Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
For those who are overreacting to the potential of exploding LPG tanks, every one of our trailers (and almost every other brand of RV in North America) has at least one. I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard about LPG tank explosions on RVs and auto/trucks. I hear and see many more exploding or burning vehicles and RVs from much more conventional means, such as a wiring short. Disney World uses LPG fueled locototives to pull their signature trains around their parks, and have for decades, without incident.
Even RVs that have burned to the ground still have their LP tanks intact, if scorched.
After 30 + years as a firefighter, Terry is correct. I feel very safe around propane and I consider it a safe alternative.
I didn't have a chance to read any of the deleted posts, hopefully I'm not re-stepping in something....
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #82
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
After 30 + years as a firefighter, Terry is correct. I feel very safe around propane and I consider it a safe alternative.
I didn't have a chance to read any of the deleted posts, hopefully I'm not re-stepping in something....
Dave
Not stepping in anything, I was responding to Bruno's post about his neighbors being terrified of his LP powered F150.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Whew...
'Course, I WAS agreeing with the moderator
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 05-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #84
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Up Hill

Everything is so different from the past.
I miss the 60s alot.
I also remember things were not so great....and I don't mean politics or drugs.
Inflation of the 70s was much worse than whats going on now.
Had fun anyway...and will find ways now.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #85
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Inflation of the 70s was much worse than whats going on now.
Had fun anyway...and will find ways now.
I seem to remember 14% inflation, and a similar percentage of unemployment. I remember the wage and price freeze, the independent trucker's strike, and being the only gas station in town with gas--and resisting the urge to raise the price.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
re: Beginning of the end?

put your sandwich board down 'the end is not so nigh'
for the time being that is. the recent increase at the pump appears to be a gentle nudge - change your ways oh dinasour drinking humans.

here goes exercising the first amendment whilst abiding by the rules of this forum.

politicians, our elected leaders controlling things stateside are aware of the complicities of dealing with global markets. they too have ideas they stand by and act upon as leaders. these ideas supposedly represent 'we the peoples' ideas. isnt that how they get there in the first place (hey diebold)

[tangental thought] whats going on in Zimbabwe, 100,000% inflation!!!!!!!!

two things to draw your attention; one, the oil reserves in iraq. baghdad anyone? - Iraq Energy Expo 2008

and two; Bloomberg.com: Latin America a potential 3rd largest oil field find ever!

Copacabana sound good? Groove on Barry Manilow

elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
Motor Fuel Taxes

Flat rate..great information about all state and ferderal taxes on this site.
excellect! thanks.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Related developement

A California based SOB company has closed it's doors. The founder of this company is the son of the guy who started Fleetwood.

Alfa Leisure calls it quits » RV News Service
AIR #15800

2000 Safari SS 25'
Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #89
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
A California based SOB company has closed it's doors. The founder of this company is the son of the guy who started Fleetwood.

Alfa Leisure calls it quits » RV News Service
I read this article, and it sounded like they were blaming their bankrupcy on one of their suppliers. Companies go bankrupt even in good times.

Then I got to the last paragraph. I think this says it all:

"There are currently no plans for additional operations and the company shutdown is just one of a growing number of RV manufacturers that have closed their doors. As housing values have dropped, many potential buyers have lost the equity in their homes they had in the past used to purchase big-ticket items."
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, some of these companies only stayed alive because there were so many uneducated people buying RVs that even a maker of a miserably-built rig could stay in business. Reduce the number of buyers somewhat -- not even dramatically -- and these guys call it quits.

Personally, I don't have any experience with Alpha, but had a few guests that owned them. And they weren't that terribly enthused.

Lynn
Old 05-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
I wonder if RV sales will pick up from folks giving up their big homes and RV it fulltime?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
I wonder if RV sales will pick up from folks giving up their big homes and RV it fulltime?
I thought the same thing. Not for everyone, clearly, but it could work (and is working) well for some. It'll be interesting to see. More accurately, we might see people leaving their big homes (if they can unload them) for little homes, and the people with little homes moving into their RVs.

Reminds me of an article I read years ago in a home restoration magazine--I'm a huge old house fan, anything after 1960 is too modern for me. It was saying how in decades past, architecturally speaking, the big, lavish homes were capable of then being easily turned into rooming houses, apartments, etc. in hard times. Not that they were planned that way, but the style of the day lent itself to that, which made them much more economically viable to own, even during lean years.

The big houses now (I think the distinction was anything over 2500 sqft, might have been 3000) would be harder pressed to easily convert into multi-family living, for all that they have more bathrooms than their predecessors. This makes them harder to buy and sell, as they must be almost exclusively sold as single-family homes in a market where fewer people can afford that much.

Yet more reason to fulltime in your Airstream--sell now and get out of that McMansion while you can!
Fiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
if you let these people who make the rules get into your head,you lose.sorry to say but many of you people have lost.i just go campin'.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Fuel costs?

I have been reading the various posts under this thread with great interest. Fuel costs are definitely "up" in our perception, but it is interesting to see the price of fuel adjusted for inflation. Check out the cost of fuel over time, in inflation adjusted dollars, via the following link:

Inflation adjusted Gasoline Price Chart

I think the market economy will make adjustments over time. Cost of travel, via air, rail, or road will eventually meet demand, as will the cost of hotels, RV resorts/parks, et cetera. The added plus may be that the facilities are less crowded, and more intimate.

I recently visited Australia, Queensland to be specific, where petrol costs can be $USD 5.00+ per gallon, and there was no shortage of Caravaners in the parks or on the road. What I did note was the design of the trailers, which were definitely more aerodynamic than your average SOB, and therefore more fuel efficient. An Airstream owner, as the result of a decades old design, is actually riding the crest of new things to come in the industry. And best yet, has an American Icon, and a classic behind them.

Savor the wisdom of Wally, Travel with pride!

There is alot to explore, even locally. Hit the road!
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
The Basic Necessities

As the cost of basic necessities rise, like the stock market during good times, I weigh my priorities and interests with my budget. Whiile our economy goes through the pains and process of stabilizing, I choose to take shorter trips more frequently this year. In the past, I've ignored my on backyard and all things considered, this year seems like an ideal time to explore that backcountry. Life is full of hills and valleys, but riding out the storm has carried me though. Looking back, the fond memories far exceed the unplesant times. May this seasons travels be memorable and rewarding to all,
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
shine on airstreamers.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
"Begining of the end?" Nope...were just going around again.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
It's your life style.

Hi, the rising fuel costs are just a wake up call for your life style. I don't like it either, but some of us eat too much, causing us to weigh too much, and have the need to park three feet from the front door of the mall. We need to walk more. [I park farther from the entrances so I can walk some more and it's usually safer for your car, like in door dings.] I eat better foods now and lost about 20 lbs. We take bike rides almost daily. [better for you and cheaper than a gym membership] Less body weight means better fuel economy. We buy more at Wal-Mart and Costco to save money and try not to buy things [food items] that will be thrown away. We won't help you get Bio-fuel either because we don't frequent the greasy food places for that 15 lb bag of french fries. I like my coffee at home; That $7.50 a day Star-bucks, or whatever daily fancy treat your addicted to will buy plenty of fuel to tow your Airstream. When you buy something, Do I want it? or, Do I need it? Just this thought will save you lots of money. We need to rethink our priorities and maybe the gas prices will help us in the long run.

These are my opinions and not meant to hurt anyones feelings. But fuel costs, for me, will be compensated elsewhere in my life style.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
My sister, who lives in Italy, pays $7.50 a gallon.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
ROBERTSUNRUS:

Well said, Most of us spend way too much on our habits of eating out and 4 dollar starbucks. Most of us can find a way to cut back on wasteful habits. It is just unfortunate that so many will never realize the adventure a family could of had if it were not for exspensive gas.

The reasons for exspensive gas in Europe are far different than the reasons our fuel is going up. Most of thier gas cost is taxes. I just fear that We might be loosing some independence when we rely so heavy on foreign countrys for our necessities regardless (not just crud ) of cost. We could be refining more of our own oil but we don't. Who really knows? For sure not the American public.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote