Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Canon City , Colorado
Best to sell in classified or ebay?

We have decided to sell our 1968 17' Caravele which we have had for 16 years. After looking at vintage airstream I feel like it would be as found. It has a large dent in the upper right skin. Needs uphosterly redone. Also a new toilet is needed as can't find a replacment lid. Appliances work, ref door is rough but it cools. No leaks. The axle is original. What is best set a price 9if so, how much)? or auction on ebay.
Thanks for any help you can give
Boundaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
I would definitely go with Airstream Classifieds. We sold our Pacer there and got the full asking price, which we thought was the fair market value. Classifieds reaches a national market and the ads run for as long as you want.

I would not buy a trailer on Ebay unless it was close enough to personally inspect before the auction closed. You have to be able to see, touch, and smell a vintage trailer to evaluate its condition, and you seldom are able to do that on an Ebay offering.

Just my opinion.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I have had more success selling on the airforums classifieds. Highly recommend it.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I've had success with craigslist, but it is loaded with pitfalls, "seller beware" besides normal "buyer beware".
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Ebay gets lots of eyes. Post lots of pictures and set a minimum price you can live with. If you don't have an account with lots for trades (over 100) get a freind to list it for you.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I would try the classifieds first. People reading these forums are usually more serious about trailer shopping and you may not get the run around like ebay. I did buy my first trailer on ebay but ended up negotiating the price after I found out about it's true condition.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We saw our first Class C on Ebay but did not buy it through an auction.
We sold it on RV Trader.
Found our CCD on RV Trader and purchased it through a dealer.
We prefer to buy from individuals because in GA you do not have to pay sales tax ever!
We sold it on RV Trader.
We found our Westy on Craigslist.
Still have it.

All of our rigs have been late model. I would think your best bets would be AS Forums Classifieds and Craiglist. There is nothing wrong with putting it on more than one site. I have listed vehicles on Ebay but have never made a sale that way. The listing process is time consuming.

We have had great success over the years buying and selling vehicles with Auto Trader, Bike Trader and Truck Trader as well.

When we use bank issued checks we verify the funds before we hand over the vehicle. We use a sales agreement.
We check out the title status prior to a purchase and make arrangements for transfer. For our personal vehicle sales we always have the title in hand which makes for a simpler transaction.
When my husband sells a business owned vehicle he always calls the bank and gets their transfer policy and procedures.
If the buyer is financing he checks out their policy and procedure as well.
He leaves little to chance.
We have had a couple of minor glitches but all has quickly been resolved.

I would say that we have made over 20 transactions this way.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Personally, I'd go with Craigslist AND the classifieds. I've had good luck with Craigs....have sold two trailers on there, one in under 24 hours, and the other in just a few days, and got my asking price for both.

A 17' Caravele will go fast.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I would say Classifieds and Craigslist. Your best bet is to have someone who can come look at it before buying. A lot of ebay bidders back out after winning the auction or renegotiate once they have seen it - some with good reason I'm sure. But once you've agreed to sell it to them for a price, and they're standing there negotiating, they are in a much better position than you - you're likely to adjust your price just to be done with it.

Caravels are really popular. If I was selling one I would clean it up as much as possible, and have everything ready to demonstrate to show what works. You will probably have no problem selling it. I'll warn you, when I sold my Bambi a few years ago, I got calls from as far away as Japan interested in it. People like to buy the little trailers and ship them overseas. I don't particularly mind that, but I wanted to deal face to face with the person buying it.

As for the price? With a dent, needs upholstery, needs a new axle at some point. Top of the line, ready to camp in, all refurbished, and polished, is probably going to be around $13-15k. One that needs work - I don't know $5-7k? What do folks think? I do think that the vintageAirstream.com price guide is a bit low on the low end - $2000 - $3800. You'd be hard pressed to find a Caravel in that price range no matter what it's condition.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I agree with posts above, leaning towards Craigslist and Classifieds here.. We bought ours via Vintage Airstream Club site, but suspect it is gone by now.. eBay is really a fraudster paradise, on both ends (sellers and buyers..) so you need to be ultra careful before parting with property or accepting payment.. There are threads here on frauds and eBay misrepresentations, but here are highlights:
- So many folks over-estimate condition that lots of eBay deals fall through and trigger disputes, and even accurate reps meet unrealistic buyer expectations
- Phony cashier/official checks are rampant, and hard for most people to spot. Primary rule is that ONLY the official issuing bank printed on the check must give you cash on the spot.. Moneygram, for example, must only trade check for cash in high-rise office building in Los Angeles... Anywhere else, you deposit into your account and hope.
- There are still scam artists working the export/agent deal (my representative will pick up and take to docks...) and overpayment scam (I'll send cashier check for $2,000 extra to pay for shipping... Don't even consider either...
- There are legitimate escrow services that will hold vehicles and release upon receipt of good funds.. Worth it if cash or local cashier check isn't an option...
- Before taking ads down and considering sold, agree in advance with buyer on "Plan B" if they see it and don't want it.. They liable for their travel costs? They get deposit and funds paid back? They liable for advance inspection costs? Is that an option?

Pricing for that kind of trailer more linked to "Vision" of buyers than any blue book or index.. Present rarity, and buyer's concept of what it "could become" will determine what it's worth to them...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Canon City , Colorado
Thanks to everyone who has responded I really appreciate the feedback, I haven't yet decided which way to go. I mainly want to get a fair price , but yet want the buyer to feel they got a good deal.
Boundaries is offline   Reply With Quote