Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #81
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Slowmover, much of what you say is only opinion, regardless of what the Canadian dealer says. Repeating the same Opinions about tow vehicles enough times and many then accept them as facts, and the dealer in Canada gets rich. Just my opinion. Jim
Soon as you've towed the same large TT with car and truck let us know. My "opinion" includes both. Simple physics is easily verified independently of what anyone may say. Same as with accident/injury statistics for pickups versus cars. The "point of no return" is reached sooner with a pickup, and the consequences more serious.

Does the depth of your experience reach back more than 40-years as does mine? CAN AM only does what everyone did in the 1960's through the 1980's. There is no magic involved, but experience in terms of details of the "how to" in making a given TV its best may as well be conjuring for any one of us as we haven't sent 10k TT's down the road.

There is a range of possible TV's. If one want to be suspicious of money-making, look no farther than the OEM's trying to put everyone in a high profit pickup truck. Instead, we're better off in looking at the trade-offs in any TV.

The OP will buy what is thought best. It is the definition of "best" that needs refinement . . for once beyond payload capacity a pickup-based vehicle falls on its face in any category considered be it roadholding, economy, braking, etc. Solo miles may be 4X as many as towing . . should one run a higher risk in the main job of the vehicle? Would we advocate driving without seat belts? Statistics argue against that as surely as they point up the deficiencies of some vehicle types. Etc.

Caveat emptor, indeed.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I stand by my opinion, only remember the trucks of today are much dif than the antiques you are referring to. Much of the instability of a truck is gone when a load is added. That is how a truck is designed. Conversely, much of the handling of other vehicles is compromised when a load is added. That is proven by all the mods which need to be done just to make them marginally safe to to tow with. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, and some people believe that a Hensley type hitch will solve all problems. If you make the same driving mistakes you did with any other hitch, you can still lose it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Truer words were never spoken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, and some people believe that a Hensley type hitch will solve all problems. If you make the same driving mistakes you did with any other hitch, you can still lose it.
OTOH - the "mother truck" gave her life to save mine. Humans DO make mistakes... and sometimes make the same mistake over and over (Mickey Rooney married 7 times?). I'm going to try on "humble" and take a senior driving refresher - and do the one thing I know could have helped... SLOW DOWN all the time no excuses. I'll also continue to rely on the forums for that frequent well meant "reality check" it provides, and most of all I'll post on my dash the picture of me weeping against the door of poor old Foiled in the junkyard. About six months ago I dropped the right hand tires off the pavement and into a barely existing soft earth berm and recovered instantly and completely. It was a non-event ....BECAUSE IT WAS A 2 LANE BACK ROAD and I WAS DRIVING 35MPH - THE SPEED LIMIT. I was under the speed limit of 70 MPH when I lost it... but if I'd been going 55 ...
The real truth is I won't get a re-run, so I'll never know for absolute sure. BUT, a super hitch and a lower speed and perhaps that memory of the wreck that makes me focus a tad better... Let's hope a year from now I report - "not even a close one this time!"
Paula
Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #85
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Paula, thanks so much for keeping all of us informed as you've gone through this awful experience. Know that you have provided a true service by sharing lessons learned with a large community. I (for one) am grateful! Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
And the FIRST TRIP to Colonial Air & Back!

OK, I have the truck the tags, the registration and I've driven it for the last three days without (a) throwing up (b) soiling the upholstery due to nerves (c) or chickening out of backing into a parking space.

The next available appointment for the standard run through at Colonial is Friday July 5. Boy, do I have GREAT timing! Driving a new to me Airstream home in a brand spanking new truck on July 4th weekend. D'oh!

So do I just sleep in the office for another week, or find a way to do this? I'm in the "find a way" column. I will leave for NJ on the 4th of July - figuring that most people will hit the road on Wednesday starting at about noon. (I run Answer Center and I know that 75% of our customers bug out by noon the day before the holiday.) I'm going up the Eastern Shore on Route 13 - Ah, the smell of the chicken processing plants! Lauren & Patrick Botticelli will hide a key for me for "Eddie boy" (gotta get a better name than that) and I'll spend the night at Colonial. Bright and early Friday I'll have my run-through - where I really DO need to learn about the inverter and solar and any other new stuff I've never dealt with before like the convection microwave.

Sometime after noon on Friday July 5 I'll start for home - figuring it's the least busy day of the 4 day holiday weekend. I haven't had a panic attack or anything like nerves with the new truck - and all of the controls are basically in the same place as they were with the Chevy ... so I'm not borrowing trouble, but I'm also not planning on going all the way home in one day. I'll stop somewhere between Salisbury MD and Virginia's Eastern Shore Hospital and spend the night. Sunday Morning I'll tackle the Bay Bridge Tunnel and Beautiful downtown Virginia Beach to arrive at my home campground.
Actually the tunnel gives me the willies because I destroyed my drivers side mirror on the last trip through it (maintenance in the tunnel which is narrow at best - dodging orange cones on the left, kissed the "trolley rail" on the right with just the mirror. Hopefully doing this at about 7 AM Sunday after making a "face plant" in the mattress by 9 PM Saturday should be an easy trip.

Sunday by 11 am, I shall crack the back hatch, pull down the screen and offer Mimosas (champagne and orange juice) and tours to my friends who reportedly will be waiting with baited breath to make sure I make it to Indian Cove.

Thanks to all y'all for helping me pick the tow vehicle. I'm liking it more every day, and with the shorter bed the thing turns in only 3 lanes not 4 like the old mother truck.

Paula

PS: I will eventually share pictures of the event of June 10. Just not ready yet. You will all smile sadly when I tell you how many of my non-Airstreaming friends think that Foiled Again could have been fixed! Even those optimistic people start to drop out as more and more pictures reveal the inside damage. Only one exterior shot really shows that the whole thing turned into a "Trapezoidal Airstream" ....but the door and the awning still worked perfectly! The towing guy says they normally use a dumpster to pick up the remains of a wrecked RV.... So much for SOB's.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Paula, Paula.....take it slowly and take care of yourself. You've been through a traumatic event.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
one night over

Paula, you have probably thought about this but I am going to mention it. What about spending one night in Colonial's parking lot so that you have time to check out the systems and all of the "new" bells and whistles. That would really give you confidence for you trip home. And if you find any areas that need attention you can have them cared for before you are out of there. Just a thought!
Glad to hear that you are back in an Airstream with a new TV. Good luck with your new digs!
Lou and Larry-cheering you on!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
Paula, you have probably thought about this but I am going to mention it. What about spending one night in Colonial's parking lot so that you have time to check out the systems and all of the "new" bells and whistles. That would really give you confidence for you trip home. And if you find any areas that need attention you can have them cared for before you are out of there. Just a thought!
Glad to hear that you are back in an Airstream with a new TV. Good luck with your new digs!
Lou and Larry-cheering you on!
You mean getting there on the 4th staying in the trailer for the night and getting the walk through on the 5th like stated or did you mean a second night after the walk through?

Sorry, I'm getting tired.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Congrats on the new truck, and looking forward to seeing pics of it hitched to the new Ed B. Will be an awesome combo.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
You mean getting there on the 4th staying in the trailer for the night and getting the walk through on the 5th like stated or did you mean a second night after the walk through?

Yes, getting there on the 4th, walking thru on the 5th and departing (God willing and nothing bad comes out in the inspection. Of course if there is a problem I'll stay until it's fixed.

Paula
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I was thinking one more night there in the parking lot on your own to sleep through and see if there are any things that bug out at you, Paula. But it depends on whether there will be anyone there to "fix" it the next day if you find a problem.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Hey Paula, you're alive. That's what counts. You won't need a picture. When I took my Harley off road 20 some years ago by grabbing too much front brake in a corner with some gravel on the pavement it imprinted the cause and effect in my brain so that when the same situation starts to develop, the hairs on my neck rise and I slow down well before an incident can occur. (I broke a fibula and collar bone on the same side so I was out of commission for quite a while). We are both lucky that we experienced the failure and lived through it to learn. Glad you put your rig together again so quicky and "got back on the horse" right away. It's the way to do it. Also glad that you are willing to share so much of your incident so the rest of us can learn from your experience.

Best,

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
I was thinking one more night there in the parking lot on your own to sleep through and see if there are any things that bug out at you, Paula. But it depends on whether there will be anyone there to "fix" it the next day if you find a problem.
Hey Larry & Lou - I'm getting there on July 4.... now do you really think I won't be giving Eddie Boy a close personal inspection well before the dealership opens Friday. Even packed up the moisture meter.

Paula
Old 06-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Paula; I don't consider myself as a fast driver while towing, but I lowered my speed to 60 MPH or less and up to 65 MPH to pass. That's about ten each less than what I was doing. [max] I think the most common mistake is, while towing, going too fast down hill, on a curve. My down hills are very controlled. Usually in second gear [4 speed auto] and not needing to ride the brakes. Passed a big rig today with all of it's brakes smoking; Hope he didn't have to use the runaway ramp, or something worse. A big rig driver should know how to gear down. I don't think he did. Have a great time with your new set-up.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Sometime after noon on Friday July 5 I'll start for home - figuring it's the least busy day of the 4 day holiday weekend. I haven't had a panic attack or anything like nerves with the new truck - and all of the controls are basically in the same place as they were with the Chevy ... so I'm not borrowing trouble, but I'm also not planning on going all the way home in one day. I'll stop somewhere between Salisbury MD and Virginia's Eastern Shore Hospital and spend the night. Sunday Morning I'll tackle the Bay Bridge Tunnel and Beautiful downtown Virginia Beach to arrive at my home campground.
Actually the tunnel gives me the willies because I destroyed my drivers side mirror on the last trip through it (maintenance in the tunnel which is narrow at best - dodging orange cones on the left, kissed the "trolley rail" on the right with just the mirror. Hopefully doing this at about 7 AM Sunday after making a "face plant" in the mattress by 9 PM Saturday should be an easy trip.

Sunday by 11 am, I shall crack the back hatch, pull down the screen and offer Mimosas (champagne and orange juice) and tours to my friends who reportedly will be waiting with baited breath to make sure I make it to Indian Cove.
Sunday morning is a great time to take the BBT. i'm pretty sure you know about the rest area on the left as you approach the southbound toll plaza. i think you can stay there 48 hours if you want.

fyi to you and others:
the CBBT does offer to drive you across if you desire. http://www.cbbt.com/faq.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Cape May Ferry

I considered taking the ferry even at the Big Bucks cost - as a very reasonable alternative to I-295.....

Went to their web page and could find NO information about trailers. I know I've seen trailers on the ferry in the past. Wazzup? Anyone know if they can be boarded?

Paula
Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
I considered taking the ferry even at the Big Bucks cost - as a very reasonable alternative to I-295.....

Went to their web page and could find NO information about trailers. I know I've seen trailers on the ferry in the past. Wazzup? Anyone know if they can be boarded?

Paula
Are you talking about the Cape May-Lewes De Ferry? We rode that across on our way to Colonial during our trip home last March....

Bruce

btw. nice truck!
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #99
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Foiled
You have experienced what so many of us fear and were willing to share that experience with us so we can learn. Thanks for being so open and willing to share. We are all greatful.
It is inspiring to see how strong and self reliant you are not to mention how much power you are gaining by getting back on the road so quickly. I can't wait to read about your continued adventures. We are so thankful that you are safe.
Blessings to you.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:

Paula
LOL, i knew it was there but since they put up the summer rates it doesn't show them. here they are:capemaylewesferry > Schedules and Fares > Fares

the ferry fill up during the summer and they limit the large vehicles. if you use the ferry, go real early and have lunch while you wait. in speaking with the staff, they tell me to reserve the trip if possible. you can overnight in their lot too. i think you're supposed to notify them.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote