Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
First trip!!

Hey all,
I wanted to post a thread that highlights a project I have been working on over the past year. This past Sunday I was able to get my trailer far enough along to take it camping. I have had to put new floors in front and rear, axles, tires, lots of sanding/painting, toilet, inverter, water pump, Walburnizing and a laundry list of pricey items you get to replace with a vintage (1981) trailer.
Anyway the wife, dog and myself took off Sunday morning to Greenbo Lake State Resort in Ashland, KY for a one night stay - roughly 100 miles from home.
Everything in the trailer, towing and tow vehicle seemed to work FLAWLESSLY!!! I was even able to work the sewer hose/system without a spill.
It was hot here - about 90 degrees and humid. I hope to look for a new air conditioner this fall when if I see any on sale. Also I'll be looking for some memory foam for the top of the beds (couch and dinette cushions double for sleeping).
I do have a question or two for those experienced.
  1. What length fresh water hose do you typically carry? The one I had was 20 feet but would have been way too short if I were only one camping spot over.
  2. What length hose do you carry to hook into the sewer pipe flushing device? In my mad rush to leave the house I just grabbed the shortest garden hose I owned. It was way more than what I needed.
Here are a couple of tease pics. I'll write up trailer refurbish website or blog sometime to highlight all the work that was done.

Here we are leaving the house:

Here is the campsite:

Here is my dear wife making the first meal, complete with hamburgers, corn on the cob and green beans w/ham and topped off with a dark German beer!

Except for lacking some power (3:31 axle ratio stinks) it was a real joy to drive the wagon, a very smooth ride. With the proper hitch - the GW handled great and I was able to stop everything on a dime! I am especially impressed by the aluminum crossflow radiator I put in last summer. Along the highway I didn't get over 205 degrees on the long hills and the temp guage would drop like a rock to 195 degrees on the down hill side.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey, your driveway looks like a nice camping spot to me! : )

Nice setup, glad everything worked well. For hoses, I bring two 25ft fresh water hoses.. there have been times I've been happy I did. My waste hose (for the sewer solution device) is about 5 ft long... I also have an extra 25ft of electrical (BIG diameter 50 amp one) for those pesky outlets.. I have had to use this also some times.

Happy camping!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
  1. What length fresh water hose do you typically carry? The one I had was 20 feet but would have been way too short if I were only one camping spot over.
  2. What length hose do you carry to hook into the sewer pipe flushing device? In my mad rush to leave the house I just grabbed the shortest garden hose I owned. It was way more than what I needed.
good report crispy! and great pics.

i carry 135 ft of fresh water hose (50,50,25,10) and it's ALMOST enough

several shorter sections of sewer work well and can be combined when needed.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...6&postcount=30

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Crispyboy,
I will echo 3Ms75Argosy's sentiment...Your driveway looks like it would be a nice place to camp.

Also it is a nice little trailer you have there. Now get out and enjoy it some more.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
a - Your driveway at home gives the impression of beautiful surroundings to enjoy. Ya'll might think of camping there once in a while. I do. My trailer also serves as overflow sleeping accomodations when our small house is full.
b - Your trailer looks great. Sounds like you've done tons of work fixing her up. Keep going.
c - Your wife's a cutie. Is there a spare burger if I come over?
but . . .
d - I'm a sucker for Border Collies!! That photo just reached out & grabbed me. We have a rescue Border, the vet says maybe 8 to 10 years old, going gray around the eyes and lower front teeth showing wear. But our lives were completely changed when he finally accepted us as his family. He also practices his natural inclination to "herd" on us - he hates it when we are in different parts of the house and will try to bring us together in one room or the other. My partner's health isn't good, and he has made it his mission in life to protect her - day and night. She doesn't make a move without him watching or following her everywhere. He even whines when she's in the bathroom with the door closed - he wants to see & know all's well.

Have I hijacked your thread?? Sorry.

Beautiful home, DW, dog AND Airstream.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Congratulations!

What fun to finally get a project to where you can go!
Thanks for asking about water hoses - I'm picking up my new A/S soon and the responses were helpful. Have many fun trips with your trailer.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
a - Your driveway at home gives the impression of beautiful surroundings to enjoy.
Last weekend at a campground my wife and I were commenting on how we go camping and have neighbors. We don't see any other house from ours, so having another camper right next to us is different!

Quote:
d - I'm a sucker for Border Collies!!
Yup.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Thanks for the nice comments on the trailer and my dog. What better place to show off a newly refurbished trailer than on this board to those folks who would appreciate it.
The folks who pulled in to the campsite next to me came over as soon as they finished setting up and complimented us on the trailer. Hey it felt good to see my work acknowledged but honestly I didn't care because we were in our own little world. Next year I want to rework the strip around the exterior since it is severely weathered. For now I want to use the trailer whenever time allows.

My Border Collie is "Scout". He is about 7.5 years old. I raised him from a pup and we have been inseparable. (He liked the camping trip!) He goes almost everywhere with me except for church and work. He gets his play time - I took him to my fathers farm last week as we had some work to do with the cows. We have had a bad out break of pink eye this year - our fly control efforts have not worked. Anyway my dog has a great time anytime he can work the animals. It makes me sad though because he has started to get some arthritis this year.

Driveway - I actually live on a 1 acre lot - Without realizing it I just happened to snap the picture correctly so no other houses were in the angle of view.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Love the Airstream and Wagoneer. We also own Border Collie(s) Just recently had to have my constant and very smart companion Lucas put down. He was 14 and also had arthritis so bad that he could no longer get up on his own. He was an incredibly smart dog and we'll miss him. We have another Red and White male ,Robin that is now two and spends his days herding the goats next door.Anyone not familiar with the breed would be amazed at what these dogs are capable of. There is a well known German owned Border Collie that recognizes over 200 words.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
great pics and the first trip sounded like a great success. our Border colie (Trump) is about the same age and works with me at a golf course chasing geese.We tell everyone that Trump is a goose and elephant dog. People then say that we don't have any elephants. Duh!!
take care
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote