Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Chain saws

After many years of use my chain saw died and need to replace it. I thought of going with electric but did not want to be tethered to a cord so I was wondering what chain saws you all would recommend. It would be used for cutting fire wood and trimming small trees.

Thanks

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Stihl !
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I love my Stihl.
I have owned Homelites and was a Homelite dealer for awhile.
I thought they were a great saw until I got a Stihl and found out what a really great chainsaw is like.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
No doubt Stihl. I got a used one locally, a smaller model. The thing about them is no matter what size you buy the engine is seriously built for durability and power. The bigger models will cut thru a huge tree like buttah.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
A new Stihl is like a sewing machine - almost feels electric its so smooth.

I've got a $90 thirteen-year-old McCulloch 'mini-mac' that does everything I need - and weeps chain lube, is picky over stale fuel and shrouds the user in a cloud of smoke and unburned gas fumes. Chainsaws have improved a bunch since then, as long as you change the bar and the drive sprocket out regularly most any modern saw will do light chores for a long time.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would recommend a money hungry 16 year old youth.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
There are not many money hungry 16 yr old youths. Last year could not find any children in the neighborhood to even shovel snow.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I posted this same question on another forum a couple of years ago, Stihl was the strongest recommendation. I bought one and havn't regretted it,

It is an amazing tool, many sizes available.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kimmell , Indiana
I had an Echo 452 VL for 25 years until it got stolen..Great saw trouble free. I bought a Stihl to replace it (just wanted to try something different) . I havent used the Stihl much yet but I am pleased so far.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Stihl is a good saw, no doubt, but is it the best? Hard to say. Coming from a logging community in Idaho, the Husky has been the long term champ in our woods. A few years ago Stihl had a big clutch seal problem that burned engines; may have fixed that issue by now. Loggers claim alot less down time with Huskys. Another really good saw that I have used for almost 10 years is a Shindawa. I embarrass alot of European saws the same size.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Stihl is good and a safe pick. Others are good. After many years of gas chainsaws I actually like my electric better now for my use (trimming and cutting up blocks for wood turning). Generator will run a electric chain saw and the overall combination will be quieter than a gas saw. I know this sounds "unmanly". but that is the way it is. And I used to run a huge Stihl motor with a 60" bar and 2 handles on an Alaskan mill. As good as Stihl is, I suspect their consumer grade saws are not made as well as their professional saws. I have to buy a new electric saw every couple of years. But at $100 a pop it is not much of an expense. Pappy 19 has good advise. But he is comparing professional saws.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Finally a question I feel confident to answer!

STIHL!

I've had 3 (one wandered off). My oldest saw was left unused in the case for 8 years. One day, I got it out, put gas in the dried out tank, put oil in the oiler tank and let it sit for a couple of hours. I figured it was futile to try to start it. To my surprise, it started after a few pulls and then would idle!

I think I have 16 inch bars. Plenty long enough for 95% of jobs.
Buy good chains. They make diff chains for "homeowners" and pros. Something about the raker teeth I think. You want the pro ones. It cuts more aggressive.

I also have a 12 volt sharper. Inexpensive, and makes it easy to sharpen chain.

Bob
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Have both electric and gas.
Most important is the chain.
Don't buy the type chains that come pre-packaged... get it from a shop that has chain on a roll.
They will cut to fit your saw.
10 times better than the original chain.
More teeth per inch, and more agressive.

My electric is 4 hp, it is not silent as you think, but less than a gas for sure.
My gas are whatever is on sell... currently a green and purple saw, 16" bar, but cannot remember name. (not Stihl)
Runs great, but I am not a logger, and don't cut wood to sell... just around the homestead is all I need it for.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Stihl

Bought our Stihl after Hurricane Gloria in 1986. Lost count of how many cord's it's cut since. I've never loaned a tool more than this and it is still running well. Unfortunately, we had a lot of exercise with it again this year after Irene.

Great saw.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
stihl period!
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I heartily recommend Stihls. Currrently have two, and they are workhorses. BUT be sure you get one commensurate with your proposed use. They have three different chain widths - think Baby Bear, Mama Bear, and Papa Bear, and the larger the chain, the larger the engine required to drive it, and thus the heavier the saw ... but the faster it cuts. The smaller ones are terrific for occcasional use, small clean up and trimming and pruning jobs (and they have special arborist saws for use up IN trees), while the larger ones are better for felling and sectioning large trees. Go to a large Stihl shop and tell them truthfully what you want to do with it and they'll recommend one in the right power, size, and weight range. Also note that some of their mid-range saws are their best sellers (such as a Farm Boss), and consequently are priced lower than either larger or smaller saws, just due to volume of production.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Stihl is a very good saw. I think you will be happy with one.

I spent 5 years down in Oregon in a small logging community. The professional fallers there were partial to Husqvarna (Huskies). They are better when it comes to heavy use over long periods of time. At least that is what they told me.

I have one and used it cut the wood to heat my house for about 22 years. Never a problem with it. My brother has a very nice Stihl and it is also a great saw. He uses it heavily, at least heavily for a homeowner who cuts maybe 7 cords each year. You can find Stihls all over the place. I am not sure about the cost differences but you can't go wrong with either.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Having worked on most every brand. I highly recommend STIHL for thier longeveity and dependablity. They are easy to work on and easy to get parts for. I would recommend you NOT BUY from the BIG BOX STORES. Buy from your local dealer. HE will be resposible for any warranty.You and he(your local dealer) will feel better about servicing something bought from HIM. BIG BoX stores dont care,they are just there to sell product.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
For a variety of reasons, including maintenance, fuel hassles, safety, etc., I’ve tossed the chainsaw, and can now do all of my fairly extensive limb trimming with my corded Milwaukee Sawzall. It handles all of my chores beautifully, including cutting roots for tree removal. Unlike a chainsaw, it doesn’t mind when I shove the blade in dirt to cut a tree root too large to cut with pruners or loppers. It’s just a matter of using the right blade. I usually use Skil’s “The Ugly” (“Wood/Pruner”). They’re fairly inexpensive, and when they dull, just toss them. It’ll even tackle small trees and firewood. If you don’t like the corded option, check out the inexpensive battery-powered reciprocating saws at Harbor Freight. Armed with the right blade, they should safely handle your light yard work, and your campfire needs in the wilds, though it won’t tackle a 50-foot tree.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Stihl for sure.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote