Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Fading away...

I find I log onto AirForums less frequently than I used to do. Somehow the tone of the forum and relevance of discussions no longer attract me as much, but mostly, the interruptive ads and screens make me want to close the screen, which I very often do. I have no idea if this style of advertising discourages other users, but it does me, and I'm sad because AirForums has been a joy to participate in-in the past. I understand the need for advertising--there seems to be much along the sides of the home page--but they seem to dominate now. I won't buy from in-my-face ads on this forum, tv, wherever they appear. So, I'm not fully gone, but definitely, I'm fading away from this group. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Not sure what ads you are talking about...I haven't noticed any more than usual. I don't get any advertising screens or disruptive ads, just the ads on the side and top. Maybe it is the cookies you allow on your computer. I don't allow them. As for relevance, I guess it depends on what you're interested in and what is relevant to you. For me, I still like to read the on-going projects and the progress of them, and find many new interesting discussions, tho usually I just read and don't comment.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I hate to hear that. I go through phases where the forums aren't as appealing. If I have a project going I'm on, or if I am following someones trip or planning my own. I have a bunch of work going on now so I am going through a lot of threads, and as the season rapidly approaches for me, I will be on asking about places to go. Maybe things will pick up for you some as people start hitting the road....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Isadora, hopefully something has gotten into my computer, cookies??, that I can get rid of that will stop the onslaught of unappreciated advertising. I'll get someone to check into that for me, because getting rid of the screen mess will make all the difference in my enjoyment of this (up to now) most informational and enjoyable group of friends. While I minimally use the workings of my computer, I'm not a guru who knows how to troubleshoot. Thanks for the suggestions, ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Rodney, your on the road trips and planning projects are threads I ALWAYS want to follow. Keep up your gorgeous photography and explorations for all of us at home, please ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ads, Georgia? By virtue of logging in, one gets rid of 90% of advertising content. Browsing when not logged in is annoying -- a major reason for lurkers to join IMO!

Discussions cover many topics and I have to allocate my time in accordance with my interests. For me it is fun reading restoration & rally threads. A few weeks back we set aside WBCCI discussions to their own area of the portal page; in some way this sharpens the focus of the main portal page thread listings.

Yes, we all wax and wane with how much time we can spend here. For one ... you are always welcome!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Ads - what ads? I'm not aware that AirForums has ANY ads except the classifieds. Of course my Web Browser is Firefox with the AdBlock plugin and that means I don't see ads on any website.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Aw shucks...(scuffing toe of sneaker in sand), this forum is proving itself, as it always does when someone goes silly (me) or stupid (me) or just in the dark about something. Thanks to the senders of responses here and pm's, showing me what I need to do to fix my mess. I"ve never seen this before, and not being a natural at understanding computers, I misread a computer problem as a forum over-the-top advertising issue. So, like a waxing moon or reviving Tinkerbell, I'm getting back my glow and won't be fading away afterall. Thanks again...and red in the face...~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
I am particularly annoyed by the Toyota ad with all of the bugs. Eww!
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
There used to be a fat lady in a bikini. I really miss her.

NOT!

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
She's still here. I saw her yesterday.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
I am particularly annoyed by the Toyota ad with all of the bugs. Eww!
Those, and the other Toyota adds, are the strangest add I have ever seen. It took me a long time to even figure out what they were selling. I still haven't figured out why the adds would make me want to buy a Toyota.?.? "I nee more bugs in my life!"???

On topic, I too use Firefox with the Adblock Plus Add-on. Doesn't get rid of all adds, but seriously cuts down on the number.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Wink Elvis Lives

I thought I was fading away too.
But just yesterday I saw a guy fueling a pickup towing a nice Airstream and I would have sworn it was Elvis!
Logged right on to tell everyone about it.
He said he was in Massachusetts for that election tomorrow and he would not say how he was going to vote.
Who would have thought, Elvis and Massachusetts!!!!
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Firefox Adblocker Plus

I thought I had already installed the Firefox Adblocker Plus but after checking I saw that I didn't. I have now installed it and and as they say, all of the ads are yesterday.

If you don't have Firefox you don't know what you are missing.

Thanks for the heads up on Adblocker.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Ads? I don't got no stinkin' ads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
I find I log onto AirForums less frequently than I used to do. Somehow the tone of the forum and relevance of discussions no longer attract me as much, but mostly, the interruptive ads and screens make me want to close the screen, which I very often do. I have no idea if this style of advertising discourages other users, but it does me, and I'm sad because AirForums has been a joy to participate in-in the past. I understand the need for advertising--there seems to be much along the sides of the home page--but they seem to dominate now. I won't buy from in-my-face ads on this forum, tv, wherever they appear. So, I'm not fully gone, but definitely, I'm fading away from this group. ~G
Sounds like you need to install the Mozilla Firefox browser and then add the Addblock add-on.

With this, you will never see any ads; makes no difference if you are logged in or not.

I continue to be amazed at how many people put up with stuff like ads when a little bit of searching by way of Google will provide information about tools that can be used on a computer to browse the internet that offer a less intrusive piece of software than that which microsoft offers.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I started fading away a few months ago when I noticed that some people were moderated and some people weren't. It seemed that a liberal comment was welcomed with open arms but a conservative view was always moderated and deleted for being too political. I know I'm not the only one that felt that way and not the only one to visit the airforums less frequently. I don't see any difference now, but am visiting more often out of selfish reasons.

You probably need to either get a popup blocker or turn yours on. Google has a nice one that works for me and it is free. I tried Firefox and I guess I am one of the few that is unimpressed. It probably is a good browser but it just didn't do any thing for me.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I get the same way sometimes, especially when I'm searching for a thread and I'm hoping that someone else has experienced the same problem as I have....case in point, the bathroom mirror latch in our Sovereign broke (again) and I have been trying to find a thread that can point me in the right direction....no such luck. That really is disheartening.

What I do is go over to the Ford diesel forum for a bit and lurk there. As luck would have it, the solution to my latch problem presented itself and I am back on track, ready to contribute and hopefully help other people with their problems here.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I LOVE all the ads..specially that great buggy toyota....reminds me of all the stuff on the market that I need to forget. They pay to reach me and I just smile and say no thanks.

Kind'a like all the junk mail I use in the litter box.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks, all! I'm such a happier camper now than I was this morning. I'm sure those of you for whom such a simple fix IS a simple fix must shake your combined handy heads in amazement at my kind of ineptness...but you're so nice about it Hopefully this spoke to some other inepts on the forum who might have been having the same frustation that I'd been having--so a broader good might come from a muddle. ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I hope the ad for that bank that shows the guy being mean to a couple of kids shows up here. Man - I just never get enough that. I mean, who would have thought that was a way to encourage people to do business with you?

Who knew?

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote