Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
gotair's painting dilemma got me thinking...

... and I started wondering where that water-theme Argosy (from eBay a coupla months back) is now... then "Trading Spaces" infiltrated the train of thought & now I'm curious: If you could paint someone ELSE's Argosy the scheme you dream of but would be too timid to do for your own, what would you do?

I'd want to do one for every mood: Tasteful wide stripes in celadon & Martha Green, then one in tangerine so it would stand out against the snow... and then maybe one like the canoe that my strait-laced dad let us paint one summer when he went to college on the GI Bill and got a little "hippie" in him. He spraypainted it in flat black & let us kids put anything we could think of on it in whatever color of paint we could mix. I'd give ANYTHING to have a black Argosy with my little brothers' suns & triangles & stick figures all over it in bright colors...
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

"One for every mood"

So that's why you need so many Airstreams.

( just kidding )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I would SO paint flames all running down the side of it - long orange licks

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Brought back memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I would SO paint flames all running down the side of it - long orange licks
Stefrobrts,
Your comment brought flashbacks of what a friend of mine used to say.
About 5 years ago, when I was at the North Pole, I used to take flaming "hot" showers..So much so,
that I earned a nickname.."Burning Vernon"..lol
Anyway, My buddy Jim, knew of my Airstream and, used to say that he was going to get his buddies in Texas to paint those old "Hot rod flames" down the side of my Airstream....lol,
I would never tell him where I kept it..

ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
WHY didn't it occur to me till now that...

... had I been snapping up Argosies, I could be tarting up the interiors & then inflicting my expression of self upon the outside-Argosy-viewing world, wherever it is....
Old 04-14-2004, 11:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
okaaaaay, no flames for me,.....checkered flags maybe with a big Earnhart #3 on the side!! My son still is goin with the GI Joe look. Probably not goin with that either.
gotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 AM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Yeah, you'd probably get it all camo'ed and then go camping in the woods and have passers by walking right into the side of it! Wouldn't that be cool...

Old 04-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
I'm a stick in the mud- I want mine polished so much that it's like a mirror- and of course someone fulltime to keep it that way!! silver suz. : ) Like that's ever going to happen!!!!
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Amen to that Silver Suz, that's the beauty of an Airstream to me...but they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A crew of bulging arm muscles would do the trick. Right now I would love to be at the point of polishing ... got a lot of elbow grease ahead in restoration. By the way Silver Suz your trailer is lookin good. Nice to have an inhouse crew huh?

Silverlassie
silverlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Well, I have no credit on the outside- that's how it came. But the boys ground off all the tar based glue on the inside, making it pretty shiny. The Real work begins when they get out of school. And I have been promised a shiny outside for my birthday present!! that's a super birthday present!!! Even if it happens a couple of years from now!- something to look forward to.!! My guys are the best! Silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
did you see the polished argosy that andy posted .... realy .... polished like an airstream ... didn't think it was supposed to be done... no rules I guess....
gotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Did someone say FLAMES???? I don't think I would recommend this but who am I to say. I think this was used for a clothing store.

http://www.airstream-caravans.com/jp...otter-246b.jpg
Old 04-15-2004, 10:49 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
gotair; Camo might be cool! Stephanie's comment made me smile (I got this mental image...). It also reminded me that I got a very nice camo jacket a couple of years ago, but now I can't find it: I know it's in the closet somewhere...I just can't find it! lol?

Katt; Now I think that flamed Airstream is pretty neat. Does this mean I'm a tasteless boer? (do not answer that, I don't want to know.) I could see that thing cruising down the highway behind my Chevy Nomad (ah-oh, another of those mental images.)

Good thread.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
MarkE...

... now I'm envisioning hot pink.... it's the new black, you know.

Or wouldn't somebody love an Argosy painted in a pointillist pattern, a traveling Rorshak (sp?) ...
Old 04-15-2004, 11:52 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Mark, I wouldn't presume to think you were tasteless. Maybe I'm just a purist.. On another note could you imagine annodizing the entire skin of your AS? Panel by panel...
Old 04-15-2004, 11:59 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
That flamed AS would look SO COOL behind a vintage tow vehicle, I'm thinking my Dad's black 57 chevy (why didn't he keep that one around for us kids?). I could go for that.

Speaking of multi-colored AS, we've all seen the pics of Wally's gold airstream. Is it painted gold, or some other process? Whatever it is it must hold up well, it sounds like the airstream company has left it sitting outside for years.

Old 04-16-2004, 12:17 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Hey, now I don't feel so bad about my reactions to the unusual!
I do believe Wally's gold Airstream was annodized (as Katt suggested) and that's why it has held up well over the years. Avion used to use annodized aluminum for their trailers and most of them can be cleaned-up to look pretty nice, still today. Over the years, I have wondered why Airstream doesn't go this route. It would give a bit different appearance to the trailer (while still keeping it recognizable as an Airstream), but the payoff would come years down the line when they still looked good without the failing clearcoat/plasticoat.
So, putting together several ideas expressed in this thread: I could certainly see a pink, annodized finish Airstream (with maybe a bit of tasteful pinstriping) behind th Nomad. OH YEAH!
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote