most likely mugged in about two seconds which is the fastest I saw her move all day. At last I got my SUV, met my friend at a restaurant who had been trying to find me all day since they drove up from LA and I told them, "This is why I never get mad when things don't seem to work out. Now my photographs will be famous, a lot of people will buy them, my other one at the last gallery won an award and was sold before it even GOT to the gallery and I can finally keep my promise to the Tuareg people whom I photographed in Niger who hauled me across the desert for a thousand mile caravan three years ago and send them some money." It just seems to be the story of my life. Pretty funny, huh?

cclarkego
Old 02-06-2010, 05:24 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Life is an adventure, Carol, and sometimes a bit too much so! Glad you got it all worked out, and hope you sell lots of paintings.

Maggie
Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I had to read that a couple of times to get it all. Nothing goes slow in your life, except for the comma. Hope you are getting back on your feet. Congratulations on all the good things happening, you deserve it!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Carol, your stories are something. Did you ever get to the rally? You need an assistant to take care of these things so you can relax.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bears, defense