Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Camping World

We read somewhere - I think in the literature on the rally at Sarasota - that Camping World has become an Airstream dealer? Is that true? Anyone know the scoop? Maybe it's just a particular CW in Florida?

I've noticed some on here don't think much of CW, but I also notice a lot of supplies, parts, etc., are cheaper than they are at some independent RV dealerships. Someone said CW is the "Walmart" of the RV world. If that's true....We've got no problem buying stuff cheaper if we can get it. We DO have a problem letting people who don't know anything about what they are doing work on Esmerelda. Only took us two weeks to get that lesson.

Hope someone can fill us in on the CW /Airstream thing. Would that mean their people would be taught by AS how to work on AS? I know at Lane's new dealership in Springfield, MO yaay! (where we plan to do as much business as we can) AS has sent techs in from the mother ship to train his techs.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
CW inNorth Ga.

I can't answer your question but there are two Camping World close to the house about 30miles. One is a Airstream Dealer and one not. The one use to be but not now. Seems to me it will be an individual discussion.
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The Camping World in North Little Rock is not an Airstream dealer. They are, however a nice bunch of people. I bought a new refrigerator there a couple of years ago and they price matched the lowest price I found online. That was with the "Club" membership, but that was a small charge that made a large difference in price with the match.

That's for buying parts. I wouldn't take my Airstream there for service. Then again, I can't see myself taking it anywhere for service.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Lawchick,
The folks at CW are afraid of AS's because of all the mice and snake problems.Big sale on rubber, bumper snake decoys this week!
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
After waiting 3 hours after our "appointment" at the CW in Fife, WA, I wandered (snuck) back in the shop to see what the hold-up was. The "tech" was having problems with the wiring of a mo/ho, I asked him what the problem was, as I have a electrical background. He said it was something in the "DC Circuit" and could not figure it out. The coach was un- plugged and I noticed his Fluke meter (same as mine) was set on "AC". We bailed.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This started with Thor's "bailout" of CW a couple of years ago. Many Camping Worlds became service centers for Thor brands, including Airstreams. If there happens to be an Airstream dealer nearby, CW will happily refer service work to them. The one across the Interstate from where I work will even call us to set appointments, and give detailed directions on how to find us.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Hmmmm, doesn't sound like they're "really" AS dealers at all, then.

I'm never going to hear the end of the "Can Snakes Get In?" thread, am I? LOL

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, sometimes Camping World is more convenient, but never cheaper. So I don't know how anyone could refer to them as being like a Wal-Mart. I buy very little from them so I stopped renewing my President's Club membership.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Cheaper is not always better. CW is a fine example of that. CW and your local place buy from the same wholesaler. It is all the same cheaply made low quality stuff sold by both, the difference is volume.
I find marine equipment to be a far better value for the money. For some reason boat owners will not stand for cheaply made plastic stuff.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Cheaper is not always better. CW is a fine example of that. CW and your local place buy from the same wholesaler. It is all the same cheaply made low quality stuff sold by both, the difference is volume.
I find marine equipment to be a far better value for the money. For some reason boat owners will not stand for cheaply made plastic stuff.
Hi Frank;
It is so because, we know what it takes to stand up to our environment. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
It is so because, we know what it takes to stand up to our environment.
And we know the consequences if a part fails in the middle of the ocean.

BTW, welcome back to the land of the living.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Some years back , it appears camping world started setting up franchises with already established RV dealers. They used to have only their own stores.

I suspect what RV's the dealer sells has nothing to do with the CW side of the business which is often in a seperate building.

I have never hired service anywhere so can't judge that,.I am not a big fan of the stores either, their pricing became much higher as the chain grew in recent years.
Often they are still the only well stocked place around and you pretty well know what they have.

I don't think we will go back to $5.00 installation and 10 cent camping at the park adjoining the original Bowling Green Store
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote