Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #1

2021 16' Caravel
Villa Hills , KY
Future upgrades

Hi, I was just wondering if Airstream or any other manufacturer is "futureproofing" their products.

As better, more efficient tech is introduced will there be an easy way to incorporate it into existing trailers?
49cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ok opinion hat only on, no first hand experience.

I would pass on any new complicated system for heating, hot water, entertainment, light management or even an awning.

Based solely on what I own 2007 vintage systems vs topics and issues documented here on newer sophisticated systems.

Only an opinion.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
Korry Classic

2007 27' Classic FB
La Pine , Oregon
Gary, I must agree with you, I have found simple stupid is the only way to go. We have a 2007 Airstream Classic 27fb, I perform all of my own maintenance.
KorryClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Future upgrades

The only fancy electronic stuff I have in our 2007 is the ham radio, the broadcast radio/CD player, and the Television. There is internet WiFi I’m planning to install, and a cell phone booster. However, If that stuff fails, it’s no big deal.

The rest of the critical, safety and comfort electrical stuff is controlled by either switches, AC or DC motors, relays, or the like, and can easily be bypassed if need be.

And yes, I do most of my own maintenance and modifications.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I'd say for one that the future is hard to predict, so it's really hard to build something that can be upgraded for some future tech that doesn't exist today. Secondly Airstream trailers don't have a lot of electronics that can be updated like you update maps in a GPS unit or the OS on your computer or phone.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
As tech junkie...

Nothing ages faster than tech. Today's tech is tomorrows trash. If you look at any modern car, the thing that dates and ages it the fastest, also the item most likely to fail, is electronic technology. Integration and technology is great until its not.

For the timeless Airstream, I'm with other that I much prefer it be simple. Standalone, easy to troubleshoot and fix on the road, because things will go wrong. I also intend to keep is much much longer than most technology cares to stay around (stay in place?) for.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #7
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Sure, tech ages, and bleeding-edge tech can be unreliable, but there are things you can do to proactively "futureproof" when building any living or working space, like building in wirings ducts, so that cabling can be easily replaced as tech changes, and using removable fasteners wherever practical instead of nails or glue, so that things can be disassembled and reassembled cleanly. It just requires some forethought and a little bit of extra expense.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Future upgrades

Yup, just consider this: It wasn’t all that long ago that S-100 bus based computers, 8” floppy discs, Soroc UQ-120 glass teletype terminals, and the CP/M operating system was totally state-of-the-art.

The Department of Overkill Engineering has moved on past all that stuff long ago. Now it’s smart phones, Arduino and accessories, and one heck of a lot of stuff that’s darn near obsolete the day it’s shipped to you from the supplier.

Funny thing, they still sell lots of switches and relays. There’s a shiny new one in this picture at lower right that controls power to my dining table pedestal that I just installed…it cuts power unless you really need to raise or lower the table. It’s a simple safety feature that requires a key switch to operate the table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	394449
Old 05-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
"Future proofing" typically means "unlikely to become obsolete" or "guaranteed not to be superseded by future versions" in the English language so...

Yes, Airstream strived diligently to avoid leading edge technology until just recently by installing the lowest common denominator appliances like propane fueled absorption refrigerators and lead acid batteries for decades rather than Danfoss compressors and lithium batteries.

Management has work tirelessly to ensure whatever "new technology" they install is outdated within the first year of introduction as exemplified by their choice of JL's Bluetooth 2.0 enabled entertainment systems. It was just a few years ago that USB-A ports managed to be installed on the assembly line leaving all other computer/chip based additions (other than a LED TV) to owner initiated upgrades. Even LED light bulbs were delayed 15 years until COB LEDs had matured yet were not selected.

Simple is better in a unit that becomes a family heirloom.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Ok opinion hat only on, no first hand experience.

I would pass on any new complicated system for heating, hot water, entertainment, light management or even an awning.

Based solely on what I own 2007 vintage systems vs topics and issues documented here on newer sophisticated systems.

Only an opinion.

Gary
10-4 on that!!!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
I always try to remind myself that "more advanced tech" is relative. I'm sure there were plenty of guys with their Ice Boxes that wanted nothing to do with a new fangled propane evaporation refrigerator, or pex plumbing, LED lights, on demand water heaters and so on.

In the case of Airstreams and other TTs, what future tech are you thinking they need to future proof for? Not sure? Then nether are they. How does one prepare for what one doesn't know?

Fortunately, most "high tech" type stuff is like WIFI, and entertainment systems can be updated somewhat easily. And if the plumbing system is "old tech" but still works, than there's nothing to worry about.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Biggest thing is understanding the necessary trade-offs between use of wiz-bang bleeding edge technology and the minimal low tech necessary for comfort and safety.

That’s why I’m staying with switches and relays for lights, heating, and air conditioning and not using Alde or the other fancy control systems.

Some of the stuff I’m working on that involves automation also has easy manual over-ride setups as the first level of main control. Idea is to use automation as a supplement, not as the only control system.