Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Best Route across New England

I will be traveling from Ohio to St. Andrews, NB to meet our Viking Caravan on the way to Newfoundland.

Plan to take I80 thru Penn. & I81 north to Vermont.

What state routes thru Vermont, N. Hampshire, & Maine are scenic, off the beaten path, and will get me to Bangor area.(plan to go down to Acadia NP and then follow the coast line up to St. Andrews.

Plan to take a week or two to make the trip to St. Andrews.

Any comments appreciated.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
A nice route is Rte 112 in NH which you could take East toward Conway, NH where you would could pick-up Rte 302 East. There are other options in that area depending on how much of the White Mtn area you want to see. If you have time, I would recommend at least swinging by Mount Washington. There is lots to do in that area -- hiking, sightseeing, etc. Then take Rte 117 to pick-up Rte 2 which will get you into the Bangor area of Maine.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
I've made the trip from Cleveland to Halifax 4 times and always took I-80 to I-495 - I-95 into Maine all the way up to NB on the Maine Pike. Speed was a consideration - I only had two days to get to Halifax and the return trip had to be two days also. Your route seems much more interesting! Take LOTS of money for gas - I hear Canada is $1.25 a litre!

Will you be visiting Goobies in Newfoundland? It is the most unique name for a town ever! Even better than Mushaboom NS!!!

Have some Nanaimo bars and poutine for us - LOL!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I'll second Yukionna's suggestion! The White mountins of NH are awesome! Take a side trip and drive up to the summit 6388ft or so or save your car and take the cog railway to the top... better yet hike up and ski Tuckerman Ravine.. snow till July.

We love that area of NH, definately scenic!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
in VT

You'll find many picture perfect villages and sites along Route 100 in Vermont, it runs north-south along the Green Mountains. You might want to take Route 4 from NY to 100 and then follow it north to catch US Route 2 East to Bangor, ME. All the US and state routes are pretty scenic in Vermont, the only one that I would avoid would be Route 7. Also be prepared for slower progress than you would expect, and if the route you choose is really swiggly on the map, it will surely be interesting, but even slower.
Another tip, skip Ben and Jerry's tour and hit Rainbow Sweets on Route 2 in Marshfield, VT! Might want to pass through downtown Montpelier to see the nation's smallest state capitol, a number of good places to eat there also. A short side trip to Rock of Ages granite quarry and factory in Barre is a must, make sure you allow time for the factory tour. In St. Johnsbury you can catch the Fairbanks Museum (lots of dead, stuffed animals in a really fascinating building).
Sounds like a great trip!
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Almost any road going east and west thru VT and NH are scenic . Lots of hills , twists and turns , take your time , it's worth it . North and south , VT 100 , Vt 5 , NH10 , NH 3 (n of Plymouth) , NH 16 . I envy you . Lots of friendly folk here in N. E. , if you run into trouble give a yell.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I'm with Yuk and Tiki, the side roads in NH/VT/ME are just awesome...we love taking our time poking along, stop for a swim/lunch/antique store, etc...

Don't know what you have for a TV, but you will put it to the test in the Whites.

I'm heading up that way this afternoon for a few days of backpacking...

Bill
Old 06-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Don't forget the Kangamungus (Sp?) trail thru the White Mountains!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Thanks to all for the travel information.

We are leaving Ohio on the 25th and have to be in St. Andrews by the 8th of July. Then returning we plan to take a slow trip back.

Gas in Canada last summer was 1.19 per liter so 1.25 is no surprise.

We can't wait, wife has never been in New England. I spent a winter there paid for by uncle sam many years ago.

I almost can't express how much we enjoy WBCCI Caravanning. Last summer was the maple leaf thru BC & Alberta. This year is NB,NS, & Newfoundland. Next year is Alaska. The caravans are mostly retirees who are slowing down enough to "smell the roses". The friendships, traveling, sight seeing, eating out, sharing, joking, etc. makes it such a wonderful experience. Without a doubt, caravanning is the best part of WBCCI. Some people may say it is the local unit but, we have not been members for many years and have never developed the local friendships that I am sure develop on the unit level.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote