Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Death of the V8......

Read it here...Bye-Bye to GM’s V-8s - Car News - Car and Driver January 2008

Those v6's don't sound so bad after all. I think we may all be downsizing soon... the euro trailers frames may make sense over here yet.

I wonder when NASCAR will change over... oh yeah, the Nationwide series is already v6... with they go to fours and Cup to v8?
I'm sure the p/u's will continue with diesels. It'll be interesting in years to come.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Looks like the early '80s all over again . . . we thought the world was coming to an end, but it didn't.

There's nothing sweeter than the sound of a free-breathing V8, but there are other viable options for performance and for towing.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet V8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Read it here...Bye-Bye to GM’s V-8s - Car News - Car and Driver January 2008

Those v6's don't sound so bad after all. I think we may all be downsizing soon... the euro trailers frames may make sense over here yet.

I wonder when NASCAR will change over... oh yeah, the Nationwide series is already v6... with they go to fours and Cup to v8?
I'm sure the p/u's will continue with diesels. It'll be interesting in years to come.
Marc
The V8 is a proven, efficient, design. When Indy cars were subjected to fuel tank restrictions, it signaled the end of the 4-cylinder Offenhauser, or Offy, engine. What replaced it? A V8 of the same displacement. The 4-cylinder could make the same horsepower, but was not as fuel efficient. Remember, it is in GM’s (or any other manufacturer’s) interest to sell you the fewest cylinders possible. Stand by for small displacement singles.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
Looks like the early '80s all over again . . . we thought the world was coming to an end, but it didn't.

There's nothing sweeter than the sound of a free-breathing V8, but there are other viable options for performance and for towing.
Agreed with the exception of a V12.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We've all seen this coming for at least a year and a half.....you can't sell a lot of cars and trucks if they get 11mpg in a $3+/gallon marketplace.

The V8 as it is, is dead, long live the V8!

Maybe if Hydrogen ever takes off (or **scoff** we get back to about $1.50/gallon for gas), they'll come back to the mainstream, but really, only folks like us will need them for towing and will have to pay the high price of fuel to feed these dinosaurs.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I haven't owned a V8 for over 15 years. Since then only 4 and 6 cyl smaller vehicles.

Been towing with a V6 for the last 10 years with "0" issues related to towing.

With the new V6 output reaching the 300HP+ with appropriate torque and the modern 5 and 6 speed trannys towing prowess gets very good for many applications.

The future looks promising for reliabilty and improved fuel economy.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
It's really about cubic inches, hp, and torque. Number of cylinders is irrelevant...
But boy, the small block in my last Chevy 1/2 ton sure was a pleasure to drive. I miss that truck....and I can't say that about too many things mechanical...well maybe a few of the bikes I owned too...never mind, long live the small block!

Bill
Old 01-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
I haven't owned a V8 for over 15 years. Since then only 4 and 6 cyl smaller vehicles.

Been towing with a V6 for the last 10 years with "0" issues related to towing.

With the new V6 output reaching the 300HP+ with appropriate torque and the modern 5 and 6 speed trannys towing prowess gets very good for many applications.

The future looks promising for reliabilty and improved fuel economy.
Yea, I would expect that towing a 23' vintage could be done with a V6 and have "0" or few issues, but that isn't really such a great option for those with newer trailers in the range at and above 6000lbs.......that is unless some of the V6 offerings are significantly redesigned from the point they are today. I believe that is why we are hearing more about diesel and 6 cyl standard in p/u trucks in the future. Most with the heavier towing needs though may "upgrade" to the diesel option. I can't see a lot of folks here on this forum towing with a V6 unless it was heavily modifed to support a heavy tow, but then again, under a heavy tow, would the MPG even be that much better with a modified V6 than today's standard small block? Guess we'll all find out in due time.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I would think for cars this is the story for the v8. For trucks however, say another 10 years gas versions in this country make for great work horses. If the e85 models contiue. like what our current 150, the cost to operate is significantly reduced, and cleaner as well. A great step in the right direction for those needing this type of vehicle. If you see what the US government is buying for its fleet of trucks then this will be the wave for some time. Almost all militry bases have private e85 locations and it is growing. On this trip our currrent cost for fuel is below 2.50/gal. Too bad California is way behind on locations, reality will strike when we get past New Mexico late this week. Hard to find after that.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Some Military Bases have hydrogen fueling also. Very interesting
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcru
Some Military Bases have hydrogen fueling also. Very interesting
Can't blame 'em...makes perfect sense. A lot of what we have out there was in military form at first....cell phones, GPS, etc. Eventually all things get handed down for pubilc consumption, though in some cases, not quite as good as the gov/mil have....GPS is but one example.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
It's really about cubic inches, hp, and torque. Number of cylinders is irrelevant...

Bill
Possibly not. I believe it has more to do with technology. Better designs, improved hardware, electronic controls, synthetic lubrication, and tighter specs, etc.

For example... Back in the 70's I had a mint 69 427ci Corvette (390 HP).

Our current 215ci V6 sport sedan, "grocery getter", will out handle, out stop, and "almost" out accelerate the big block vette. Note: The vette is only a couple 10ths quicker in the 1/4.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
For us OLDTIMERS who were around for the 1974 oil embargo this is like dejavue all over again. Except for the realization that the Big three might get it right this time. Those of us who lived through the late 70's and 80's understand why Toyota and Honda are now displacing Ford, Chrysler and GM in vehicle sales. It started because the big threes answer to better fuel mileage, to put it mildly, a joke back then. The choked the horse power out of the engines with egr and low compression instead of making NEW engines and cars that got better fuel economy.

I for one could care less whats under the hood as long as it has the power to do the job at hand. Don't get me wrong I love V-8's. But I have come to realize that I love to travel even more. If it takes turbo charged V-6's and 4's so be it. Just make they last and reliable with the power to do the job...O..and fuel efficent too. It looks like We will become more European in our thinking in the near future with more diesel and smaller vehicles. Fuel prices dictate that.

As for NASCAR, all engines in the Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Craftmans truck series use V-8's. Matter of fact they ALL use the same V-8 with various carborator (now theres a term you don't hear in modern auto production) restrictions. Matter of fact all makes and models use the SAME engines on matter if it is Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Toyota. The rules are such that even the value trains between manufacturers are, for all purposes, the same. So...the Sprint Cup (formerly Winston Cup) now has cars shaped the same and the same engines. NASCAR tried V-6's back in the 80's in several of their touring series but the cost was prohibitive and the engines where short lived because of the configurations and technology used then. What NASCAR will do in the future,,,they will do what it takes to stay popular. If it comes to V-6's ....then it will. I don't think you will see turbos for a long time. Too much power and cost. But one things wills always stay the same in the auto industry and NASCAR...and that is change.

Can we pull an Airstream down the road in 2020? Thats a long way to go with a short time to get there. Who knows what time will bring. Some industries will survives and some won't. Will we become a regional country will little travel because of fuel prices like Europe? I don't think so but We will probably see a smaller percentage of the people travel with Big Motor homes and, yes Maybe less or NO Airstreams...God forbid. My solution is,,,enjoy what I can while I can with an eye on the future and the hiway in my rear view mirrow. HERE COME THE HYDRO TRUCKS??????????
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Possibly not. I believe it has more to do with technology. Better designs, improved hardware, electronic controls, synthetic lubrication, and tighter specs, etc.

For example... Back in the 70's I had a mint 69 427ci Corvette (390 HP).

Our current 215ci V6 sport sedan, "grocery getter", will out handle, out stop, and "almost" out accelerate the big block vette. Note: The vette is only a couple 10ths quicker in the 1/4.
I see where you are going with this but I'm not sure I totally agree. Technology can only take you so far with what you have. DFord hit it right on, the Big 3 see that they need to totally revamp from the ground up, not just do what they did way back when. You have to start with a solid foundation that lets the technology amplify. Moreover, I think most of here are talking towing, not 0 to 60, etc.

To compare, a Subaru WRX is high tech, fast, can corner and do many things well, even better than my modified Impala SS (1996) but I doubt seriously that a WRX is up to the task of pulling around a 25' or larger trailer...for that matter, neither would the Corvette because there is just so much more than engine to worry about when you get into heavier loads. Transmission, brakes, frames, axles, gears, etc are just some of the additional things to consider.

I can clearly see how well you are doing with your V6 in your current situation, and as a rabbid car nut, I can also share exp with the mods you do to make it do what it does...been there and done that as most here can tell you.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
But see, if the auto industry changes, so too must the RV industry. Airstream had it right (in weight) oh so many years ago... but then the consumer's wants were less then too... less big televisions, less animeties, etc.

The Safari sports are a step in the right direction. I think a good cross between a Euro AS and some American desires can be had for little engineering.

I'd love to have a crystal ball!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Who needs a V8?

I guess most of you are too young to remember the GMC 305 cid (5.0L) V6. Idled rough, but it wouldn't stop pulling.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I can clearly see how well you are doing with your V6 in your current situation, and as a rabbid car nut, I can also share exp with the mods you do to make it do what it does...been there and done that as most here can tell you.
No mods required here except for custom receiver.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #18
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Is this going to make my 4 duece small block manifold worthless?
I'll miss the excitement of engine compartment fires.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Not only am I old enough to remember the 305 V-8 but I am old enough to remember a rather awkward sounding V-6 in GMC trucks wayyyyy back in the early 60's. Problem with the motor....it used more fuel under load than the 283 or 327. Short lived V-6. My uncle had one being the Diehard GM guy he was. He only had it for a short time and traded it for a 3/4 ton with a V-8. He admited years later it was a gas hog with less power than the V-8.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Doorgunner....you are a diehard chevy guy...Them Quadrajet fires are lengendary. I lost a 2 ton Gimmy to one..burned to the ground along a freeway loaded with 10 tons of hot off the press newspapers...god..I loved the old days..lol