Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
first I camped outside, free and wild...then my sister came along with all her stuff!!

...and we got an Airstream!!!!! life's a breeze in the shining kennel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	33331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1223.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	33332  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	33333  
Old 03-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
I started with tent camping, then added air mattresses (hard ground, NEVER again!), then "graduated" to an enclosed trailer car-hauler (still on the air mattress). Brad came along and we got a 20' 1976 Coachmen Class C that he lived in full-time for a year while he worked in Arkansas and I lived in Dallas. We upgraded him to a 27' 1983 Winnebago Brave ("It has ROOMS!"), which he lived in another 1 1/2 years, until I moved to Arkansas (we couldn't afford the Airstream MH on the lot when we bought the Winne). We still have the Brave (and need to sell it), but couldn't pass up our 310 when we recently found it.

Brad's family started off with four kids and two parents in a little (14'?) Go-Lite travel trailer.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #103
_

. , .

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Tent camped in Boy Scouts in the 60's. Deer hunted out of a large canvas tent owned by a friend in the 70's. Got my own Eureka dome tent to camp and hunt out of in the early 80's. Was tired of a leaking tent and tying up guidelines in my underwear at 3 a.m. in blinding rain storm so bought a Cabela's Guide Tent in the early '90's and still use it every once in awhile (No, won't sell it, great tent). Bought the '77 Excella 500 in 2001. Bought the '86 Sovereign 25' in March, 2005 and love it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
We're kinda going the other way. Started with a 47' boat. Then a 40' boat. Then a 38' triple slide MH. Now have a 26' AS.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #106
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A lot of similar stories. My parents would never think of camping. Looking back, I think my mother became agoraphobic as she got older except for traveling by car so long as my father drove. He never even took a vacation until he was 37—don't work, no money coming in. He was obviously affected by the Depression.

In my mid 30's, I was involved with a woman who loved hiking and camping and that's when I discovered I wanted to be in the Colorado wilderness as much as possible. We had a cheap tent, heavy cloth sleeping bags and I had a borrowed backpack. We froze at night in those sleeping bags at 11,000' in early July, but we did bring Jack Daniels so we didn't care so much. I got a really memorable sunburn, not realizing how intense the sun is at altitude. She moved on—to NYC of all places—and I moved to Colorado exactly 30 years ago.

I got a better tent and sleeping bag and basic camping equipment, learned to cross country ski, ruining my knees, but I didn't know it yet. I did a lot of skiing and backpacking in the '80's. Carrying heavy packs further damaged my knees, and by then I began to notice it. When I met Barb, we continued to backpack to some amazing places in Colorado, but by 1990, my right knee couldn't take it anymore. I did have a '78 Microbus I got in a trade in '85—fastest Microbus ever made, but leaked oil like a VW engine (what terrible engines they made in those days—no wonder they were cheap). We camped in that sometimes, but it didn't really suit us.

In 1990 we bought a basic Nissan pickup and took that all over. We especially explored Canyonlands and other areas of southern Utah. So we truck camped, but could get into remote areas. I missed hiking through wilderness because it rejuvenates and is so peaceful. That Nissan was a great truck and I drove it until '99 when I sold it it with 145,000 miles and had spent only about $300 on it. It would go anywhere. We were so cheap then I put in an aftermarket radio and we didn't get air conditioning. After driving in New Mexico when it was 100˚ we decided to never buy a vehicle without air again.

In the '90's, the ground started to get harder and the tent seemed to be shrinking. So we bought a Coleman air mattress and a big tent we could stand up in. More and more goodies—a big Coleman camp stove replaced the little backpacking stove, for example. The air mattress lasted a year and kept developing holes and the patch kit supplied didn't work. For a while Coleman's main office was in Denver. I brought the damn mattress into the office and dumped it on a secretary's desk. She was surprised! They found me another one to get rid of me.

The ground continued to get harder even with a badly made air mattress and my knee didn't get any better. We bought a new Tundra in '02 and a camper specially made for it (light construction) with a wet bathroom. The company that made it wasn't far north from Denver (but we were 250 miles west). When we got it, we found quality control was terrible and we found it hard to fit into. It was made for people 5'2'' and weighing 95 lbs. each. I had to fix all sorts of things and the air bags were installed improperly and one blew out within a week. They sent me new ones and I had to re-install each one properly. After some legal threats, they agreed to take it back, though we had to take a loss of some money. Good riddance and I never wanted to see an RV of any sort again.

We like old things (each other most of all). We collect old (and new) Navajo weavings, buy reproduction Mission style furniture, have Art Deco and Art Nouveau lamps, reproduction Air Deco light fixtures (made in China of all places, but they look pretty good and are a lot cheaper), had a 1919 cabin when we lived in Evergreen, but a lot newer log house now—log cabin of sorts, but a lot more modern.

So when my wife confessed her desire for an Airstream and her growing hatred of motels, I had to do something, and did. We discussed buying a vintage one but neither of us wanted a restoration job. I restored and also modernized when necessary that 1919 cabin, and have finished this log house (pretty much, more to do). I didn't want to take on any other restorations and remodels. I thought of a recent model that someone hardly used because they didn't like it, but didn't want to search for that one, tow it from somewhere far away not knowing what I was really getting, and realized a 3 or 4 year old one cost about as much as a new one figuring the discount I could get from a dealer. I love negotiating with dealers and can usually get them to my price. I'm retired, but still a lawyer at heart.

I still miss the wilderness. My knee was fixed a couple of years ago and I can walk very fast in a straight line on a flat surface, but hiking on trails is not like that. There's not enough cartledge left (I can't even spell it right) and I want to avoid getting a new artificial knee.

So I have to content myself with sleeping in my own bed, eating ice cream in the desert, watching HD TV, eating the wonderful meals Barb prepares, using a real toilet instead of squatting in the woods, and taking showers that are always hot. Life is tough traveling with our "retrotube". Hmmm, Barb wants to name it and it seems like women like to do that. Maybe that's one I could live with.

What I would like is Dr. Who's Tardis technology. The Tardis is bigger on the inside than the outside. Outside it looks like a British phone booth. It travels through time and space. I could camp in the wilderness. There's never any problem with power, water or sewer. Until then, I'll have to suffer with the Safari which I intend to have forever, or until I get the Tardis. Making such plans is always dangerous, so who knows what will make sense in five years—is there an assisted living Airstream model?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #107

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Great story!

Gene, that was great! Thanks for posting.

Craig
Old 04-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Start em young!

My parents took all seven children (in our 56 cadillac limo towing a 17' winnebago.) camping all summer from LI, NY all over the west. I was 12 and hooked on camping. 67 westfalia vw bus, converted blue bird school bus, coachman class c, elite 34' tag axle beast class a, and finally an AS.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #109
_

. , .

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
how we started

after we got married, we inherited from my grandparents their tioga motorhome. We cleaned the inside up, new floor covering, new cushions, drapes, paint, cleaned up overall but not a total reno.... Was on dodge chassis, but was so worn out mechanically we were always worried leaving the house whether it would make it to the camp site, the worried the whole camping time that the thing might not make it home. It sat for two seasons, then on the way back from the beach (hotel camping) Megan said "maybe we should sell the motorhome and get a trailer". We came back, we'd always talked about how nice airstreams were, and got on craigslist, listed the motorhome, sold it in a couple days, and drove down to Battle Ground Washington and picked up our 69 tradewind and started the reno....

Here's the beauty we sold to make this all possible.... (yep, it is all her fault)
Attached Images

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Our Airstream came to us...just walked up and it was there! But before we were living here and living there, couldn't stand apartments, motels etc. and this Airstream was the perfect way out, I knew they were sought after creations, so we jumped on it. Beforehand we were traveling artists (still are) and I can't wait to get on out there further! And enjoy the freedom.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #112
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Airstream is the Only Way To Go

Our first experience camping was in a tent over the 4th of July weekend 1969. The party ended with a tornado and the tent and most of our gear (and almost me) blown into Dillon Lake. So much for tent camping.

Later, much later, we started going to northern Indiana for events held by the ASSRA (American Single Shot Rifle Association). The club grounds have electric and water hookups for camping and since the nearest motels are 20 minutes away camping became a more viable option. Luckily no lakes, but a tent was out of the equation. We went through two VW Eurovan campers before we found a 2002 22' International Airstream.

Bliss insued followed by the need, want, desire, covet more room. Enter the 28' Safari SE. Our camping experiences have expanded to several cross country excursions and include stops at Stugis, Burning Man, Las Vegas and the Winfield Blue Grass music festival and all points in between. Starting next year we intend to spend even more time out and about. We will start with the Can Opener rally and a few weeks in the Keys then where ever the whim takes us!

Corky and Claudia
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
My grandparents camped in their Airstreams some prior to and a lot after their retirement. My brothers and I grew up camping with them and enjoyed every minute of time we had with them and also the love of the outdoors we developed through these experiences.
When our kids came along I had the desire to share the same experiences with them. We found a 1975 31' Land Yacht, restored it and used it for a couple of years before selling it and getting our 34 which we have had for about 3 years and plan to keep indefinitely.
We thoroughly enjoy the time we spend in our Airsteam although limited to a few weeks a year and the occasional weekend jaunt since we are still part of the working crowd but I am confident my girls will have the same fond memories and hopefully do the same with their own children some day.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Tent when the kids were in diapers!

VW Westphalia camper when they were a bit bigger.

20' Sprite light weight trailer (Brit design, 3000# wt) when they were bigger still

Hiatus for a number of years when the kids didn;t want to camp anymore.

27' Award (Another Brit light weight design) when I retired.

AS Classic 30 when the Award got to be a money pit.

Next? I like the looks /features of the new "Earthbound" TT, but at ptresent they don't make a layout that really suits us plus I'd like to wait a bit and see if they survive.

For now, we've only had the AS for a year. No significant problems yet and really liking it.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Before we camped in our Airstream..........

We vacationed on large boats! Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean boats. Usually twice a year. But we haven't cruised since we purchased our trailer 11 months ago. We are just having too much fun!
The airstream is our first RV of any kind.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Awesome thread !

Tent camped my entire life, I have my parents to thank for the camping bug! Oh what fun we had, the hardest part was the day we had to pack up and come home because it always meant school on monday : (

Met husband and introduced him to camping, found out he is a way better camper than I, we were tired of sleeping in tents on the ground, and grew out of hotels and motels and wanted our own bed to sleep in when traveling.

Bought the Tradewind just last Thanksgiving and cannot wait to go on our 1st trip with the wee ones this spring!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I never camped until 1990 when my wife and I attended the EAA Oshkosh. One week beside our plane in our small Camel tent. We did have the comfort of an air matress, which had a leak, and had to be pumped a couple of times each night. Although it rained every night it was a wonderful experience. For the next 10 years we repeated this routin at Oshkosh.

Ten years ago we purchased a 1977 Argosy, then an Airstream and have never looked back.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
long, strange trip...

Grew up with a father that sold SOB's, had campsites. One couple had an airstream. Loved it. Over the years, rented, used moho's and tented, etc.
Last year, the wife and I took the plunge on our camper.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I started out when i got my license at 20. A couple of Dodge Aspen station wagons with pillows & blankets. Then 2 S-10 pickups with a cap. Used a blowup matress with the pillows & blankets. At age 39, met the love of my life. At 43 we sold the 2 houses & 4 cars, then bought a '89 classic MH. Been fulltiming in it eversince.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #120
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Ok.. this is a cool thread.

Our first trailer (I was maybe 5 years old) was a 1956 Mercury canned ham.
Folks stepped up to a 74' Holidaire 23'
That trailer was passed onto me as I moved into it just after high school.
Then it gets crazy... Im an RV nut.

1965 Aristocrat lo-liner 16'
1968 Aristocrat land yacht 20'
1971 Nomad something.. 22'
Theres one in here that I cant remember..
1990 Terry resort 5th wheel 25'
1997 Mallard trailer 20'
1996 Weekender 11.5' cabover camper
2001 Arctic fox 11.5 cabover camper with slide out (heavy)
1996 Aljo travel trailer (remarried and starting over)
2004 Winnebago class c motorhome. (still have and currently rent out)

Finally the airstream. Thats what I really always wanted but could never convince the other half...

2001 Classic S/O

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote