Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Foldup Bikes

I'm looking for a source for decent/outstanding quality, foldup bikes... likely a mountain bike for me, and something for my wife which allows her to bike in a more upright posture (easier on the back).

Any ideas or sources for such beasts? As well a floor rack for easier travel inside our 19ft Bambi would be great.

Tnx!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
I'm looking for a source for decent/outstanding quality, foldup bikes... likely a mountain bike for me, and something for my wife which allows her to bike in a more upright posture (easier on the back).

Any ideas or sources for such beasts? As well a floor rack for easier travel inside our 19ft Bambi would be great.

Tnx!
How about these: Folding Bicycles and Folding Bike Accessories by Montague

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
A good source of bicycle info is Bicycling Magazine: Bikes, Gear, Training, Reviews, Maintenance.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Yeah

I just returned a YEAH model fold-up to Camping World. It's a fine bike...it was me that was 'defective'. The bike folded up into a nice easily carried and store package. Very sturdy with 6 gears. The wheels are 20" in diameter, just fine for pedaling around a campground after your grand kids. My doctor advised me not to ride a bike until my 2 new hips fully healed in a year or two. However he suggested a bike that I could easily stand down (both feet on the ground) with to minimize falling. My problem was that my knees aren't so good either. Our 36 year old daughter rode the bike with her son on his in a campground recently and said it is a "nice bike". When it was folded I transported it on the back seat of our convertible. It took up one passenger space. I will try again next year.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
Folding Bikes

There is nothing like a Bike Friday. They are very pricy but the componants and performance is second to none.
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Agreed on Bike Friday.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I have the Montague MX MX 24 - Speed Mountain Bike. I add a seat post with a shock, gel seat and better pedals. I do mostly trail and street riding, no real mountain riding. My son is a big time mtn biker and had some good comments on the bike. When the tires wear out I'll replace them with a less aggressive set. You can always up grade the hardware.
I had a folding Dahon for over 12 years ago. I did a lot of street riding in hilly areas in the NE. No MT riding. I even keep up with a guy with a standard size bike while stationed at Ft Devens, MA. I gave the bike to my son after I changed the tires to a more aggrassive tread so he can use in campgrounds. This was during my family's VW camper came. Never had any problems with the bike.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
I commute occasionally on a Dahon. About half the miles I have on it are either in the dark, in the rain, or in snow. I don't quite have a thousand miles on it (bought it last July).
Longest ride on it has been 65 miles a couple days after I picked it up. It seems fairly happy at 13-15 MPH, but I've seen 25 on the way home (sort of trying to drop the guy I was riding with - business casual mayhem on the bike path if you like).

It is a useful tool. Have probably folded/unfolded it a couple hundred times and it seems to be sticking together OK.

We had around 4" of snow this day. The bike has a planetary gear hub - no derailleur so riding through the snow, while work, wasn't all that bad. That said, I did drive to work the next day, one of two days I didn't ride to work in the first six months of 2007.

Later on we had ice & snow, and 5 below:
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The Lapierre Passport sounds the best to me.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
We purchased a pair of Dahon 7-speed folding bikes earlier this year for camping and have really enjoyed them. The advantages to the folding bike is that the bikes can be stored in the back of my TV so they no longer need to take a beating during travel (i.e., which they would if they were stored on the roof or back of the vehicle). The bike can be folded or opened up in less than 20 seconds.

I have used the bike for longer rides (i.e., 15-20 miles) and the bike was fine except I needed to purchase a different seat for longterm comfort. The wheels are smaller than a normal road bike so I find myself pedaling more but that is ok as I just get more exercise that way!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Hi Dave,

I have nothing to add regarding the bikes, but as to the floor rack for the Bambi I would fabricate one with a 2X4 and something like this (front fork mount):

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Lots of great responses!

Just love the Bike Friday, not sure if Kate will love the price tag though

Dahon seems to have some suitable solutions, and some are in the 25lb range which is great.

Thanks for everyones input!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Dave,

A few years back my wife bought a couple of Dahon Speed 7 folding bikes. They were about $500.00 per bike, and we replaced the seats with the gel type seats. Much more comfortable than the stock seat the bike comes with.

We love the fact that we can bring these along with us and they easily set up and tear down. My only complaint about the Dahon bikes is the quality and workmanship.

It seemed that for the first several trips out, I would always find parts of the bikes that had come off the bike. A screw here, some sort of plug there. I keep them next to a container of parts that I have for bits and pieces that have come from the Aisrstream. The magnets that keep the bike folded were crap, so we use bungee cords to keep them folded.

Dahon has many models of the folding bikes. I agree with what was said about Bike Friday. They are really nice but be prepared for sticker shock.

Do a search for folding bikes on the internet.

Before riding, it is always a good idea to go from front to back aand make sure that anything quick release is tightened.

Good luck.

Jonathan
Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #14
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
I lied. I do have something to add about bikes.

If your knees and the rest of your body don't need the low gearing choices that a derailleur bike has, go with an internal hub shifting system. These are like the old timey Sturmey-Archer 3 speeds but today they even come in 7 speed and maybe higher. They are much less prone to problems, maintenance free and will be less likely to put grease stains on your Bambi interior and your clothing as you load and unload.

Of course, if you plan to use these in hilly areas and your not in top notch condition to muscle through the tougher gearing then a derailleur bike may be your only choice.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot
Hi Dave,

I have nothing to add regarding the bikes, but as to the floor rack for the Bambi I would fabricate one with a 2X4 and something like this (front fork mount):

Scott
That's exactly what I did and it works great.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
It seemed that for the first several trips out, I would always find parts of the bikes that had come off the bike. A screw here, some sort of plug there. I keep them next to a container of parts that I have for bits and pieces that have come from the Aisrstream. The magnets that keep the bike folded were crap, so we use bungee cords to keep them folded.

Before riding, it is always a good idea to go from front to back aand make sure that anything quick release is tightened.

Good luck.

Jonathan
That's good advice for any bike - go over it pretty thoroughly before riding it.
I have not had any trouble with the magnets through somewhere between 150 and 225 foldings, prolonged time in a trunk, the truck, or riding / folding over a temperature range of about 100 degrees F (from around zero to nearly 100, as always, YMMV). I ordered mine through my friendly bicycle dealer, and together we checked the cones, the bottom bracket, spoke tension, all the little stuff that bike shops do with bikes. Mail order is a risk.

The Dahon, Swift, Brompton, and the like are folding bikes, whereas most of the Bike Fridays are bikes which can be folded. The difference is either in size, time, or both.

Should I get enough miles on the Dahon that I decide to change, my first choice will be the Brompton: Brompton Bikes :

With many small-wheeled bikes, it's so easy to hear what can't be done with them, that we ignore what can. In the case of the Brommie, one was used last month to complete Paris - Brest - Paris. This year it was a rainy, windy, chilly, 750 mile ride with a 90 hour time limit.

What can be done with a bike is more a matter of desire and preparation than equipment.

I understand someone started Paris-Brest-Paris on a Dahon, and of course Bike Fridays have been used several times.

One of the few blogs I read semi-regularly is this one:
Kent's Bike Blog: Dahon Curve D3

He commutes around 12 miles each way in Seattle, and has bought a Dahon D3. It will be interesting to hear his take on it.

I'm also kind of a fan of hub gears, and in our garage may be found a couple of classic Sturmey AW's (1962, 1964, 1974, 1972, 1971), but also an S5 (2004), an AG (1954), an SW (1957), a couple TCW's (1962) and a Nexus 4 speed (2001?). A couple of these are even on bikes :-) The AW's are good stuff.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #17
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
One last rantlet...
I splurged and bought a Brooks B-67 (http://www.wallbike.com/B67.html).
It has required a little adjustment, but after about 300 miles on it I am little short of astonished.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Right up my alley! I've got a BF TRIPLE for the family (me and my two kids on a LONG bike... think tandem with an extra seat... we look like the circus has come to town!) I've been looking at the Dahons as a cheap folding solution. I think I'll have to go ride one and ask Santa for one too!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Huntington Beach , California
Send a message via AIM to Deadhead58 Send a message via MSN to Deadhead58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot
Hi Dave,

Scott
Moonshot: where did you mount this rack? I have a 16' Bambi and can't figure out where I can put my bike, bike rack without it being a big big hassle!
Deadhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
We got ours from Folding Bikes, Award winning Folding Bike Suspension Designs for travel

Very good value for the money. They attracted a lot of attention each time we were out on them, to the point were we were considering making up a fact sheet to hand out.

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote