Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Brainwashing new cultmembers

As with any good cult, recruiting and successfully brainwashing new members is a priority.

Our non-camping friends who decided to join us on one camping trip now go with us every chance they get. We even talked them into joining us on our end of Nov, beginning of Dec Kentucky adventure - impressive dedication from the camping converts! (patting self on back for successfully "showing them the light.") So here's my dillemma. When they decided to purchase a camper, the only piece of advice I had to offer them was "whatever you do, don't buy a pop-up." Now, 6 months later, they're ready to trade in the pop-up (that'll teach 'em for not listening to me!) and buy a hardside.

Of course, casually I suggest an Airstream. You think that they would have learned from the whole pop-up fiasco that I know everything. Not so.....he tells me he's not interested in the hype - would prefer to buy something simpler, cheaper, and fully functional (the older, more affordable models have bugs to work out). *gasp* (why didn't I learn last time - use reverse psychology?! Should have said, "whatever you do, DON'T BUY AN AIRSTREAM!") So it goes.....

Okay, I need all the help I can get, fellow cultmembers. This is my first chance at recruiting new members and I don't want them to get away. How do I brainwash and FORCE them to get an Airstream. Physical violence, torture, starvation, and sleep depravation are certainly options. I was hoping to take them willingly - but I think I'm already past that point. We're going to need to break them down.

Help would be appreciated ASAP.
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
Kool Aid for the masses

Well, I hear you're good at hypnotizing chickens....
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
There is only one sure way and that would be to buy it for them.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotLAVA
...How do I brainwash and FORCE them to get an Airstream. ...
Your most effective tool is...REASON. Give them all the beneficial statistics about the high percentage of Airstreams still on the road, resale value, enduring legacy, etc... Oh, and how Airstreamers are the nicest people

Then again some folk are just made for SOB's.

Good luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Talking Brainwashing

First you must find out if there is something to wash.
Second if there is,there may be some hope for them.
Third after buying a popup camper and geting wet and cold they have not learned from you about the benefits of having and Airstream or a Argosy I would just give up and let them make their own mistakes. They will learn the hard way. The best is that the airstream keeps its value for ever but the rest of the trailers become junk and are worthless after few years.
You can also tell them that an 1985 Airstream is worth more than any other 1995 trailer. Airstreams keep their value as long as they are in a decent shape. My 1985 Sovereign is worth as much as when it was new.
Regard to all Russell ins sunny Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
If you can't buy it for them, you might have to find it for them. For this particular cult member recruit I would recommend a recent model, not new, but not too old, one with the bugs worked out and with the newer doo-dads and gizmos to get their eyes all sparkly. That will be enough to hypnotize them and you can go in with some Airstream meditation -- a look at the future with them out camping with friends and family and having good times in their shiny silver pod. Once they're in this trance, it's all over.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You're correct; it is a cult thing. Some folks are drawn the Airstreams and some aren't. You have shown them that camping is fun, and that is more fun in a self-contained than in a pop-up. Bringing them into the Airstream fold is another matter. Most other campers think that their SOB is just as good as any Airstream for half the price. We, of course, know they're wrong.

The only rational arguments for buying an Airstream are:

1. If you want to have the very best tavel trailer in the world; Airstream is it.

2. Resale value. An Airstream has one.

3. Longevity - even though Airstreams represent only a small portion of the tavel trailer production in the US, it represents a major persentage of travel trailers in use that are over 15 years old.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Go ahead and let him buy his "simpler, cheaper, and fully functional" trailer for now. In six months, you will probably have a better shot at getting him to trade that in for an Airstream.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Let them get SOB, if the get an Airstream they would be cutting into the supply for the rest of us.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
The Real Deal

There are several ways to get someone into an Airstream. Take my brother for instance; he is going to be my best man at my upcoming wedding in June. When I asked him he was honored and very happy. Then I told him Sandi and I were getting married at a WBCCI Rally and in order to attend he would need an Airstream and since I bestowed upon him the honor of being my Best Man he would need one. Hence, he now a proud AS owner. See, there is always a way!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
You think that they would have learned from the whole pop-up fiasco that I know everything. Not so.....he tells me he's not interested in the hype - would prefer to buy something simpler, cheaper, and fully functional (the older, more affordable models have bugs to work out). *gasp* (why didn't I learn last time - use reverse psychology?! Should have said, "whatever you do, DON'T BUY AN AIRSTREAM!") So it goes.....
Well duh, Tracy! Avoiding the hype is what an Argosy is all about!!

Okay, nose off the ceiling... If they're economy inclined and by a used SOB, it'll already be >50% toward the boneyard. Yes, a trailer as old as Argosy will require more work the first couple years and with new axles it's good for another thirty! They'd be more ready to go, face a few systems issues and avoid the 8'6" wide biggies if they looked at an early 1990s Airstream -- but even newer trailers (Airstreams too) will face systems problems after a few years (out of warranty, etc). And an SOB will make them wring their hands over what they got into when they experience the "it's wearing out" syndrome. They've got ASForums and a pretty dense population of Midwest members to help think thru the hard parts.

They'll spend how much beyond what you're talking if they buy new or nearly new? Then they'd only get 10 years out of it, if that. And hate the stapled together cabinetry from the get-go.

They don't have to go vintage to look at the classifieds here or at the Vintage Airstream Club. I haven't spent much time at Airstream's classifieds ... but there are a lot of ways to put feelers out.

Are they wanting to go much bigger than your Minuet? Do they have a larger tow vehicle? I sure wouldn't want an ultralight falling apart behind me as I tow -- and many of those have push-out beds like a pop-up and aren't good in bear country (or even allowed in Yellowstone?).

Have them at least try signing up here and looking around for a while. Be at their side on the signup page and put in your username to take credit for the referral. Send them this thread? Have 'em keep the popup long enough to attend the next Midwest Rally and join us to look around; there's no big time guilt or snobbiness handed around.. And let them do what they will -- they'll remain friends, right?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Reading through this post I realize, I have come to the right place. These are some great ideas...this is good stuff... so far here are my options:

1- Hipnotizing them (like chickens) please refer to post titled "eggs" in which, using screen name "Tracy Lawrence," I explain, in detail, how to hipnotize a chicken: priceless information. And like all of my posts, very informative in the world of Airstreams. As suggested, I'm going to try chicken hipnosis on my friends. If it works, I am uncertain how to get them to buy the Airstream once hipnotized?
2- Buy it for them. Hmmm....I'm not quite sure I'm that dedicated to the cult, but still an option. Perhaps another more dedicated cultmember could help me out? Just send the Airstream to my house and I'll deliver it to them....
3- Rational ideas, Reason, statistics, etc. Who would've thought? That can't possibly work.....That'll be my last resort -I'll try that only if the torture doesn't work.
4- Find it for them/hipnotize with sparkle/Airstream meditation - this sounds more like it! Airstream meditation - please elaborate...
5- Let them buy SOB and learn from their mistakes and win them over in the longrun. Nice idea, simple, most likely effective. Could be fun .......if I add sabotage. "Oh look, poisonous snakes in the gray tank - very common with SOB's, never happens in Airstreams."
6- And Rickandsandi, your idea takes the cake. Get married at a WBCCI rally (first I have to file for divorce and somehow trick hubby into remarrying me once he's free) then ask them to stand up in the wedding and in lieu of tuxedo and bridesmaid dress, I insist that the necessary overpriced, wear it one time accessory to be an attendant is an Airstream! Oh, I like it! Just manipulative enough to work. So, Rick, on the topic of having your wedding at a rally - I need to know who turned you on to Airstreams and what methods they used?....no reason.......

Keep the ideas coming!
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
7 - Take them to an Airstream rally.

8 - Take them to an RV show and make them look at a sea of ugly, badly manufactured SOBs...then show them the Airstreams
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
5- Let them buy SOB and learn from their mistakes and win them over in the longrun. Nice idea, simple, most likely effective. Could be fun .......if I add sabotage. "Oh look, poisonous snakes in the gray tank - very common with SOB's, never happens in Airstreams."
Way to take it to the next level! The amusement you could get from that seems like it would offset your frustration that they didn't buy an Airstream in the first place...
Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What is it about Airstreams?

I pulled into my winter campground where I'll spend the next two months, and the answer to how to hypnotize them just came to me.

Airstreams are in a class by themselves. You can fulltime or weekend camp in an Airstream regardless of it's age (or Argosy) and look cool. If you fulltime, people assume you are a rugged individualist, or at the worst an eccentric.

The other groups of campers are divided into two groups:
  1. the people with incredibly huge brand spanking new motor homes or huge humpbacked new 5th wheels - who are pretentious snobs
  2. the people with ratty looking old trailers - who look like they are one step above homeless.
That may sound a bit snobby, but I've been welcomed wherever I've gone with my Airstream, even in places where most RV'ers are not encouraged to visit. Once when I parked near an IHOP the manager comp'ed my breakfast just because I offered to give him a tour.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #16
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Well...if they are REALLY good friends...you could let them camp once in yours.

Done deal.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
1:2 Punch

My uncle was a car salesman - award winning - in FLorida. He used to say, "People buy on emotion and then justify with Facts."

In our AS cult, we need to let potential candidates touch, feel, sit in, drive?, our ASs. The rest is easy.

"Sure we can afford it. We didn't want to retire next year anyway."

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Ten years ago we were part of 4 camping families , 3 of them bought new SOB's , I bought a 20 year old AS . They have all since replaced them with new SOB's and I'm happy as a pig with my 30 year old AS . In another 10 years my 40 year old AS will be worth more than all of their SOB's put together .The hit they took on depreciation could have bought 10 of mine .

The best part is when we go camping I'm the only one who has people knocking on the door and asking if they can take a look inside. I just smile and say ....sure thing
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #19
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
R
6- And Rickandsandi, your idea takes the cake. Get married at a WBCCI rally (first I have to file for divorce and somehow trick hubby into remarrying me once he's free) then ask them to stand up in the wedding and in lieu of tuxedo and bridesmaid dress, I insist that the necessary overpriced, wear it one time accessory to be an attendant is an Airstream! Oh, I like it! Just manipulative enough to work. So, Rick, on the topic of having your wedding at a rally - I need to know who turned you on to Airstreams and what methods they used?....no reason.......

Keep the ideas coming!
Well the truth is that ever since I was wee lad I wanted an AS. They were just too cool. Then the Astronauts got to live in one while having all that space stuff removed from their skin and clothing. Then of course they showed up in Life Magazine. I have been camping since very young in tents and had continued to do so but always had the dream of pulling into Yellowstone NP with an Airstream. Well after all those years of camping under the canvas Sandi and I started planning our adventure out to Yellowstone. Along with that we had to purchase our AS. We picked up our Safari on tax day of 2005. While everyone else was worried about getting their tax returns in we were on our way to our first outing in an AS. And so the story continues, Sandi and I are getting married surrounded by Airstreams. JC believes this to be a first, but it is an actual WBCCI Rally June 1 - 4th sponsored by the New England Unit! So I am the first in my family to own an AS but not the last!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Stinking pile of junk

Tell them if they buy an Airstream and keep it and use it more than about 5 to 10 years, it won't turn into a rotting, leaking, stinking pile of junk ready to retire to the hunting camp with $0 resale value (you have to pay someone to tow it away) like most other SOB trailers. (Avions, Silver Streaks, Spartans etc. excepted)

Like my 1953 Cruiser, what other brand of trailer is still useable and in good condition after 54 years?
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote