Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Don’t know if it’s related to our current issue but we drove down some of the worst roads we’ve ever traveled today. Remarkably, the cabinets didn’t come loose.

On to our turbo issue. Going up a steep grade today we entered what appeared to be limp home mode. I checked the OBD PIDs and boost was less than a psi. I then checked the codes and saw P0299, underboost. Wow an OBD code with a descriptive name that makes sense.

Next pulloff I check air filter (van is covered in fine silt from all the dirt roads) and visually inspect the new turbo hoses installed last month. I didn’t see much. I try having IB rev the engine with the transmission in gear and brakes on (so I don’t get flattened). I was looking for turbo actuator movement. Didn’t see any but wasn’t sure where to look and had no cell reception at the time to check the interwebs. Still not sure what I should expect to see. I cleared the codes and when we resumed up the hill we heard a loud hiss just as it reentered limp home mode. Loose hose?

I pulled the codes again and got a few more. I will recheck the new hoses and actuator in the morning when the engine is cooler as well as the fuses in hopes there is common electrical issue among these codes.

Wish we had one of the DAD scanners to run diagnostic tests but they’re pretty rare. I have dibs on one but the owner has to die before I can take possession.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
How about a pretty picture to go with this THIRD on-the-road failure?!

I can’t see my way through to reliability on this rig. Short of buying a trailer and hauling a full second spare engine behind us, I just don’t know what I can do to keep it running. I spent almost a thousand dollars exactly 23 days ago to preempt exactly the scenario that happened today - 166 km through mostly mountains in limp mode, now back in Sydney looking for a diesel mechanic tomorrow morning while the rest of my family is back in the Cape Breton Highlands in the summer cottage.

Beautiful place, though, isn’t it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8591.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	516.3 KB
ID:	319908
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
So sorry to hear of your problems. I’m hoping you’re able to quickly, and inexpensively solve them.
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And I am right now spending two days in Cheyenne, Wyoming, with a split in my turbo hose.

Part arrives tomorrow, and I will hopefully be back on the road.

Maggie
Old 08-15-2018, 03:43 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
LB_3, did you check your Turbo Resonator and hose? While we were in Kamloops getting our P0299 issue resolved, they replaced the resonator and the hose to it. Ours had the Dorman one piece design resonator in there.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My turbo hoses are 24 days old as of today. They are part of what I paid to replace preemptively. MB did the work.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:35 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
And the resonator is already the aluminum replacement. It’s not possible for it to break.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:14 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
LB_3 burst into the place where we are crashing to announce that he found a turbo hose had COME OFF. He is trying to fix it.

Timing is everything. We might have found this on the road yesterday except we had to make a command decision to either screw with the engine in the field, or do a Hail Mary dash for civilization. It’s very dangerous to do 20 mph on the Trans-Canada Highway, especially after dark, so we chose to get as far as possible as fast as possible.

Part of the motivation is that we have a special guest with us on this trip and I’m determined to prioritize that person’s experience here (so I was fixin’ to look for a rental car this morning so that I could get the van fixed while LB_3 sees to the guest).
Old 08-15-2018, 05:36 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
BTW, see the particular toolkit shown in this IG screengrab. This is what Million Mile Sprinter recommends that all T1N owners carry. There’s apparently a link to it on his website and it’s sold via Amazon or eBay or somewhere.

I didn’t know this previously and our present tool collection is hit or miss. We have to go to Canadian Tire for tools as a result. Joel says pretty much anything on a T1N can be tackled with just this box.

Name:	IMG_8598.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	594.5 KB
ID:	319927
Old 08-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
LB_3 burst into the place where we are crashing to announce that he found a turbo hose had COME OFF. He is trying to fix it.

Timing is everything. We might have found this on the road yesterday except we had to make a command decision to either screw with the engine in the field, or do a Hail Mary dash for civilization. It’s very dangerous to do 20 mph on the Trans-Canada Highway, especially after dark, so we chose to get as far as possible as fast as possible.

Part of the motivation is that we have a special guest with us on this trip and I’m determined to prioritize that person’s experience here (so I was fixin’ to look for a rental car this morning so that I could get the van fixed while LB_3 sees to the guest).
The hose wasn’t off when I initally checked it. And the engine was too damn hot for me to go grabbing and wiggeling things on the side of the road.
Off to Canadian Tire for a socket to fit the band clamp. I feel I got it pretty tight with a screwdriver but my hands were greasy and the dew made it pretty slippery and I would be more comfortable with another haft turn on the clamp.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
And the resonator is already the aluminum replacement. It’s not possible for it to break.
The hose to it isn’t aluminum! They replaced the hose as well as the resonator. Covering all bases.

Looks like you may have found the problem though.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #92
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Do yourself a favor and when you get a chance, replace those with proper turbo hose clamps...

Oh! And so glad you found the culprit!!!

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
How many miles on your MH when this happened?

Thanks

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
We had about 3000 miles since the new turbo hoses were installed but these were some of the longest and steepest grades of the trip.

Music to my eyeballs:
Old 08-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The repair shop that put my new turbo hose on today said replacing that these is the most common problem they see with the MB Diesel engines.

They service the small motorhomes, also the FedEx, UPS, etc., delivery trucks, and see lots of these with lots of miles on them.

It would seem to me, in the great scheme of things with our older rigs, that this is not too bad.

Maggie
Old 08-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #96
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
We had about 3000 miles since the new turbo hoses were installed but these were some of the longest and steepest grades of the trip.

Music to my eyeballs:

Not familiar with your power train but looks like the pedal is on the floor or a hair off it engine temp well under control, turbo pushing a lot of air, lots of work being done and the battery is getting its share.

Mileage a bit low but I bet when the road flattened out that will perk up, temp drop slightly load goes down too.

A diesel doing its job.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Turbo now fixed, en route back to the Highlands I stopped to take this redemption photo in the same place as yesterday, and as I re-entered the rig after the snaps, our guest was giggling.

Come to find out that my husband had been mooning the camera out the back window, but the glass tint is so heavy that there is no visible result here.

I told him that, next time, he needs to mash those cheeks right up against the glass so that the effect is not lost.

;-)

Name:	IMG_8612.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	319972
Old 08-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #98
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Smile

too funny!

Glad you guys are back on the road!!! Have fun and no more breakdowns!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Not familiar with your power train but looks like the pedal is on the floor or a hair off it engine temp well under control, turbo pushing a lot of air, lots of work being done and the battery is getting its share.

Mileage a bit low but I bet when the road flattened out that will perk up, temp drop slightly load goes down too.

A diesel doing its job.
Not bad for a 2.7 liter diesel accelerating 8,500# eastbound over North Mountain in Cape Breton. (4km climb - ave. grade: 9.85%; max grade: 14.3%)

I have some background turning wrenches on cars to make them go faster and I have trouble wrapping my head around diesels running 22lbs of boost and not blowing head gaskets, stripping head bolts, cracking intakes, cracking blocks, throwing rods, etc...
Old 08-16-2018, 04:34 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We joke to our guest that she is one of the few tourists who has ever done the Cabot Trail TWICE - once in each direction. Because the turbo failure had happened on the OTHER side of North Mountain, and I didn’t think we’d be able to get back the way we came. So we had to press forward and then reverse upon repair.