Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #41
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray
I guess that means we'll have to leave our 'ground crew' at home from now on, and they won't be able to wash and blow dry our camp site before we get there...damn, next, someone will point out we use Irish Linen on the park bench and that the Champagne bucket is wrought silver to match our rig!
Maybe the true test of snobbery is if we wear white shoes while camping before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
I BEG your Pardon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Maybe the true test of snobbery is if we wear white shoes while camping before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.
What's wrong with dressing up? These Airstreamers are Styling!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my jacket!.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	60449  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
My sister and b-in-law paid $10,500 for a new decked out pop-up.
I paid $9000 for a 20 yr old Airstream....and yet she says I am the snob?

My sister says, yes, you are the snob, you also had to buy a $40,000 diesel pickup to pull your trailer, and we didn't have to spend extra money to get a tow vehicle.......I said...

ok...point well taken. <major eyeroll>

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
My wife and I like may others here work and have worked extremely hard our whole lives. Very few vacations and frugal lifestyle and long hours.. So we saved a little money and bought an airstream.... Purchasing something like this was out of character for us. life decisions.....like running our vehicles .....my every day van is a 1997 and I plan on a few more years I bought it used in 1998. My wife drives a 2002 explorer and will have it for a long time to come. We built our own house while living in a SOB on site in 1991. We refurbed some rental units in our spare time,,,,, Like many of you, we work very hard .Who were the snobs the last 20 years when those same individuals had all the time to go and do things and many of us were chained here to our work (by choice) Some play early....now we plan to start playing a little,,,,make the time Fnally. and we are doing it in a Airstream Snob......? How can we be blamed for being late starters then deciding to spend some extra money we coulda spent all along.
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:06 AM   #45
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Last night we had dinner with some friends. They brought their Aunt that was visiting. At some point our friends started talking about my blog and what has been going on lately on the project. Well the Aunt, who was very dour and quiet lit up like a light bulb. She was so excited, that it was almost odd. She insisted on a tour. She was so insistent that when the waitress asked if we wanted dessert, see replied, " No bring me the check, we have an Airstream to go see" She picked up the bill and headed for the door. Actually turned, telling us to get a move on. When we got to the house I plugged Anna in unlocked the door. She jumped in like a 6 year old in the candy isle. The lady was actually crying. I was very overwhelmed by the experience. She told me it was the most beautiful Airstream she had ever been in. Then hugged me and said thank you. I have never seen anyone react to something like that.
I have never heard the snob comment. I only hear how lucky I am and weather I would loan it. Our friends 17 year old daughter asked if she could take it to the beach for week after graduation. My response was yes, after you give me $50,000 as a deposit.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:46 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
So just curious. Is this a recent event or has it always been this way?
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
extremes

I live in a double wide in a 55+ trailer park - Drive a new Porsche - Own a Airstream - Am retired - Have a good income to do what I want. I kinda enjoy being classified by different people, smile at the comments. From Trailer trash to snob, I guess I'm a mixture of it all.

Groups of folks, be they rich or poor, act amazingly the same when it comes to interfacing with folks outside their special "group" Only the folks inside the "group" are seen as the best! the benchmark to judge from, the elite. We start forming this attitude at a young age. You were either a Letterman in sports or a cheerleader or you were just, well - you know, nobody.

Are we Airstreamers snobby? Yes in a word - just read the posts about SOB's or the ones about Wally's bunch by the forum group - republicans about democrats.

Most of us, I suspect, even enjoy a little envy by others. Gotta go now, it's a nice day so I'm gonna put the top down on the Ssr and go for a cruse.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #48
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Gowyn

I think you get a little of that with anything that has the impression of being a more expensive. Lately I have been driving a 4 year old Jaguar that was considerably less expensive than the 300 or the STS but people treat you differently when you drive up in it which is kind of silly. I like it for the way it performs I didn't really care for the looks of that much.

Most of the time when I use an older Airstream people think it is new so I guess the reverse should work so try telling them yours is a 1987.

Andy

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #49
Gator1

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Where is the money spent?

I think my favorite was a man I camped next to once who decried the Airstream expense. He was camping in a relatively new pop-up parked next to his trailered $40,000 bass boat.

Why is my Airstream more snobby than his (more expensive) bass boat?

Jim
WBCCI #5228
2006 25' Safari FB
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #50
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
When towing the AS, we pull up next to other rigs at intersections. The window rolls down and we ask; " Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon."

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
I always carry some just for that reason...hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
When towing the AS, we pull up next to other rigs at intersections. The window rolls down and we ask; " Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon."

Tom
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
" Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon."
Mmm, yes - I like that. Now if we could only figure out a way to tow with our smug little Prius, I'd have a trifecta!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Janesville , Wisconsin
Smile

After reading everyone's posts so far, it seems that those with vintage Airstreams receive warmer receptions at campgrounds than those of us with newer campers.

Perhaps people are more likely to approach an older unit for nostalgic reasons.

We've only taken our Safari out twice, so I really don't yet have much experience with other people's reactions, but I have noticed a cooler reception when we've camped.

That being said, we are really looking forward to our first rally in Bloomington that's coming up in a few weeks! It will be great to be among fellow Airstreamers!!
marta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #54
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just came in from polishing to post. I realized I am a snob. When we are on the road, if I see an SOB up ahead, well, I floor it. It is like something comes over me, washes over me with out reason. I set my sights and go hell bent for election to catch up and pass. Last rally we attended I saw an SOB miles ahead on 97 north. It took me close to 25 minutes to catch up and another 10 to full pass. I somehow must feel that they need to follow me, not the other way around. As far as being embarrassed to own an Airstream, well I am more embarrassed for those that do not. The fella I passed on 97 north was pulling a rig about as long as mine with a Ford F350. I pull with a Dodge 1500. As I came along side I gave him the two finger way and smiled. He waved back with one finger. I guess he was the one embarrassed.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowyn
Just wondering if this is a recent thing or has this been an ongoing thing since Airstream first appeared on the market.

It's almost embarrassing when talking to people and then telling them I own a 2007 Airstream. Do people really think we're snobs or well to do or something?

Don't get me wrong, LOVE the trailer and the lifestyle. Just hate talking about it to non Airstream owners.
I understand what you mean. We were very excited to get our Airstream. But now we tend to down play it in speaking to others if we mention it at all. In fact our own children don't even know we have a second Airstream.

My brother-in-law made comments that we may think their trailer is cheesy and an SOB when we were excitedly talking about our Airstream.

And this you may find unusual, I certainly did, but Airstreamers and club members themselves have made disparaging comments to me for trading up. I mean NASTY comments that really took me off guard. Not just one or two but several people have done that, not even in conversation or the context of discussing it, completely out of the blue, lopped as a charge against our characters as if a flaw. Believe it or not.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
I just came in from polishing to post. I realized I am a snob. When we are on the road, if I see an SOB up ahead, well, I floor it. It is like something comes over me, washes over me with out reason. I set my sights and go hell bent for election to catch up and pass. Last rally we attended I saw an SOB miles ahead on 97 north. It took me close to 25 minutes to catch up and another 10 to full pass. I somehow must feel that they need to follow me, not the other way around. As far as being embarrassed to own an Airstream, well I am more embarrassed for those that do not. The fella I passed on 97 north was pulling a rig about as long as mine with a Ford F350. I pull with a Dodge 1500. As I came along side I gave him the two finger way and smiled. He waved back with one finger. I guess he was the one embarrassed.
A snobby hippy? What is the world coming to???
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
The fella I passed on 97 north was pulling a rig about as long as mine with a Ford F350. I pull with a Dodge 1500.
That probably speaks more about the quality of Dodge over Fords as Airstreams over SOBs...

I know, I'm already ducking for cover!

;-)

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #58
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I always make sure I say something nice about their rigs, and they go away satisfied.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #59
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear
That probably speaks more about the quality of Dodge over Fords as Airstreams over SOBs...

I know, I'm already ducking for cover!

;-)
duck low. 45000 miles towing with my 06 F-250. No problems.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
It ain't just the Airstream! In the summer we buzz around in a '91 Saab turbo convertible that might just as well be a new Mercedes or Porsche for the looks of resentment we get. Aside from the "top down" fun, it gets 32 mpg if I behave. On the other hand, I could never convince onlookers that I'm driving it to save money! Like our Airstreams, the Saab will hold it's value indefinitely if taken care of.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote