Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs S
Well going through my emails this morning ( Vietnam time 05:40 hrs ) and I've just finished replying to two different peoples questions about my classified ad.

Q: Does this trailer have washer/dryer hook ups? If so, where are they located?

I knew I forgot to add something in my remodel! Now where could I possibly squeeze those in? Hmmmm!

Q: Is it possible to tow a 22 ft bass boat off the bumper of that trailer?

Sure, get after it buddy!

FYI: I did not answer their questions that way, those were only what I was thinking to myself.
I answered respectively to each of their questions.
After reading my post I thought I should add that in some everyone doesn't think I was rude to them
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs S View Post
FYI: I did not answer their questions that way, those were only what I was thinking to myself.
After reading my post I thought I should add that in some everyone doesn't think I was rude to them

You're better than I am. I'd be tempted to play along with them for a while just for the fun of it.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon

You're better than I am. I'd be tempted to play along with them for a while just for the fun of it.
Lol I save the playing around for the people that tell me ( in broken English ) that they are far away and wanting to buy this as a surprise for their father, they are ok with the condition and price of the Excella, all they need is my Paypal info or address where they can send the money order to....then they will arrange for their agent to pick up the Excella......
I play with them for awhile and I give them my local sheriffs office phone number & address and tell them this is where the agent needs to pick up the trailer.

Funny thing, they never seem to email me back after that......?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #44

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
I would bet a mortgage payment that no one who's ever met you thought you actually responded that way.

*I* would be sorely tempted, but would probably decide not to smart off if it seemed like they might be willing to write a check... at least to the truck-boat-truck type who wanted to hitch the boat on behind. I'd have to guess that the ones looking for washer/dryer connections aren't going to feel like writing checks until they get into a 5th-wheel with a washing machine and a wet bar.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #45
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have had experiences good and bad both buying and selling.

The biggest time wasters in my experience are buyers who have nothing to do and who see going around and making lowball offers as, essentially, a form of entertainment to pass the time. I had one guy fiddle around and look at a utility trailer I was selling for half an hour before making a lowball offer and leaving.

Bottom line is that sales is hard work as is purchasing from private parties. Some people are clearly not serious but there are many people who will never complete a deal on either the buying or selling side who appear earnest at first.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
PPL sold our class-B for us last month; it doesn't get any easier.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Hmmm seems as if someone felt the need today to give me some schoolin on the selling practices on my Airstream.

The gentleman's lesson is as follows:

"just making a point. if you have a 10 year old car and the book value is $2000 it does not matter if you have a new paint job, new engine and new tires, the book value is still $2000. i'm sure that the trailer is nice and there is a fool born everyday!
good luck,"

I had to ponder for a very long time before I replied to him. I was very nice in my reply, while breaking the #2 pencil that was between my teeth whilst I typed.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
What a nice "lesson".. As a negotiation instructor and contracts manager, I have enjoyed the thread.. Much of the advice is good.. I've had good luck as a seller, but had to filter out a lot of junk as well. I considered it part of the "bargain" around getting essentially a free world-wide photo advertisement. Because there are so many CL Search Tools, you have to assume a LOT of people will see the ad, and whenever you have a LOT of people, you are going to have a share of thieves, idiots, jerks and bozo's... Patience, a sense of humor, and some of the steps noted above will weed out most, and somewhere a sincere buyer may be happy to find you..

One valuable tip for sellers is to find a way to create a sense of pressure or competition in mind of a buyer.. Declining a lower offer by declaring "someone else is coming by tomorrow to see it.." will often nudge a buyer to make a decision.. I do agree there is no need to be polite to jerks or scammers, and I generally just hang up or let e-mail conversation drop... It is also valuable to know what else is out there for sale to respond to folks who think they can buy a nicer one for half your price.. Makes it easier to say "Go ahead, and I wish you well.."

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Don't blame you for being mad. There's nothing better than being lectured by someone like that. Did they happen to have a conversation with you about trying to secure a loan for the trailer before they sent that to you, or was the lecture just out of the blue?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Don't blame you for being mad. There's nothing better than being lectured by someone like that. Did they happen to have a conversation with you about trying to secure a loan for the trailer before they sent that to you, or was the lecture just out of the blue?
This lecture was just out of the blue! Complete blind side!

I did have a pleasant conversation by phone with a gentleman today about the trailer, he's looking to buy a Airstream for his family. Sure was nice to be able talk have a serious talk about the trailer with someone.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
This lecture was just out of the blue! Complete blind side!

I did have a pleasant conversation by phone with a gentleman today about the trailer, he's looking to buy a Airstream for his family. Sure was nice to be able talk have a serious talk about the trailer with someone.

I just love how people are bold enough to say those things to you via email but probably would never do it to you in person.

Congrats on the potential serious buyer. Keeping fingers crossed for you.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:

I just love how people are bold enough to say those things to you via email but probably would never do it to you in person.

Congrats on the potential serious buyer. Keeping fingers crossed for you.
Thanks I appreciate that, if or when it ever does sell it will be a bitter/sweet deal.

Bitter as seeing it leave hooked to another TV that doesn't belong to me. You create a bond between man and trailer when you put so much effort into one.

Sweet Will be when we take ownership of another Airstream.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #53

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Hmmm seems as if someone felt the need today to give me some schoolin on the selling practices on my Airstream.

"just making a point. if you have a 10 year old car and the book value is $2000 it does not matter if you have a new paint job, new engine and new tires, the book value is still $2000. i'm sure that the trailer is nice and there is a fool born everyday!
good luck,"

I had to ponder for a very long time before I replied to him. I was very nice in my reply, while breaking the #2 pencil that was between my teeth whilst I typed.
If he's totally focused on the book value, he a) knows little about older Airstreams, b) is looking for stuff to flip as an "investment", c) has to borrow money to buy anything over $2k, d) some combination of the conditions above, possibly all of them.

Shortly after I bought our Argosy, I saw a listing on AIRForums Classifieds that was described (and priced!) as a premium used trailer, but without much detail to the description... late '80s or early '90s. The pictures, however, were just awful. I felt compelled to offer advice about it, which wasn't well-received. I pointed out (via private message, so no one else could see what I thought about the pictures) first off that I wasn't in the market and wasn't trying to talk him into a lower price, but that the photos didn't square with the price and he should try posting better pictures, because the pictures looked like a trailer that was worth $X. Maybe he thought I was trying to play some mind game about the price instead of trying to get him to take decent pictures, but he was clear about the fact that that he didn't appreciate the advice!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The biggest time wasters in my experience are buyers who have nothing to do and who see going around and making lowball offers as, essentially, a form of entertainment to pass the time. I had one guy fiddle around and look at a utility trailer I was selling for half an hour before making a lowball offer and leaving.
Years ago, prior to the internet and CL, I placed an ad for an Airstream I was selling in the local paper. I got a call from some nice folks and they wanted to see it Saturday morning. We set a time but I really didn't want to be there on Saturday as I wanted to go to my summer property to do some work. But, if the trailer sold, the lost weekend would be worth it.

They did show up, and were very pleasant to talk with. I spent considerable time showing the features of the trailer, probably close to an hour. At the end, I sat down with them and asked if they were interested (I had given them the price at the outset). They replied "oh, we are not interested in buying it. We had never been in an Airstream and wanted to see what they looked like"

I was absolutely flabbergasted. They had taken all the time to set up and look and all my time with absolutely no intention to buy anything. Just window shopping. At that point I wanted to throw them under a buss, but was polite and got them out and away.

So, Craigs List and other venues only add still another dimension to the amazing people we call "buyers".
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #55
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
wow!

Quote:

good luck,"
wow!

though generally attributed to Mark Twain - "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I’ve always like the variation that goes something like

“you can’t argue with idiots.

first, they bring you down to their own level, and then

they beat you with their experience… “

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
You know, initially I started this thread to blow off steam due to the volume of "low-ball" buyers and scam artist.
But as it turns out it may prove to be a thread for general knowledge for sellers to use to know what to expect when selling, how to avoid scams, how to stay patient/calm, and some great advice as far as tactics and strategies for selling.
Huh! Never thought it would have turned into that.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:

good luck,"

Wow, if that is true...somebody WAAAAYYYY overpaid for this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...ion-83649.html

I mean, a '54 should only book out
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
at just under $20k (restored), oh, wait...restored doesnt affect the price, right?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote