Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Bedroom Storage or Panoramic Windows?

One reason I chose the 30RB Serenity was the extra storage on each side of the bed. And now another reason.
Last night, backed into a slip at a T/A Truck Stop, I had the woods outside my rear window. And without getting out to undo anything, as for example is required in a FB, I had an open window at my head with fresh air.

I happen to enjoy occasionally the rumble of Diesel engines all night, seems to help me sleep. And the advantage of the fresh air 50 feet away from the exhaust pipes is one more advantage of a rear bed.

So, anyone who wants to discuss the pros and cons of the front or rear beds/ the pano windows or more storage, or even suggest that Jackson Center needs to offer a Classic with the extra storage and delete the rear pano window, well here is a place to do this.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My older Classic has a regular window and wardrobes. While I understand the benefits of a rear pano with LIVING areas in the rear, IMO, it is wasted on a rear bedroom, excludes valuable storage options and provides for a greater leak/maintenance "opportunity". I wouldn't want panos on a rear BR Airstream.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hmmm - we have front and rear panos in our FB. On a cool night with a breeze, having both open is a real treat...I'm happy with them and frankly, more storage means I'm going to be storing more stuff :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Off topic?

I have the wrap around vista windows up front. It is difficult to black them out when you want to sleep late.

I may be wrong but I have heard that Argosys were the first to try out the wrap around windows.

Don't get me started on storage. Ever camp with women? The dogs were like…"Where the heck do we lay down !!!!"
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'm probably in the minority, but I very much prefer the storage option in the bedroom as we have on our Classic 30.

In our case, I don't think we have ever even opened the curtains in the bedroom as we are only in there at night time. And we certainly do make use of the storage. (Although I agree we probably take more than we need to!)

But also I find that having all the cabinets around the head of the bed along with both the reading lights and the side lights gives a very pleasant and cosy feel to the bedroom - sort of makes me thing of being in a bedroom at sea or maybe on the Orient Express! Just something that appeals to me.

I know that many other people find the pano windows much preferable and for them no doubt they see the advantages of that option.

For me however, I was disappointed to see that the arrangement we have is no longer available on a new Classic 30 - guess we'll be keeping what we have for now.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have extensive camping experience in Airtreams with both panoramic and standard end windows. My preference is to have the panoramic window in the living/dinette area, and a standard window in the bedroom area.

Our camping style is such that were rarely, if ever, open the curtains in the bedroom. Accordingly, the panoramic window in the bedroom does not offer us any advantage. All this window does is decrease the insulation area in our bedroom. As we prefer the front bedroom twin configuration, a standard front window would not provide any additional storage.

We also prefer the outside look of the standard end windows. The panoramic windows are somehow reminiscent of a rolling Darth Vader helmet.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I like that Darth look 😜
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
27FB with Storage Closets and No Pano Window in Bedroom

We have one of the few 27FB's that were built without the panoramic window in the bedroom. Our trailer has the closets on either side of the bed. We love the extra hanging storage in the upper closets and use the lower closets for shoes and for storing our space heater. Another benefit of the standard window in the bedroom is that the bedroom is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I dunno, I have a 27FB and there is fresh air on both sides of the bed, via the two popout windows. :P
Old 05-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like our rear bed but diesel sound without the exhaust is a pretty weak argument in its favor, I would suggest the fantastic fan vent opening instead for convenience and you set the fan for a little more air movement if you like a little noise.

I also like our panos front and rear, really opens up the trailer. We sit in our front recliners looking back and it's pleasant to look right through the Airstream and out the windows beyond (when the view is worthwhile). Sleeping there is like sleeping under the stars, relaxing. Or the extra storage is excellent too. You can't go wrong here.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If the curtains are closed there no reason for the panos. Unless you just like the look from the outside. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Reasons...

Maybe it is a minimal reason, away from the diesel exhausts, but whatever...LOL

It sounds as though a lot of folks are saying the curtains remain closed in the bedroom, so pano windows offer little. And the storage, yes, great.

Did I mention, comments about traveling with a woman....forbidden on this thread....

Just kidding.....

OK, Jackson Center, are you listening? An option on the new Classic, or any front bed, so as to give the closets and no pano window...???
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I believe I recall Andrew T. at Can-Am Airstream posting he would order an Airstream with rear shirt lockers rather than pano windows if you wanted it.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
It sounds as though a lot of folks are saying the curtains remain closed in the bedroom, so pano windows offer little. And the storage, yes, great.
From an aesthetics point of view, which of these feels more open and airy

I can see how useful the storage can be personally. But one of the reasons I love Airstream's is that they feel so open and bigger even though they lack the slide out's of other TT's. Even with the curtains closed, if you've got the factory curtains, light is bleeding thru and with more natural light, I suspect the room with the Pano's looks bigger than the one with the rear storage. It's all perception of course.

At least, this is a personal theory.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:00 AM   #15

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Santa rosa , California
I'm a newbie and Cannot Wait to get out there!! Personally, i much prefer windows everywhere, bringing the outside in.
The white curtins are kinda ugly, any ideas??
Mumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
To me, it's no contest.

The windows.......imagine the views out those windows.

Beaches, forests, prairie.....it will all be spectacular.

Maggie
Old 06-02-2015, 05:25 AM   #17
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Going from a 25' Classic twin to the 30 Classic queen my biggest complaint is not the inside storage, for us it is more than ample, and we love the way it looks. I miss the storage under the twins, and the slide out compartment in the rear. The rear storage area in the new Classic is huge, but very hard to access, and the area that is covered by the "lids" isn't very practical either. We removed the lids so we could load and access that area without unloading everything. And, it was the only way we could carry our Weber Q. The new Classic might have more cu ft of storage (in the rear compartment), but our old Classic was easier to pack, access and I thought held more. We have been creative and think we have arranged everything to be easy to get to, but we will miss the slide out storage when it is raining and we are packing up. We are just getting ready to hit the road for 3 weeks, so I will have a better feel when we get back, but all the pluses far outweigh the minuses. One major gripe is the size of the shower, must of had Twiggy design that.
rbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I very much prefer the storage option in the bedroom as we have on our Classic 30.

In our case, I don't think we have ever even opened the curtains in the bedroom as we are only in there at night time. And we certainly do make use of the storage. (Although I agree we probably take more than we need to!)

But also I find that having all the cabinets around the head of the bed along with both the reading lights and the side lights gives a very pleasant and cosy feel to the bedroom - sort of makes me thing of being in a bedroom at sea or maybe on the Orient Express! Just something that appeals to me.

I know that many other people find the pano windows much preferable and for them no doubt they see the advantages of that option.

For me however, I was disappointed to see that the arrangement we have is no longer available on a new Classic 30 - guess we'll be keeping what we have for now.

Brian.
I'm with Brian

>>ron<<
Old 06-02-2015, 06:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Being a solo female traveler with panos front and back I find that i keep the curtains closed in the bedroom most of the time. Sometimes in the day they are open but always closed in the eves..no one wants to feel like your putting on a show when dressing/sleeping. For the next trailer im leaning towards the bedroom single window with the side wardrobes.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote