Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Credit Card Hack-Advisory

Long story shortened:

Yesterday at 5:11PM my wife received an email from Chase Credit Card Services Fraud department stating a $25.00 charge had been declined that we should call a number given. I called the number on the back of our card. Our card was put, but us, on a 48 hour hold due to something entirely different and only released from the hold 6 hours prior. The email further stated that the charge had been posted as an internet purchase at 5:33PM yesterday.

My conversation was a long one, but the gist is this. Hackers have now programmed computers to randomly select 16 digits, then once it finds that a valid card randomly pick an expiration month and year and then randomly select a three digit security code. All of this in the blink of an eye, or less.

Chase rejected the charge due to an incorrect expiration date, the computer had correctly guessed at the three digit code. All of this was explained to me by the Chase fraud person. She suggested that since they had the card number and knew it was an active card that we destroy the card and they would send us a new one. She further told me that most people do not bother calling for a $25.00 charge even though they have been asked to do so. I have also placed the card on a permanent hold for any internet purchase. The security person further recommended that we buy on line only through PayPal, of course using the Chase card. We usually do in fact.

We watch every account we have, credit cards, banks and brokerage every day so we catch any fraud within a day. We do so when at home and when on the road. But this time Chase caught it within 22 minutes with an alert to us. And the attempted internet purchase was made from El Salvador.

As an aside this is the third fraudulent attempt for us with a Visa card, knock on wood never with the AmEx. Not sure why, but curious.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Since this happens thousands of times every day why is it relevant to Air Forums?
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
It's relevant because real people participate in this forum. This IS the "Off Topic" section, isn't it?

I am no way associated with Citibank other than this: of the few cards we have, one is a Citibank MasterCard. I keep that one to use exclusively for internet purchases, because they have what is called a Virtual Account Number feature where you can generate a one-time-use Virtual Account Number to use. In the background, it is tied to your main account, so the charges show up there. When you generate the Virtual Account Number, you can put a dollar limit on the transaction and/or a time limit.

It's a good, handy feature.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I have my Chase Visa and Amex cards set to send me a text every time there is a charge over $5.00. I usually get the text within seconds of someone running my card. So far, no fraudulent charges.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I have my Chase Visa and Amex cards set to send me a text every time there is a charge over $5.00. I usually get the text within seconds of someone running my card. So far, no fraudulent charges.
My Amex card sends me an email for all Card not present transactions.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Since this happens thousands of times every day why is it relevant to Air Forums?

Because its in the OFF TOPIC section which is where anything not associated with Airstreams or camping can and should be posted
Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Just as an FYI - Bank of America Visa credit card also has a similar feature. It's called ShopSafe. I use it quite often (when I remember to use it, that is).

Coincidentally, I've been contacted twice in the last two weeks about similar fraudulent attempts (different cards). Fortunately, the company declined the transactions before they contacted us because they deemed it "suspicious activity".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
It's relevant because real people participate in this forum. This IS the "Off Topic" section, isn't it?

I am no way associated with Citibank other than this: of the few cards we have, one is a Citibank MasterCard. I keep that one to use exclusively for internet purchases, because they have what is called a Virtual Account Number feature where you can generate a one-time-use Virtual Account Number to use. In the background, it is tied to your main account, so the charges show up there. When you generate the Virtual Account Number, you can put a dollar limit on the transaction and/or a time limit.

It's a good, handy feature.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
There is a very current fraud scheme going on now:

You receive a call from a major CC company and your caller I'd will say it comes from there ie: Visa. The callet is very professional, articulate and has a well rehearsed script. They tell you the call is recorded for quality service. They address you by name, advise you of a flagged charge, ask if you made the purchase, tell you they are canceling your card, sending you a new card, they recite your accurate address, and give you a fraud case number.

At the very end of this very convincing conversation they confirm with you that you are still in possession of your card and ask you to confirm the last 3 digits on the back.

That was the only piece of information they were looking for and the only piece of information they needed go complete the puzzle.

IF you are caught off guard and gave them the 3 number security code on back then you quickly have a questionable charge on your card.

Always trying to stay 1 step ahead of the bad guys is a full time job. I appreciate the sharing of info.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post

Thanks and to BoldAdventures, just set up AmEx per your posts. Appreciate the posts.

Bud
Old 04-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post

You receive a call from a major CC company and your caller I'd will say it comes from there ie: Visa. The callet is very professional, articulate and has a well rehearsed script. They tell you the call is recorded for quality service. They address you by name, advise you of a flagged charge, ask if you made the purchase, tell you they are canceling your card, sending you a new card, they recite your accurate address, and give you a fraud case number.

At the very end of this very convincing conversation they confirm with you that you are still in possession of your card and ask you to confirm the last 3 digits on the back.

That was the only piece of information they were looking for and the only piece of information they needed go complete the puzzle.

IF you are caught off guard and gave them the 3 number security code on back then you quickly have a questionable charge on your card.

Always trying to stay 1 step ahead of the bad guys is a full time job. I appreciate the sharing of info.
The Chase Fraud person told me also that there are millions of said numbers now compromised by this scheme.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post

On at least one occasion in the past I've received a legitimate inbound call like that to warn me of questionable activity on my account. I politely informed them that I didn't discuss such things on inbound calls and asked how to reach them via the toll-free # on my card. The rep said while they couldn't be reached specifically, I could just ask for the fraud department and anyone could help me, and they understood why I didn't trust inbound calls asking about financial matters.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote