Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Families burned out in fire near Bishop, CA

The Round Valley fire burned dozens of homes in the Sierras near Bishop California-many of them were retirees. I am looking for several vintage Airstreams (1975-1990) that can be purchased by people who lost their homes in the fire. The trailers should be in working condition and livable. This might be an AS that you have not used for the past 7 years, one you picked up in 2001 to restore but have not gotten around to it, a trailer that you have been looking at but do not have a place to park it yet, etc. It would make it easier for us to tow to the Bishop area if the AS is located in California, Nevada, Oregon or Arizona.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you setting up temporary housing for those who lost their homes?
Will there be full hookups?
What size units are you looking for?
How will the units be paid for and by whom?
PM me with your email address. I will send pics of my unit with all of the details.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Sorry - forgot the email address. sierrahawk@live.com
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
I am an Airstream owner that lives in Swall Meadows. Fortunately my home and Airstream survived the fire. When the fire started we were forced to evacuate by local officials. I had an "emergency evacuation plan" and was able to grab as much as possible and put it in the trailer before leaving. Airstream owners might want to think about having an emergency plan in case of an event like this. I lived in the trailer for 4 days at a local RV park while the fire was being put out.

Thanks for the great offer. Our community will really appreciate the help.

Bill Dunlap
Swall Meadows, CA
billdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Pertinent information from Mono County Round Fire Recovery Information:
Quote:
REBUILDING
1) Can someone live in a trailer or RV on their property while rebuilding a home that was damaged or destroyed by fire?
Yes - this can be allowed through a Director Review permit process. Director Review permit applications are available on-line at Director Review | Mono County California. Once a completed application is submitted, a permit will be issued if basic conditions can be met, such as an electrical permit is obtained for any necessary hookups and sanitation methods are approved by Environmental Health. Permits that are issued to fire victims expire 12 months from the date of issuance, but may be extended if the applicant demonstrates significant progress in the reconstruction.
Couldn't help looking this up… force of habit.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
SOB's too?

When we last had a Hurricane, Isabel, come through here there was one whole town that went 10 feet under. They could only get rebuilding money if the house was raised and put on pillars (really low lying town of Poquoson)

At any rate, when I went through to visit a client 90% of the homes had SOB's in the front yard with a PVC pipe from the black tank connector to the sewer cleanout, plugged into temp 30 amp receptacles installed on phone poles and white hoses for water. That lasted for six to nine months in some cases. Insurance providers may have rented or even bought these trailers for the homeowners that had coverage for interim housing (3-6 months at a hotel vs a nice sob?).

I'm on the total wrong end of the country - and I have relatives who live in that area - but I just wouldn't rely on a non-camper to know about proper care of an Airstream.

Paula
Old 03-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
At any rate, when I went through to visit a client 90% of the homes had SOB's in the front yard with a PVC pipe from the black tank connector to the sewer cleanout, plugged into temp 30 amp receptacles installed on phone poles and white hoses for water. That lasted for six to nine months in some cases. Insurance providers may have rented or even bought these trailers for the homeowners that had coverage for interim housing (3-6 months at a hotel vs a nice sob?).
More likely FEMA trailers. New Orleans was full of them for almost three years after Hurricane Katrina, until they finally decided that anyone still living in a FEMA trailer wasn't trying hard enough to get a permanent place to live and collected the trailers— a lot of which are presently rotting away in a field near Opelousas, LA as we speak.