Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Folding Bikes

Hey all. Just took a trip to Camping World. After reading many of the discussions on mounting bikes to AS, and stowing bikes we decided to look at the folders. We liked the Dahon folding Bikes. Camping World sells the basic models, a 7 speed....kinda what we were looking for, Basic. The suprise for us was that CW also sells another folder under the name Yeah. .........real decent....we bought them them on sale two for 300.00 bucks. These bikes are VERY close to the 7 speed Dahon. Yeahs are 6 gear, with some other minor differences........guess what....they are made by Dahon who holds many of the good patents for folding Bikes. Don't be afraid to look at this folder, they are on CW website. I was very happy with the side by side comparison with the 7 gear Dahon. We rode both the Dahon and Yeah , both Nice and compact and decently built.
I am one who will always spend extra for quality but I just couldn't see major differences. The 7 gear Dahon was twice the money of the 6 gear Yeah. We got the Yeahs. Later Jim
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
St. Pete Beach , Florida
Several weeks back Camping World had a special on those YEAH bikes...you got a $75.00 CW coupon with the purchase of each bike. With the purchase of 2 bikes, our third was paid for...and we used the excess (coupon $ from the 3rd) for a 4th. We have taken them on a couple of trips already and really like 'em. We fold 'em up and put 'em in the back of the pickup. Everywhere we go, people love our bikes. Much easier for us to carry than our full size bikes. Good purchase, those bikes!

Everything fits now. We've got the Kayaks on the roof, the bikes in the bed, and the airstream behind. Friday we're headed to the Loxahatchee river and then next week to the Keys. Can't wait.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Thanks to both of you for the information. We are going to check into those bikes. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Another option is Bike Friday. A little pricey, but really well made. Worth a look/see.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Do yourself a favor, and if you get a Dahon, order it through a bike shop. They aren't bad bikes, but CBC (China Bike Corp) who makes them for Dahon tends to overtighten things a little. Camping world won't likely look at them before sending them to you.
I helped put one together, and have about 1k miles on it. It's a good enough bike, but as shipped, the hub cones were too tight, the bottom bracket was too tight, and the wheels weren't particularly true. These are unpleasant surprises, and after a couple seasons of very light use could result in wheels locking up, that sort of thing.

Bromptons, Birdies, and Bike Fridays all have devoted followings, but all cost more than the Dahon.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
We priced the 7 speed D at a couple Bike shops. They wanted about 450.00. We figured how bad could these CW Yeahs be since I could buy 3 yeahs for the price of one Bike Shop Professionally assembled Dahon.......heck I'll take a chance since I can replace it 3 times and still be even.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I have both a Dahon speed 7 and a Bike Friday. The BF is a quality piece, but I still smile when on the Dahon. Performancebike.com has the d7 for around 300.00... the difference between the Yeah and the Dahon is a bit of weight and components, but yes, about the same.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Love our Dahons - Espresso (in silver) and a Jack (in flat black). Full 26" wheels, but the fold down nicely. Haven't taken them Airstreaming yet.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
The 7 speed Dahon is on sale for 239.00 at Camping World right now.
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Yes, The Dahons 7 speeds are 300.00. The Yeahs at CW are 169 or 2 for 300.00.....
Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Woops, sorry MillValley... I see the internet price at 239.00. At the store in NJ yesterday, they were 299.00 on the floor. But the Yeahs were priced 2 for 300.00. Interstingly, CW seems to mix up the pricing a bit store vs internet.

Jim
Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Where the good stuff is: Bike Forums - Folding Bikes

While I appreciate pinching pennies as much as the next guy (until I added lights & fenders to my commuter bike, I had about $30 in it - half a tank of gas) I've seen other threads like "Brand XYZ is junk. I ordered it through the mail because it was really cheap, and I didn't adjust it or anything, but it fell apart."

Considering that a bike makes excellent basic transportation, a useful way to look at it is return on investment. A thousand dollar bike that you use to replace a car for short trips around the campground, to the store, or around town can pay for itself in a surprisingly short time.

A $300 bike or even a $150 (new) bike that gets used only as a toy will never ever pay for itself. And that can be ok, but it's best not to set expectations very high - it's something that one "has" rather than something one intends to "use."

Now old bikes - like old Airstreams - are an entirely different matter.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
as hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
Where the good stuff is: Bike Forums - Folding Bikes
The Bike Forum (linked above) is an excellent community - Now, not as good as THIS forum (no community is as good as here!!). I found the Bike Forum has good info and links - which will save you time, answer your questions, etc.

I ended up buying a Dahon (Pro, 21 speed). Did a lot of research before buying (lots of product out there). It has turn out to be a great bike and I am most pleased that I got a 'folder'.

peter
pdq1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
_

. , .
read about folders, where they really get used, here...

The Folding Society with links to 'choosing, all the significant brands/models and TEST ride info...

or some of the other bike threads linked inside THIS thread...

in our soon 2b subforum on spokes!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/pedal-40092.html

sorry, but IF you really plan to pedal the bikes often, want the gearing to reliably work...

and the brakes to REALLY function...

and IF you weigh more than 10 stones...

the camping world d' is NOT a good choice... the components are the main issue and are lacking.

the d' priced at 500$ and up are just so MUCH stronger, smoother, better equipped for USE, and so on...

IF you really plan to ride one.

but they all look nifty folded as origami...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Our position on these cheaper Yeah Folders is first to see how much we are really gonna use them. If we get into lots of use...we would probably move up and spend more bucks for higher end bikes. We traveled in an older SOB for 4 years prior to the AS purchase just to see, found we liked it then spent for what we wanted. I'm looking at the Yeahs the same way....If I get 3 years out of them it cost me 50 bucks a year to own. I'll know at some point if I wanna spend more. My down side is minimal to find out . Never had time to ride a Bike before, in my adult life anyway. I think I wanna.
If I Knew I was really really gonna be into Biking I'd be the first on to shell out the cabbage. I'm just not sure yet and I tend to go cheap when I don't know. Just my idea and certainly the Yeahs are not going to be the correct choice for some or even many of the folks here. I think they might be for me.... But if they break down on my way to the grocery store the first time out or something I'll let you guys know I shudda got a better bike! Jim
Old 03-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #16
_

. , .
hi jim

that's a reasonable approach,

with these caveats...

a good seat is critical to enjoying a bike ride, usually these bikes don't have great saddles so riding hurts...

good brakes are very important, usually these bikes has IFFY brakes (and hand levers), which again doesn't encourage riding.

simple/reliable shifting makes riding more fun. there is nothing more annoying that having the chain pop off going up hill...

or having the gears 'jam' in some way, or need to 'adjust brakes and cables for every ride.

lots of bikes don't get ridden because they have FLAT tires or need a few quick pumps of air...

i'm not suggesting you don't buy and try, and the monetary risk is small...

but another approach is to find a good USED bike, which is moderately priced but better built and equipped.

hey ANY bike that is used is better than the finest bike collecting dust!

oh and GET A REALLY WELL FITTING HELMET!

you cannot upgrade your noggin later...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
yes,already eyeing one of them comfey seats
Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #18
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2
yes,already eyeing one of them comfey seats
I splurged and put a Brooks B67 on the Dahon, and the difference is HUGE.

But that may be too old-tech and too springy for a serious cyclist, in which case, may I recommend the Real Man saddle?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #19
_

. , .
yeah i'm a brooks snob too...

a champion flyer on my cruiser bike, 5 b17s (titanium rails) and a couple of swifts (ti rails)...

a brooks saddle will outlast most bikes and fits yer butt like a glove!

the sheldon brown website stuff is ALL fantasitc.

best bike website on the planet.

he single handedly created a bike resource more complete than any other and used more than this a/s site...

sadly sheldon died a few weeks ago after dealing with MS the last 2 years or so...

he was a true renaissance man and is missed.

cheers
2air'

Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #20

brooklyn , New York
downtube bikes

hi everyone,
i'm thinking about getting a bike from Downtube does anyone own one here? Can anyone suggest which would be best from for me? Downtube - Bikes I'm 5'2 and petite so i want something easy to handle. thanks for your help!!
Lola25 is offline   Reply With Quote