Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We compound the issue by adding a vintage TV to the equation. People are always surprised that "that old car" can pull a trailer and then they say "how old is that trailer? Did you buy it new?" even after we've told them the trailer is a 1951 and the car a 1957. I think the math just does not happen quick enough.

We've never heard anyone comment about elitists or snobs. Cult yes, both trailer and car. The best though was from a US Customs Officer in his late forties or early fifties who, as we crossed the border asked the years of the vehicles and then his partner who was probably in his thirties said to my wife "lady, you folks are living THE dream. It just can't get any better than this." That made our day as these folks see a lot of vehicles every day.

It is my feeling that because the vast majority of Airstream owners are very open and willing to talk and show their trailers that people see us as being different in that way as well. Because they are seldom if ever asked to display their trailer I suspect it may cause a bit of envy.

It is nice to own a piece of rolling art and to work to keep it that way. It is fun to show it to people and in our case with the hope that they too will get the bug and go find one. When our buddies have their Flying Clouds done next year (Geesh, they are really taking their time) I suspect the comments will increase with three Airstreams and three vintage TV's. Now that will be fun.

Barry
Old 05-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
I could never figure why, but, my in-laws- who did a lot of camping in the 60’s and 70’s felt Airstream owners were snobs and all of them were impressed with how much money they had. He owned one for about 6 months and sold it – probably for that reason.

Personally, I never met an Airstream owner that was a jerk, snob, or let their dog piddle on my campsite.

I have observed that Airstreamers have an interest in each others rigs, and even though strangers, they immediately have a lot in common and a way to becomes friends more quickly. To an outsider that may appear to be a bit cliquish where, in fact, it was simply an easy introduction.

The reality is: our 73 Safari cost us very little past a lot of elbow grease. But you know, sometimes I don’t mind being mistaken for a wealthy man…

;-)

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
It is my feeling that because the vast majority of Airstream owners are very open and willing to talk and show their trailers that people see us as being different in that way as well. Because they are seldom if ever asked to display their trailer I suspect it may cause a bit of envy.
I have to admit, that when faced with a campground full of what appear to me to be identical white boxes, I've never asked to see inside one. So maybe I am an Airstream snob, because in a field of nearly identical Airstreams I want to see inside each one!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
When we first got our Argosy and camped in it, the campground hosts thought it was great that we had found a trailer that looked like an Airstream, but thank God it wasn't. Seems all the Airstream owners that ever stayed there had their noses stuck so high in the air they couldn't see the other RV'ers...
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pansy
Dealing with the American Pubic for 20+ yrs. has shown me that prolly 98% of Americans are "dumber than stumps".
And still... no idea why anybody would think we're snobs.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams
We recently sold our 2005 International CCD- to someone from several states away- and our trailer was not for sale locally because we didn't want to tell anyone how much we were asking for it. We own an insurance agency and get enough slack as is- and we didn't want to add any fuel to the fire if the locals found out we were asking 35K for a travel trailer! That being said we now have less money tied up in 6 vintage units than we did in 1 newer unit (until all the restoration begins- but thats another thread). Airstreamers are not snobs- go to any rally and you will have confirmation of that! We just own something that is unique and special- like owning a Porsche or BMW (you can pick up vintage ones unrestored quite cheap- but people will always assume it was expensive because of the name). It is what it is- be proud you own an AIrstream and don't feel guilty if someone is jealous - if their not jealous of you it will be someone else.
So if you are not embarrassed to own SIX Airstreams I won't feel bad about being Jealous of your collection!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I tell folks that I own a travel trailer and normally only say it's an Airstream if I'm asked or it's germane to the conversation. Remembering my pre Airstream days, most folks normally on initial conversation do not state the brand name of their RV, since in most cases you envision another white box.

It's only on subsequent conversation that gets into the branding where the make of the RV comes up. So to me if someone would ask do I camp or own an RV, the answer would be yes I have a travel trailer. Any additional information to that question would in my opinion, be more of a social statement that could be looked at as elitist or snobbish.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Like much of the public, I didn't know that much about Airstreams other than what I had seen on the exterior and that they cost more than your average trailer. After asking a friend's uncle to give me a tour of one he was selling in 1987-88 (a new model was sitting on his property), I was hooked. I didn't know there were so many versions/models out there as I started doing more research in 2000 after my grandmother passed away at the age of 102 and leaving me part of her estate. This was the only way at the time I could afford to buy an Airstream in the beginning even if it was used. I've since sold it after purchasing a shorter 25' model from the '86 year and working a part time job to pay off the note difference.

Based on the fact that I have purchased used models which were 23 yrs. and then 18 yrs. old, I sure can't picture myself as being an elitist and definately not a snob. I train groups of people in class sizes of 8 to as much as 110 on a daily basis so it is so easy for me to strike up a conversation with anyone in a campground or other venue. Many times people will ask if my trailer is an "older" model and I have to say that it is an '86 then go on to explain when the "wide body" models came out and the fact that the factory is making at least 3 widths depending on the model or whether it is designed for the European market. People so often state that Airstream has used the same shape for so many years and all I can reply is that the aerodynamics make the Airstream whether it is an older model or newer right off the line. They really become fascinated when you start talking about the different interior configurations over the years and how much in demand they are. I admit to them that I may not have the interior space of the box type trailers but everything is in working order and no leaks!

I think by the time I finish my conversation with those asking questions about my Airstream, they know some of the pros and cons of ownership in addition to the fact that the price of a used model is not out of their reach if they are willing to do a little work to keep it up. Airstreams aren't for everybody but I feel right at home in mine.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #29
DFK
2 Rivet Member

I just tell folks I have a travel trailer. If they inquire further, I tell them I have a 40 year old Airstream. I think its hard for them to think that someone with a 40 year old trailer, regardless of the brand, is a snob.
DFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Life is relative ....

In a campground full of tents and popups any trailer is going to stand out as pretty elite ....

In an rv park full of motor coaches a Bambi looks (and is) mighty modest ....

... then again - there was that time we were parked in the middle of a bunch of Prevosts - I'm pretty sure those folks were green with envy as they eyed up our 19 feet of opulent over-the-top luxury .... I do hope we didn't lord it over them too much ....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Embarrassed to own an Airstream

Embarrassed not to.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I had to make the post above while I was on lunch break, so couldn't go on in-depth. When I call to make reservations and the place I am going has a "10 year rule", when they ask what year and make my trailer is, I tell them it's an Airstream, without elaborating on year. If I meet someone at the place we're staying, I tell them it's an antique Airstream. When someone at work, or "out and about" is conversing, I just refer to "our trailer" or "our travel trailer", and only go into details if asked.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Jack and Craig have much more self control than I. As someone who's only recently been out and about with our Globe, I tend to swing open the door to anybody who so much as smiles and asks what year it is.

The way I see it is: most people tend to be on the shy side, keep to themselves. So if they made the effort to talk to me in the first place, it was most likely out of genuine interest. I'd rather err on the side of being that friendly "ambassador" Wally encouraged everyone to be rather than leave them wishing they'd found out more.

I guess my point is that if you aren't proud of your hobbies, and happy to share your enjoyment with the rest of the world... you may not be the ideal candidate to have a 25 foot long tube of aluminum attached to your car in the first place.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Do they still make those?" or "I didn't know they made slide outs." or "Do you mind if I show my wife your Airstream?" Others campers are usually curious about our Airstream and we're happy to be gracious hosts and/or tour guides. We've always enjoyed looking into other folks trailers as well (especially Airstreams) as if to return a compliment. No snob or embarrassment factor here.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 05-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo

I guess my point is that if you aren't proud of your hobbies, and happy to share your enjoyment with the rest of the world... you may not be the ideal candidate to have a 25 foot long tube of aluminum attached to your car in the first place.
I've learned not to discuss my hobbies with my co-workers, they all think I need to be in a straightjacket as it is. The few times I've talked about them (the hobbies), I get that "looking at a weird bug" look, and they find an excuse to hurry off to do something more interesting, like trying to lick an electric fence...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH
If jealous SOB owners think you "paid too much" for your AS, they may not understand the false economy of owning some of the SOBs out there. By the time they replace a fallen-apart, disposable SOB every X number of years, they may have very well paid just as much as if they invested in the longevity of an AS in the first place.
As well, even the better built Avions, Streamlines and Silver Streaks; longevity pays for itself.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
This topic was covered in "Am I an AS snob? Are you?!". I found the earlier thread and this one very interesting. With everybody out there being what I would consider great ambassadors, how can anybody think we are snobs? Whenever I see anybody pause or stop and gape at our trailers I make it a point to make the first attempt at conversation. Some have only a cursory interest while others are truly interested and want to know more about the Airstream brand. We have made countless new campground friends with our trailers and I hope it continues, they make a great icebreaker. As I said in the previous post in the other thread, we always keep a stack of Airstream brochures and our RV dealer's business cards on hand to give out to anybody that is interested.

I think reactions can be classified as interest in the Airstream name and trailer or interest in something totally different to somebody's eye. This past weekend we were camped with four other SOB's. One of the guys that we camp with owns a truck wreck shop. They had gotten a Holiday Rambler mobile home that was all but totaled. Well they are the kind of folks that are always re-engineering things and they basically grafted a Mack truck front end onto this Holiday Ramber body. It was done well and makes for quite a unique looking RV. Well they were parked in the site next to our Airstream and people would slow down and look at ours, but their jaws dropped as soon as they saw the "Mackstrosity" (as they call it ) and most of the conversations and questions were directed at them. So I think a great departure from the white box SOB really draws fellow RV'ers' attention. All week long my friends were ribbing me that my friend, Shane, was stealing my thunder. We all got a good laugh out of it. And I will make sure that he never parks the "Mackstrosity" next to our Airstream again .
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #38
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Many of the people we meet on the road or who walk up to our campsite have had an Airstream experience one time in their life. We hear comments like, my uncle used to take us camping in one of these or I used to sleep on the front sofa. Since my Airstream is vintage, it brings back a lot of happy memories for many folks. Never have we been looked upon as elitist, we are very far from it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
people don't think i'm a snob.on the contrary ,they find my hobby absurd.this includes my wife's opinion as well.there is nobody i know who has a clue.alas, i camp as a lonely guy.hot dog for uno........i take that back.the ones who will camp with me truly are absurd ,so i never do camp with them.pithetic is it not?yuck yuck
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Snobs?..Jeeves please fold down the step so I may enter the Silver Palace...now what were we talking about before the interruption? Does extending one's pinky at Tea Time in the afternoon constitute 'snobbish' behaviour...I think not...

It just cracks me up to think that other campers may think we are snobs because we own an Airstream - let them eat cake!

Speaking of prices...It's interesting to note that our 1978, 28 ft AS Ambassador cost about $18K with some options when new, according to the OR's papers that were stuffed inside the manuals.

In 1977, we paid about $17K for a brand new 24ft, Ford Class C (Field & Stream) MoHo with AC and generator. We still have the MoHo in the back yard, and it's wood frame shell is falling down around itself!

There is NO comparison between the two, and I suspect that the new AS one buys today that's about the price of current Class C rigs, will outshine and outclass them for years to come, also!

I'm afraid that if we're to be labeled 'snobs' because we tow a shiny silver cocoon around, we can handle that!

I guess that means we'll have to leave our 'ground crew' at home from now on, and they won't be able to wash and blow dry our camp site before we get there...damn, next, someone will point out we use Irish Linen on the park bench and that the Champagne bucket is wrought silver to match our rig!
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote