Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Aubrey , Texas
Class A to Airstream

Has anyone gone from a class a/c to an airstream? If so you thoughts please
stujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Stujan,

I just went from a 30 ft. Class A to a 16' Airstream Bambi. Please note that my comments about the Bambi are coming from a newbie perspective.

Class A Pros: LOVE the space and storage. Wow! You have the generator as part of the entire package so don't need to worry about power separately. Water and waste tanks are copious so that even though you check on them, they aren't part of your camping plan.

Class A Cons: You carry everything, including stuff you may never use and it all travels with you. Fuel Mileage is dismal. HATED driving it. It was huge, unstable and I never felt comfortable. I felt like I was going to be in an accident every single time I drove it (note this could be the model or the driver, but the #1 reason I got rid of it). Engine Maintenance - I prefer my tow vehicle to be separate vehicle. I couldn't pick up and go 5 miles down the road to see the sites. Sure I could have towed another vehicle, but now I am towing TWO engine vehicles.

Airstream Pros: 2 separate vehicles and I can switch to different tow vehicles based upon my needs (I have a truck and a Porsche Macan I move between). Pick up and go as it is easier for me to plan with the Airstream, size and things I want to see. Ability to see the sites without carrying a toad. Love the design but that is a preference for the Airstream. Towability is so amazingly easy. I towed 5 hours and while I was careful it was so easy to tow. Fuel mileage is double the Class A.

Airstream Cons: Water maintenance is always a concern. You have to take the time to unhook and re-hook at camp. Cost of the Airstream can be more expensive. Generator is separate purchase and consideration for hooking it up and fueling. Storage space is 'tight" and that is being nice.

Those are the thoughts off the top of my head.

MsTara
Old 12-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2007 28' International CCD
1999 34' Limited
2009 22' Interstate
Woodbury , Minnesota
We just sold our 45 Holiday Rambler Class A. After a career of owning 4 Clas A's and also four Airstreams we decided to abandon RVing. The problem was that my wife liked Class A and I liked AS. We sold our 45 footer and we were out of RVing. However, when the cold weather hit we started thinking about going south. I suggested that we go out to our local AS dealer, not to buy, but to look. Fortunately, she went aboard the 2017 30 ft Classic. After less than 15 minutes she asked if we could get one. Done deal! No way I would do a Class A again, but the new 30 Classic has the interior quality and features of a Class A, but yet was an AS that I wanted. We are proud owners.
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I have the best....and worse of both worlds. A Classic 310 turbo diesel motorhome. Not too expensive to work on (parts cost wise) but did require an exstensive renovation to please the better half.

One of the very few Class A motorhomes that appreciate in value.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have had many RVs in the past 45 years. Among them four Airstreams. We went from a 30' Flying Cloud to a 38' Class A. Took one trip cross country in the A and sold it then secured another 30' Flying Cloud and now have a 2017 Classic Airstream.

We believe this Airstream is our last RV. We will keep it until we cannot RV anymore.

Good Luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote