Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I believe that one of the reasons for the "crack down" has to do with illegals. At least it appears that way in OR
Old 02-17-2010, 04:16 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
To get a passport a birth certificate or your certificate of Citizenship is needed.
Not only was it needed, we were required to send our original naturalization certificates to the passport office to get our passport cards. However, these are valid for ten years and prove that we are US citizens.

The Feds have been trying to require Canadians and US nationals to show passports to cross into each others countries for years but the politicials from the border states kept resisting it because they said it would interfere with cross-border commerce. However effective last June 1st passports or other "approved ID" are required.

One of the forms of "approved ID" is the "enhanced" drivers licence. It is issued by several states and Canadian provinces. It requires a trip to the DMV, plenty of substantiating ID and an interview.

I was surprised to learn that a certificate of naturalization is not a form of "approved ID". It is because it is not machine-readable. All "approved ID" must be such in order for the border guard to be able to bring up your information before you are "examined" for entry.

It is a sad state of affairs and very inconvenient at times but you can thank the 911 terrorists. Remember they were all legally admitted aliens (although a few overstayed their visas). Once aliens are in the US it's very hard to track them to see if they are still here after their visa expires.

The problem with illegals is that we don't know who they are and why they are here. It is being argued that "undocumented workers" are necessary for the economy but they are still here illegally without the normal border entry inspection that all who enter this country legally must endure.

Like it or not we are headed to a "national" identity card. It's just a matter of time.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1966 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
From Parts Unknown , Unknown
South Dakota works for us-

We just started full timing last October 1st, leaving in our wake the utter ridiculousness that was Northern Virginia. It was a schlep, but a beautiful trip (and we are travelers after all), and went to South Dakota. The mailing service there is wonderful and is a business that helps full time RVers have a legal residence, besides just a mailing service. In less than a couple of hours, they guided us through becoming new legal residents, had new driver's licenses, plates, hell even voter's registration cards and set up for absentee ballots. The mailing service even handles plate renewals, and vehicles title transfers for a very reasonable fee. Oh, and NO vehicle inspection, property tax on vehicles, nor state income tax. ALL we pay is fed income tax.

My girl friend, The Most Dangerous Beauty Alive™, was simply astonished at how FRIENDLY, competent, quick and efficient we midwesterners can be (I'm originally from Indiana). Why, they even spoke English to us! "This place makes sense!" says she.

The mailing service out of Chamberlain SD is working for us great. BUT you gotta go there. Why not? Its gorgeous-- but wait til it thaws, if you can.

PM me if you need more info-
1956 Spartan Imperial Mansion
TCT Since 2002, 8728,
Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Terry is this some thing new? My understanding is that the CDL program is maintained as a Federal data base meeting Federal rather then State requirements. I transfered my CDL to Washington and the only issue was my Haz Mat endorsement. Again the requirement for Haz Mat retesting is a Federal requirement. I'm curious if this is something new or if you just ran into a guy having a bad day.

By the way when I moved to Washington my motorcycle endorsement was not transferable and I had to go through the retesting process. That was a State decision and it has since changed to accept existing motorcycle endorsements.

Cheers, Dan
I think it is something new, to go along with operator's licenses. I'll find out more the next time we move to another state. I'm not exactly sure why they wanted a criminal background check (maybe I look like a shady character), because every place I've worked that required a CDL did their own check before allowing you on the road. Then again, it may just be a way to increase revenue in the the State where they take your Gold...
While I haven't heard of it happening lately (they may have been made to stop this), Florida used to mail out survey letters to several thousand people every year to the address listed on their driver's licenses. If the mail came back "not at this address", your license was suspended without notice.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
For the permanent address. I suggest talking to a friend or repative that also lives in Florida and use their address for your permanent address (if they say it is ok). I recently moved in with my girlfriend and went to a PO Box for my address. I sent our all of the change of address info. The credit card companies called and needed a permanent address - they explained it had to do with the patriot act and I gave them her address. Same at the DMV when I went to register my truck.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
Old 02-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I didn't have to provide that much info to get a US passport. Do either of you have children? You could use their address. Even if it is in another state. You must get a drivers license in some states as early as 10 days upon arrival and no longer than 30 days. I would think you could rent a space at one of the year round parks and use their address, there are a lot of people doing that. What is the deal with some people getting a CDL?
Is that required to pull a travel trailer?
Remember the election of 2000?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
What is the deal with some people getting a CDL?
Is that required to pull a travel trailer?
It supposedly has been fixed, but as recently as 5 years ago, to be completely legal, you had to have a CDL in some states to drive your own dually that you hauled your 5th wheeler with. But you only needed an operator's license to drive a Prevost motor home towing the same dually.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Americans have the right to the pursuit of happiness, there are some technicalities now a days.
While we Americans do have the right to the pursuit of happiness, we do not have the right to a driver's license...it is a privilege, not a right. Just ask any law enforcement officer.

If you want one, jump through the hoops. If you don't want to jump through the hoops, don't try to get a driver's license. Several years ago Georgia required that your thumb print be scanned in order to get a driver's license. People went crazy that that was an violation of their rights to privacy. Those people were refused a license until they agree to the finger print scan and they were told that State Law stated that a license was a privilege not a right. A few years later, additional restrictions were put on teen-aged drivers license, such as loosing the privilege if they dropped out of school, got too many speeding tickets, etc. There was an uproar! They were told that it's a privilege, not a right.

Good luck with not following the rules and getting a license. There are always ways around the rules, but it will never work to break them.

BTW, when I renewed my license last time, I got a 10 year license. Ridiculous, but I took advantage of the system so I don't have to go stand in line at the State Trooper's office again in 4 yrs.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Closed Thread