Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Best Practices for Less Stress Airstreaming

I'm always interested in hearing what best practices, ideas, thoughts that others implement in their Airstreaming lifestyle for opportunities that we can incorporate into our Airstreaming lifestyle. We are still employed and we are a number of years from retirement, so our camping opportunities are limited to weekends and planned vacations throughout the year, seldom any spontaneous trips.

Following are a few examples of some of our "best practices" (not necessarily "set in stone" ... but things we try to incorporate) we try to follow that seem to make our Airstreaming/camping opportunities more enjoyable and less stressful:

1. For every hour of drive time required to reach our destination, we desire 1 day off from work for the trip. For example, if it takes us 4 hours to reach our destination, then we want at least 4 days off from work. Otherwise it turns into a hectic and stressful weekend hurrying to and from the destination.

2. Never let the water hose connection touch the ground when connecting or disconnecting the water source at the Airstream ... we've seen some unbelievably nasty things people do with their sewer hose at their site and who knows what occurred prior to our use of the site we're in.

3. When the camping trip has come to an end, on that last morning, prior to "breaking camp" for our return trip home, the Airstream is cleaned and prepped for the next trip so we don't have a messy trailer to get ready before our next trip out. Then we hitch up and head home.

4. Our camping checklist and camping gear resides in one location in the garage to minimize overlooking packing something.

Do you have any "best practices" to share with the rest of us?
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Gee, that'a pretty high standard...
Our trips usually don't allow for 'rule 1'..we pretty much drive several days for a few hours at a location (4,200 miles in 15 days was our last outing)
#2...we usually are more concerned about what comes out of the spigot...
#3...oops...we still have a few pounds of dead bugs on the front of our 'stream from the last outing...I still haven't found one pair of shoes...they must be in the closet...
#4...we kinda leave the stuff in the camper so it's doesn't get left behind on the next trip...

Our #1 stress reducer...Visa Card...and..."the Lack of a plan assures the plan won't fail"

Seriously, we just kinda roll with it...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey guys... Good points all around. We haven't done the "clean the trailer at the end of the trip" thing yet, but it's something we can strive for. I like your forumla for time off vs driving time...We try to take as much time as we can...we have a less restricted work-frame happily, so we usually build some extra days into our trip so that if we decide we want to stay longer we can (or go somewhere else)... We REALLY like getting the most bank for our travel...if, for instance, we are going to drive a long distance to get to a rally or event, we are very likely to add other legs before or after that event and go visit places along the way or back toward home "since we're in the neighborhood." We also believe in making the journey part of the destination, sometimes staying a day or two along the way if we feel like it. And oh, we hate to back-track...we'll take a different route home than we took going if at all possible.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Wink Hang Loose

No offense intended, but If I had all those "best practices", I would not enjoy the trip.
These are our best practices.
Get ready a relaxed pace.
Don't worry about forgetting something. There's always a store somewhere.
Travel at a relaxed pace.
Don't set any goals
Stop when you feel like it.
Stop to smell the roses.
When at destination do what catches your fancy.
Start home in plenty of time to make it a pleasant journey.
Clean the trailer up when you feel like it.

Ken

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
To relieve driving stress, I like to leave for a trip from my home base late at night or wee hours in the morning (before 2am). I avoid traffic in the Metroplex and make very good time. I stop when it's breakfast time, by then I'm several hundred miles away and truely on the road. No need to make pit stops for dogs or anybody with me during the first hours of the drive because they are all sleeping.
On the return trip, I like to arrive back in this area before everyone gets up and on the road for work.

Other than that, I follow Ken's (w7ts) advice.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I like to second the idea of just rolling with it. We just returned from a 4400 mile two week trip and did not have one reservation. We just hit the road, our kids enjoy the lack of structure and we find that we enjoy this adventure. We boondock in unusual places, travel distances that we are comfortable with even though I have been known to do 800 mile days!

I love a clean trailer but wait until I get home to clean it on the outside, cleaning it on the inside as we go.

Never understood the folks that just sit in one place for two weeks...
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Gee, that'a pretty high standard...
Our trips usually don't allow for 'rule 1'..we pretty much drive several days for a few hours at a location (4,200 miles in 15 days was our last outing)
#2...we usually are more concerned about what comes out of the spigot...
#3...oops...we still have a few pounds of dead bugs on the front of our 'stream from the last outing...I still haven't found one pair of shoes...they must be in the closet...
#4...we kinda leave the stuff in the camper so it's doesn't get left behind on the next trip...

Our #1 stress reducer...Visa Card...and..."the Lack of a plan assures the plan won't fail"

Seriously, we just kinda roll with it...
Uh....yup....but it takes practice.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
My best practice will be limiting my trailer occupants to two people. The last trip we went on we had three, two of who were barely getting along. We still had fun but it could have been much better

Or maybe I'll start travelig myself so the only expectations I have to meet are mine. That sounds much better.

Dan
Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
We take a day to set up the trailer and pack it (including the fridge).

Everytime we realize we need a tool or appliance on the road, we buy one for the trailer and leave it in the trailer even if it's a duplicate of what we have at home.

We leave early when possible (kids etc sleeping for several hours of the trip is great).

We buy Diesel at petroleum distributors (CFN network) and we have a 44 gal tank so few stops and no mini-marts at the fueling locations.

We take a day after the trip to clean / recharge the trailer before putting it back in storage.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2018 23' International
San Diego , California
Frank and Mike,
We follow the same four guide which make our trips more enjoyable. A couple of other things we do are:

1. We each have our camping clothes (including nice clothes for eating out) and pretty much everything else needed which stays in the camper. After we clean the camper before breaking camp we place all linens, towels and dirty clothes etc. into a large hamper. Once home the hamper goes into the house, everything washed, then put back into their various places in the camper.

2. The day before a trip we buy all groceries, etc and place in the camper the night before so when we get home from work it is hook up and go.

3. If it is cold outside I have been known to turn the heat on in the camper when we stop at a restaurant for dinner so it is warmer once we reach our destination.

For me, planning and organizing is 75% of the fun.

Chaps
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
No offense intended, but If I had all those "best practices", I would not enjoy the trip.
These are our best practices.
Get ready a relaxed pace.
Don't worry about forgetting something. There's always a store somewhere.
Travel at a relaxed pace.
Don't set any goals
Stop when you feel like it.
Stop to smell the roses.
When at destination do what catches your fancy.
Start home in plenty of time to make it a pleasant journey.
Clean the trailer up when you feel like it.

Ken

Next time we are on the front range we have to go out for dinner, we think so much alike

Frank&Mike I love that these things work for you but here is why they won't work for me and what does:

#1 is crazy, When we go places they are usually at least 6-12 hours away, and like bluto we leave around 3am that way no traffic and the kids sleep till seven or eight and then it's time to stop and get breakfast.

Going to Yellowstone over Labor day. 10 hours one way. Leave Thursday after kids get out of school. sleep in a rest area somewhere. get there friday. Spend 3 1/2 days having fun. Drive back Tuesday. If we followed your rule #1 we would have to spend 20 days there

#2 is a little to anal for me, I try not to let it hit the ground but don't stress over it. Most camp grounds we camp at don't have dumps at the camp sites. Plus I let it hit the ground to drain the water out by blowing down it..

#3 I'm still enjoying my camping trip on the last day and cleaning up is the last thing I want to do. Especialy after 4 kids I save that for when I get home. and then maybe a few days after I get home.

I also leave as much in the trailer as I can so I don't have to worry about leaving it behind next time.

#4 My wife tried to implement a check list, but like Ken I figure there are stores if I forget stuff, and why would I forget something, I leave it all in the trailer.

We have 4 kids, from 2 1/2 year old twins to 9 1/2 year old. My friend does too. He is way more anal than me and spends more time stressed out because of his kids than I do. His trailer has to be clean and organized and he spends to much time trying to keep it that way.

I have two rules. dirty clothes in the dirty clothes bin. and keep everything out of the walk way, thats it.

When camping, I don't want to have to worry about check list, cleaning up, driving times verses staying times. I want to get there, have fun getting there, and have fun when I'm there.

So here is how I stay stress free on a trip.

- As soon as I leave the driveway, NO MORE STRESS.. Well except what the kids cause
- Enjoy the ride.
- Stop when the kids need a break.
- Don't make to many plans, when they don't happen people get stressed.
- Pack clothes, camp fire wood, and food. Everything else should be in the trailer.
- Clean up when we get home, and don't worry about it till then.
- When a camp don't worry about anything except what we are doing there, should be having Fun.
- don't have to many rules, the kids will break them and stress me out

But this is just me. And your stuff works for you and keeps you stressless. It wouldn't for me. But thats the great part, we are all different. It would be so boring if we all did the same thing.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"1. For every hour of drive time required to reach our destination, we desire 1 day off from work for the trip..."

That's great if you have the time. If we followed that formula on our cross country road trip, we'd still be on it. Unless we are going to a rally, we take our time and ramble around. Our kids tell us we're gone more than we're at home. Well, that's the idea...

I guess my best practice (should I have one) is that we only use our TV for towing the AS, so we keep it packed and ready to go. We add or subtract gear depending where we're going. It pretty much stays hooked up to the camper most of the time. When packing up, sometimes we prep it for the next adventure, sometimes we just toss it in the back and deal with it when we get home.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Yeah, that first rule is a tough one. That said, driving more than 2.5-3 hours on a Friday night after work is a bit too much.

We find that it helps to mostly clean the inside of the trailer before we tow home. While I'm outside hitching up, my wife sweeps the floor, wipes the shower (with the used-up towel), and wipes off the countertops. All we need to do at home is take out the laundry basket, empty the fridge (and wipe it out), and carry out whatever food is in the trailer.

The rule we're working on is this: maybe it's too much to expect to go camping every single weekend of the camping season. Stuff needs to get done, both at home and with the trailer.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Stress busting? Just remember this and you won't go far wrong:

"Everything takes longer than expected so allow more time than you think you'll need"

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I used to be like the first poster; HOWEVER, since retirement, I've found myself being more like the HANG LOOSE poster!!!!! I'm having much more fun!

A few more considerations;
Don't hang around those with too much drama in their lives....they'll drag you down to their level.
Take a few minutes during a "Stress Moment" to go outside, face into the wind and take a few deep breaths.
Last, but not least, PRAY.
Good luck and Happy Trails.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Cleaning before you get home? Half the dirt we track into ours is FROM home (there's not much grass outside the door...I believe this is a good sign)... cleaning it ahead of time would be wasted effort. How do you unload the trailer without making it dirty again?

I was thinking things like, "Keep up with maintenance and fix small problems before they blow up during your trip."

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
The right campsite makes a huge difference.

There is absolutely nothing more relaxing that sipping your favourite beverage around your campfire while the sun is going down on the far side of a lake.

This means we work hard at getting a premium site ......... depending on where you are going this always means one on the water or one with a view. For destination camping this also means reserving well in advance - and perhaps even adjusting your dates. For on-the-road camping this becomes a little bit of a crap shoot - but if we know we are coming up to a great park, and it hasn't been practical to reserve in advance, then we will try to time our arrival for early in the day for a better selection.

The picture is of Marg after dusty day's travel. The campsite was in Muncho Lake Provincial Park, BC - it just doesn't get better.

The other big Big BIG stress reliever? - work stays at home .........

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6243.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	164404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6268.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	164405  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
On Planning and Children

Purman said, "Don't make too many plans, when they don't happen, people get stressed."

This is the best advice when traveling with children. Don't even use the 'maybe we'll' wording. My ex was always so stressed (tried unsuccessfully to plan fun for everyone) when we went on trips that everyone was miserable. My advice is to have a possibilities list (don't show anyone!) and make suggestions as you go. If the weather is bad and you are passing a water park...just pass and don't say anything. If it is Tuesday and you are passing a Legoland, the kiddies won't be crushed to discover it is closed if it hasn't been a 'maybe we'll stop at'...

Traveling with kids can add a huge amount of stress if you let it. There is always an "I don't wanna do that", or a "That is boring" reaction. I don't pretend to have the right answer, but hopefully the destination will have something that everyone likes to do. Yes, the journey should be fun, too, but trying too much sets the entire 'event' up for failure. Build up for the destination, and if things work out, an 'impromptu' suggestion along the way, especially when it comes at a convenient rest time, will bring those forever memories that one is looking for from vacation.

Now that I mostly travel alone, vacation is much more relaxed. I won't be able to get out this year, but having an Airstream means de-stressing is right around the corner when the need is at its most.

Take care and happy streaming!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We like to travel with very little planning, moving along day by day when we feel like going and as far as feel like driving. This is one of the luxuries of retirement, the privilege for which we paid for in spades.

We have learned:

not to fixate on finding the perfect campground or boondocking spot---this self-imposed pressure spoils the joy of traveling together and seeing this beautiful country. Safety is the most important issue, and sites will be * to **** on any given day.

to keep things tidy inside and out of the Interstate---this is the way we keep our stick house and what is most comfortable for us. If anyone stops to admire and wants to take a look inside, never a problem.

to watch diesel prices, fuel being our biggest expense, and top off our tank when we see a good price---makes us feel thrifty and consistent with our "spend less, do more" philosophy

keep meals simple, prepared by us and nutritious most days---makes the end of day wind-down easier in many ways. We also like to start each trip with a few items in the frig that just need to be heated up.

Above all, treasure each day and realize how very fortunate you are to be able to do it.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Lots of good ideas and great insight shared by all. I anticipated the risk of being perceived as anal prior to posting this thread. But it's something I've been curious about for a long time so I decided to go ahead and ask the question.

A little background that probably drives some of this, possibly excessive thought and plannning on my part, is the fact that typically my job has me traveling throughout the country 3 out of 4 weeks a month (Monday - Friday). So it takes a fair amount of planning and organization to be prepared to fly home on a Friday and be ready to head out for the weekend.

The one piece of advice offered up on one of the thread replies ... "leave your job at home" is spot on. It does make for a great weekend away when the concerns of work can be left behind.

Thanks for all of the ideas offered up and any others that anyone may have.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote