Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Redbud and Steve thx. Lots of votes and satisfied customers with the Kindle Paperwhite. I will also read up for one that has Wi-Fi. Don't know if that's going to be the Oasis, so that the downloading is even easier.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
I have an older Kindle and I love it. The only drawback is that my library no longer uses Overdrive and all their content is on some cloud app. I think if you are getting a new device, you will be fine but I'd suggest just double checking that it is compatible with whatever app your library uses. If you plan to borrow, that is.

There is another service called "The Fussy Librarian" that offers free books. Heavy on the murder mysteries and cozies but sometimes they have a classic and some of their nonfiction choices are good too.
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Newnan , Georgia
Kindle Paperwhite... hands down.

Pro tip: Get an account/card at your local library and "check out" e-books directly to your Kindle, free of charge. I've read more with my Paperwhite in the last 9 months than the last 9 year.

Enjoy.
Nozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Sedona , Arizona
E Reader

I use and recommend the Kindle Paper White.

It's traveler friendly; small, lightweight, excellent battery life and my newer device has the ability to reverse the screen color for nighttime reading.
rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Original Poster:
After a couple weeks of research and a week of this thread I chose a Kindle Paperwhite. Thank you all for all the informative and polite input.

I chose, new, non ad supported, wifi enabled, 32g.

Overall Kindle Paperwhite got better reviews and pro's than the Kindle Oasis.

I hope to get 3 to 5 years out of it with good care and updates. Nook was a good contender but I am not confident Barnes & Knoble will continue to be solvent in 3 years.

I will come back in time to review how I'm adjusting to it.

Thanks again.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #46
KatDoug

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Michigan
Kindle

I looked at all of them and went with the Kindle. I have the PaperWhite, but all of them are good. I can "borrow" from the library, I can "lend" my books to other readers, and Amazon Prime gets me a lot of books for less money, especially some of my favorites that I have in several formats. (Harry Potter series in Hardcover, paperback, Audible, Kindle because I re-read them or listen to them often)
katdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
If you like to read while spouse wants to sleep, don't go with a Paperwhite. I read every night before falling asleep, so a bright situation wouldn't go over well. I also use the Easy Eyes app on my Kindle, which turns the screen a reddish color and dims it further. That bluish tone is supposed to keep you awake... White letters on a black background, of course. Early Bird Books sends out a daily email with book specials, some around $2. Kindle Unlimited and First Reads deliver up free reading.

One thing watch out for- just because you can see your book in the Carousel, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's available to be read on your Kindle. If you don't have wi-fi, it won't open up. So before a trip, I make sure to open up every book I might want to read, and look at page 1. Then it's on the device, for sure!

Also, get an extra-long charging cable, preferably white. It's terrible when you go to settle in with a good book, only to find that you're at 5% charge! White cables are also easier to find at night.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #48

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
I have read on a kindle for more than 10 years.
My library(more than 300 books)is on that tiny device.
Kindle can define a word I don’t understand , save a passage and many other things. I believe most print books will eventually go away .
Can’t say enough about it!
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #49

Auburn , Alabama
Regardless of the device you use, I've found that the free ReadEra ebook reader app to be excellent. It will read almost, if not all, of the various ebook formats. I use it on both my Amazon Fire and Samsung Galaxy tablets.

Also do checkout the zlibrary site at https://b-ok.cc/ for downloading free ebooks. I have used it for several years. It's an excellent source for free ebooks.
prather1 is offline   Reply With Quote