Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Cell phones while driving

Within the last 18 hours, I have escaped major accidents by a hair. In each case, the other party was talking on a cell phone while driving.

I live in the "Texas Hill Country" southwest of Austin, in an area of small but sharp hills. Last evening, I was cresting a hill on the way home with the setting sun in my eyes when a car pulled out in front of me. I was half blinded and saw the car first because it briefly blocked the sun and I missed the rear end of that car by inches by hitting the ditch. A neighbor following me told me that it was a young woman talking on a cell phone.

An hour ago, I was cresting another hill in our development. I was safely under the limit of 30 because I was about to turn a sharp uphill left into my street. A black Camry driven by a young woman talking on a phone crested the blind hill on the wrong side of the road going at least 50. I hit the ditch, thankfully fairly flat and broad at that point. Rocks flew, but as far as I can see I had no damage. She never made any evasive move that I could see. She finally stopped at least 100 yards down the hill, backed up part way, got out, and began wailing "I'm sorry, I'm sorry". I didn't say what I was thinking, but my hands are still shaking. In nearly 60 years of driving, that was the closest I have ever came to a head-on collision.

It's time to outlaw phones while driving in Texas as other states are doing.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
john

since i spend about 1/2 of my time at work in road right of way, i cannot disagree!

the only thing worse than speeding through a work zone on the highway is talking on the phone while doing it!

hang up and just drive!

john
Old 09-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm with you there! And I hate to admit it, but it seems all the close calls I've had lately were young girls with phones stuck to their ears, usually because they were drifting over the centerline and not paying attention. Very Scary! Boys seem to be more guilty of aggerssive driving, driving faster than their skill levels merit, but girls definitly seem to be more distracted in the car. Since I drive a Miata, I am VERY aware of what is going on around me at all times.

But I'm sure we're preaching to the choir here. Most folks who get to the point of dragging a few tons of trailer around behind them have already learned to be pretty cautious!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Cell phone users are more dangerous then drunk drivers acording to a test performed by the mythbusters with the California Hwy Patrol. I have a cell phone (who doesn't) but I do not use it when driving. If my company caught me on the phone behind the wheel, it would not be good. This sign has been modified for use on the forum....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cell.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	26429  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
phone

i got nailed in the rear this past spring, while i was turning into my driveway.
the teen gal got out of her car with a cell phone in her hand ???
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Angry Don't get me started!

Marie (sd90mac here) was iinvolved in an accident where she was at a red light, and was rear-ended by a woman on a cell phone. The woman continued talking on the cell phone while 911 was called, the police and fire department arrived, and while tickets were dispensed. SHE NEVER STOPPED TALKING ON THE CELLL PHONE LONG ENOUGH TO SIGN HER TICKET!!!!! She tucked the cell phone under her ear, still talking, signed, made a rude comment to the deputy, got back in her SUV, and drove away, STILL TALKING on her cell phone!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Totally Agree

This is one of the best topics, I don't have a cell phone and I don't want one. We live in a college town and I can't count how many times I've had near misses every college student you see driving has to have the phone up to there ear and more interested in the conversation on the phone then there driving. Our society has turned into cell phones we went to an out door concert last night and I couldn't enjoy myself for people talking on there cell phones (give us all a break and turn them off!)
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Text messaging too!

If I would return my Airstream to storage on Monday morning, there's an oncoming lane of rush hour traffic I have to cross to go the other direction. It pays to get out before 7:15AM! One recent day a nattily dressed businessman was in that stream of traffic smiling, looking down at one of these wide text devices -- while having to control the buttons with both hands, steering with his wrists, only using his peripheral vision to drive his car...

Courtesy of Car Talk, print one of these off: http://www.cartalk.com/content/timek...-cellphone.gif Do not hesitate to use!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
while driving into Spokane yesterday on 395(The Highway of Death as it's affectionately called around these parts), I couldn't believe this double trailer Wal-Mart semi slowly drifting across the yellow line towards ME!! As I started to move over onto the shoulder, the driver swerved back into his own lane. I never saw a big rig move that fast! He was not only on the phone, but reading some stuff on his right side, never checking the road.
I guess we all have our moments, but my time ain't up yet!!!!
Cheers, Jeff
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have a cell phone for 2 reasons:
  • In case of breakdown whileon the road.
  • I use it for long distance since I cancelled my home long distance. Since I have it anyway, my one or two monthly calls help use up the minutes I would lose otherwise.
I never have it turned on while in the car or truck. Someone can leave me a message, but I will never answer it or make a call while driving.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Excellent comments here! We have cell phones and use them often, but only when there are two of us in the car... the one NOT driving makes the calls. If we get a call we can usually pull off the road and answer or return the call right away...

We live on a street that goes to our local high school... our neighbors have had their cars hit 3 times while parked out front because someone ran into them.... distracted by their phones...

If only parents would teach their kids a little more safety!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hauled many of them to the hospital. Had a 20 year old 2 weeks ago was talking on her cell and tried to dodge a squirrel at 60 MPH on a 2 lane rd. Minor injuries (stitches) but rolling her car was an expensive lesson. Calif. just passed a law here that you can't use a cell phone without a hands-free device.
Another thing I've noticed on this subject is the inclination people have when on their phone, to stay in the fast lane at about 60 MPH in a 65 MPH zone.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:14 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
Overhere and in most other european country's it's ilegal to use a cellphone while driving without a handsfree kit.
fine is about 350 usd
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:33 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
Handsfree does'nt matter. It's still distraction, whether taking dictation eating a donut,or simply daydreaming. Driving well is a fulltime job which takes a lot of situational awareness, especially with the all of the diverse drivers out there who think driving is a right instead of a privledge.
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:14 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I, too, was rear-ended by a young man on a cell phone. I clearly remember looking in the rear view mirror and seeing him on the phone right before impact. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the damage was minimal.

I agree with Capt Mark. It's the distraction, not the holding of the telephone instrument, that causes the problem. I am making it a practice to pull off the road when making a call, and not taking cell phone calls while driving.

I don't think that a law banning hand-held cell phone use while driving will have much impact as almost all new cell phones have hands free capabilities.

In addition, people don't pay much attention to laws like that. The day before yesterday while traveling with the Airstream, we crossed the state line into Connecticut and noticed a sign stating that hand held cell phone use while driving was prohibited statewide. Not more than a minute later, we were passed by a Connecticut State Trooper and noticed that she was talking on a hand held cell phone. Go figure!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Ft. Myers , Florida
Cell phones come with voice mail for a reason. I usually keep mine on vibrate it's less urgent sounding. Also you can make the phone go directly to voice mail, it lets the caller know you're out of range or have the phone shut off. You can also get creative with the ring tones by assigning a different ring to an important number. Sort of like the red crisis phone in the movies. Slowing down life in the fast lane --Mark--
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Old 10-01-2006, 07:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Ft. Myers , Florida
I agree with Moosetags about cell phone laws, if you can't get people to wear seatbelts, forget about enforcing cell phones. The laws all drivers should pay attention to apply to tonnage and physics.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Pro's and Con's

I have a problem with this thread, I agree that most people have no business talking on a phone while driving. However, do we really need Govt. to control one more aspect of our life? I have been a Pilot for over 30 years and talked on a radio and flown at the same time. Usually while closest to the ground and closest to a lot of planes. Also the conversation requires more thought and effort than (so what did you do last night?)
As Drivers we all have a responsibility to pay attention to our driving and avoid activities that distract us. What about eating, putting on make up, playing with radios and nav aids? I've even seen people reading romance novels while driving. Several years ago I had a friend that looked down to put his shoe on and ran head on into a truck. It was only 25 mph but it cost him his life.
If someone's driving is impaired by these activities they should be pulled over and given a ticket. I do not think that the phone is the problem. It is the individual that is not acting responsibly. Walking and Chewing gum at the same time is a skill.
Steve
firefly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Ft. Myers , Florida
I also have a problem with the Govt. trying to control common sense, seems like an oxymoron to me. The recreational boater has become just as bad, and I imagine to a lesser degree the aircraft industry as well. It just seems like with all of this disposable income out there people are buying all these toys with no regard to the history or safe operation of them. --mark--

Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I don't think the government should protect us from ourselves. If someone wants to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, fine. But I want to be protected from the driver who is too busy on the phone to know I am stopped in front of him. Many people think they can drive just as well with a phone as they do with out. Some people think that they will be just fine behind the wheel after the down a six pack as well. Talking on the phone takes away from one ability to drive safely. True, it does effect some less then others, but so does that six pack. The mythbusters show did a test of several drivers on a closed course operated bt the Calfornia Hwy Patrol. While talking on the phone (hands free) they could not safely navigate their car. They did the same test after they had enough to drink to be DUI. They failed that test also, but did better then they did on the phone. Who are these people talking to anyway?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote