Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2006, 05:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Gaming madness

I was traveling in Chicago on business this past week and stopped by a Best Buy and at first glance, thought they were now selling camping equipment. As I walked into the store, I noticed a dozen different types of tents erected outside with people milling around in and outside of the tents. I later found out that these folks were camped out in line waiting for the new Sony PS3 play station to go on sale. I also have seen all the news flashes from around the country with the madness related to limited sales quantity:
  1. Shootings
  2. Deaths
  3. Robbery of $$ from folks in line
  4. Robbery of PS3's after they were purchased
  5. Tramplings related to door rushing
  6. eBay sales of the unit topping $2K
Last night, I visited my local Best Buy in Salem, NH and noticed a line outside, this time related to sales of a new Nintendo gaming unit.

Did anyone wait in one of these lines? Ummmm, I wonder if camping in an Airstream counts as a place in line? Please share your tales of this *gaming madness*.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Haven't seen any gaming madness, but then again I live miles from the nearest larger retail centers I do remember seeing some parents get in a shoving match over a Tickle Me Elmo a few years back...it just goes to show how low society is sinking

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'll wait and get one at a pawn shop a couple of months after Christmas, when the kid is tired of the machine and wants to finance another toy.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I'll wait and get one at a pawn shop a couple of months after Christmas, when the kid is tired of the machine and wants to finance another toy.
Ah, Terry. . . I don't think so. You will never find a PS3 in a pawn shop. This is the last game console that will ever be built. It's the final edition, the greatest machine that will ever exist; anything else that somes later will just be a cheap imitation.

In twenty years they will still be making new games to play on the PS3. There is nothing coming after. It is the zenith of all game consoles.

It is perfected.

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Yeah, right...keep telling yourself that.

Want some kool-aid?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I haven't even moved up to an Xbox 360 yet - still waiting to see if it 'takes'

Seriously, I do not understand the people who are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a console that has very few games available for it right now, and will be in wide release in a few months. At least the people waiting in line have an excuse, they knew they could turn around and resell it to the idiots who were willing to pay rediculously overinflated prices for it. But why there are people willing to do that is a puzzle to me.

I did almost buy a first gen Nintendo at a garage sale the other day for $10. Ah, the nostalgia of little Mario hopping on turtles and picking up coins almost got to me

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think Stef is correct about people cashing in on the supply and demand thing. Every Christmas season we see another "got to have it" item appear. Cabbage Patch kids, Tickle me Elmo and PS3. It is really a shame to see what the holiday season has turned into. The day after Thankgining has turned into a contact sport which I have no desire to become a part of. Besides, I am happy with my older video game....
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
PCs are better

I do a bit of programming...and the thing I don't get is why these machines exist at all. I mean, a PC has way more capability than these things. If you compare current state of the art PC's to these game machines, a PC will out process about any of these things, and you can also design your Airstream frame on it. No AutoCAD on PS3

Yeah, I wrote my own version of "Pong" to operate on my Commodore 64, back in '84.

I am asking for MicroSoft Flight Simulator X for Christmas. Have you seen the graphics on it? They're photographic real. Cool!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Favorite Game

Heck, my favorite game - and I am addicted (along with my wife) is Texas Hold "Em! Everytime we camp we spend hours playing with our fellow campers.

What other games do you all like to play?

Jerry

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
No shootings or robberies to report here. I did get a call from work, and had to come back down to deal with a rowdy "gentleman" who was quite upset that he wasn't allowed to cut in line - mom and son were in line, "holding" his place. I explained to him there was a limit of one per family, and there was no "holding" a place in line. He wanted to argue and raise a stink.
We had people lined up (outside in the cold!) for 36 hours for the PS3. The Nintendo Wii went smoother, more people waiting, but there were more units available.
I thought these people have got to be crazy to spend that much on a GAME, then I checked eBay and saw there were even crazier (read STUPID) people paying on average $1,400 for the PS3.
To put it in perspective, I recall that I have owned no less than 4 vehicles (all working) that I paid less for than the retail price of the PS3.
I finally bought my kids an Xbox last year (not a 360, just an Xbox) for $50 from a guy who had upgraded to 2 of the 360's when they came out.
Some people need to get a life! Now maybe if you skinned the game units in aluminum, I could justify the expense and understand the addiction!
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I started out buying all three of the major consoles for my boys so that their friends could bring over any game and they could play it here. XBox, PS1 and PS2, and Game Cube with the GameBoy converter. Now they are whining about the XBox 360 and PS3. Well, I told them that I will never buy another platform for them as these still work and we have games for them. Their Grandma could buy the stuff for them intead of me. Personally, I like Call of Duty on my PC. But really, I see that if allowed to play for extended periods, they become addicted, so I limit that and we do martial arts instead. We can hit for real!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
I think we have Nintendo 64 somewhere...or it might be the one before the 64...is it worth anything yet

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 11-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I think we have Nintendo 64 somewhere...or it might be the one before the 64...is it worth anything yet

Aaron
I don't know...is it installed in an Airstream? I'm not sure if it would make the Nintendo worth more, or the Airstream less.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc

Aaron
Everything has value, how much does it weigh?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Everything has value, how much does it weigh?
Less than a Univolt got enough cords on it to use as a fishing net...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 11-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I have an old Commodore 64 and Intellivision in my basement. I am only 29 though.
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Wii

We got up early (5 am) to wait for a Nintendo Wii at Best Buy, and got one. A man standing outside the store offered us $500 cash to buy ours. (The unit was $250 and we had $100 in Best Buy gift cards from a rewards program so it didn't hurt too much...). If we didn't get one on that visit, I was going to give my daughter a card with the picture of the system on it and get it for her after Christmas. And she would have been OK with that. I don't understand this need to have gifts under the tree at any cost. I think it sets a bad example.

I like the fact that the Wii has HD hookups and works with ALL of the old Nintendo games, via some virtual-console thing that I don't really understand, and I don't have any of the old ones anyway. But it goes back to NES games, I think those are the first ones? That is a good feature and all the game system companies should try to do that.

Still, nothing beats a good book and a sunset, preferably reflecting off the sides of an Airstream!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
my son reminds me that the important part of the new gaming consoles is that they have hd dvd players. beats having to buy your own hd dvd player. you just have to loan your kid the ferrari to get him out of the house.

mike
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote