Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Electric bicycle.

A fellow just zipped past my site on an electric bike. I want one. Anybody else have one and take it with them camping?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
I have a Trek 7200+ electric assist bike, which I was fortunate enough to find used. It has a lithium battery pack and drum motor along with the normal 24 speed shifters, front suspension and built in front and rear lights. You still have to pedal but it can be adjusted to multiply the effort at several levels from hardly having to pedal at all to normal unassisted pedaling. It also recharges on the downhills. Range is about 12 miles on the higher assist settings and longer if you do more of the work. It is governed at 20mph but I bet it would do twice that with the governor removed. We haven't taken it camping yet -- it is pretty heavy and cumbersome to heft into the tow vehicle. It would ride ok on a regular bike rack if one was installed.

Not sure if they still make this model but here are details:

Trek Product Reviews and Ratings - Hybrid - 7200+ from Trek
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Envelo Bicycles

I've ordered two and they will be here about the end of the week or so.i encourage you to read about as many as you can to understand the differences. One that charges going down hill is harder to pedal ive read. The EVELO is pretty expensive but it has top quality components. Supposed to do 20 mph on level pavement. Reportly will have 20-30 mile range. We'll see.

I have two bike rack that fits in receiver of my Sprinter. It may take a little adjustment to have doors open with bikes on there but I don't think it is significant.

Seems like great solution for us (in our 70's). We can park sprinter and ride around Sante Fe, Taos, etc.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
A fellow just zipped past my site on an electric bike. I want one. Anybody else have one and take it with them camping?
I saw that guy yesterday, if he was on a lime green one and you're still at Ft. Pickens.

I used to have one before I bought my toad, right up until the rechargeable battery wore out and wouldn't recharge anymore, and I found that I couldn't buy a replacement. Without a battery an electric bike is just a regular bike that's harder to pedal, so I got rid of it.

I bought it after foot surgery, for rehab purposes since my leg muscles turned to mush after 14 weeks on crutches. I would pedal as far as I could, but if I didn't have enough stamina to complete the route and get back home, the electric motor was there to save me having to flag down a taxi.

The times I took my electric bike to campgrounds were fun. Especially when a park ranger at Eisenhower State Park in Texas flagged me down to tell me I was exceeding the park's speed limit.

Anyway, the moral of the tale is, if you buy an electric bike, make sure you can get replacement batteries!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have a Hilltopper kit on my Trek 7100. It costs $495 and takes about 30 minutes to install. I have dragged it out to Yellowstone for fours summers now and use it to commute to work. I have the plain old sealed lead acid batteries so good for about 5 miles. You have to peddle up hills but it feels like you are pedaling on level ground. Otherwise you just breeze along.

My bikes travel on a bike rack mounted on the front of my TV so it has taken lots of abuse and still runs like a champ.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I talked to the fellow. It is rear wheel powered on a 12 speed bike. He said that was a mistake. If he builds another it will be on a one speed bike mounted in the front wheel. He did not like all the shifting required. He has had it for several years. Says the new motors and batteries are much better quality and more efficient.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Consider the pedal assist bikes .like what Trek makes so that you still pedal some. They are lots of fun and you still get some exercise.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have a beach cruiser that is just begging to be motorized. Now to do a little research on available DIY kits.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Anyway, the moral of the tale is, if you buy an electric bike, make sure you can get replacement batteries!

I understand the need for replcement btteries but more importantly where do we get replacement legs for us that don't have battery powered bikes? :}
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Researching new kits. Seems many are using new lithium battery technology, claiming better efficiency and longer run times. Of course the price reflects this new tech.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There are conversion kits to change a conventional bike to motor assisted. I know nothing about these, but just go to Amazon and enter Electric Bike Conversion kit. A couple of hundred bucks instead of a couple of thousand.

Paula
Old 08-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
We just got back from a cruise a week ago... in Victoria BC we rented "E-wind" electric bikes that are boost+pedal bikes with lithium-ion battery packs. We found that they were a great toy for cruising around the town and a good help in climbing the steep hill up to Craigdarroch Castle. When I recover from the pain and suffering of renovating the '76 Argosy28 center-bath, maybe.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I had one for a couple of years and got rid of it. I had some fun times on it, but....

The limited cruising range made it impractical for many purposes
The weight made it difficult to transport in a vehicle
Stupid restrictions here in Sacramento kept it off the bike trails (and eventually doomed the dealer)

I didn't mind the 20 mph limit. It's a lot faster than I can peddle on my own!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
URB-E Folding Rides

Just saw these in front of the W in Austin: http://www.urb-e.com/about-urb-e-fol...ctric-vehicle/

Neat little scooter!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
and Made in USA!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
This bike looks amazing.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...ken=a811cc0e#/
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
and Made in USA!
if you want made in the USA check these out. A friend of mine has one and has several thousand miles already on it.

https://www.prodecotech.com/
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Unifreck, a forum member here has 2 that he took along to the Wyoming boondock adventure last summer. Awesome bikes and not too spendy either. Fat tires to go anywhere.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #19
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
We bought two "E-motion" electric bikes last year. They have a range of up to 60 miles depending on how efficiently you use the battery. They accompanied us on a 9,000 mile road trip last year. We used them in the National parks, The greenway in Boise, Victoria BC, and for transportation a few times. Really enjoyed them. Like others mentioned, they are quite heavy.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #20

Nebo , Kentucky
Electric Bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I work as a Bicycle Event Director for a major bicycle touring company. Last year on an event in Utah, an 80 year old had an electric bicycle. His bicycle gave him the opportunity to continue a fitness program and enjoy the outdoors at his age. There was a 68 mile days with a major climb from Panguitch, Utah up to Cedar Breaks. The bicycle performed flawlessly.
dbp05ret is offline   Reply With Quote