Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Smile Any stories why you got into airstreaming?

I have a big one the airstream I am renovation rite now was used my my grandfather when he came up to New hampshire to visit for the summer from Florida. My dad bought it for him to give him some freedom but keep him close to us I still remember visiting him at 6 am while he was eating breakfast which was toast and coffee . Well my Grandfather died @15 years ago and my father closed up the trailer for that 15 years wrapped in a cacoon. Well four years ago my father passed away and something was calling me to open that trailer up and air it out . Well I did and when I did it smelled so bad like dead animals . It seems that the electrical mice deterant had been disconnected and the mice had made home of the trailer. Well first though was lets bring out in front of house and give it a good looking . I did that and I was so upset the mice had allmost destroyed the trailer with feces and nests. Well I was about to put trailer back into the back yard when as I was walking out the front door with no smell of mice urine I smelt toast and coffee like it was being made rite there and then turned around and like a breeze it filled my lungs. My friends if that was not a sign from the other side I dont know what was and from that point on I have be renovating this 1977 Airstream Landyaht international sovereign .

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
I have a big one the airstream I am renovation rite now was used my my grandfather when he came up to New hampshire to visit for the summer from Florida. My dad bought it for him to give him some freedom but keep him close to us I still remember visiting him at 6 am while he was eating breakfast which was toast and coffee . Well my Grandfather died @15 years ago and my father closed up the trailer for that 15 years wrapped in a cacoon. Well four years ago my father passed away and something was calling me to open that trailer up and air it out . Well I did and when I did it smelled so bad like dead animals . It seems that the electrical mice deterant had been disconnected and the mice had made home of the trailer. Well first though was lets bring out in front of house and give it a good looking . I did that and I was so upset the mice had allmost destroyed the trailer with feces and nests. Well I was about to put trailer back into the back yard when as I was walking out the front door with no smell of mice urine I smelt toast and coffee like it was being made rite there and then turned around and like a breeze it filled my lungs. My friends if that was not a sign from the other side I dont know what was and from that point on I have be renovating this 1977 Airstream Landyaht international sovereign .
Oh and I have named the trailer Seamus one of my dad's favorate names.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I was a few blocks away from the World Trade Center when the towers were struck on 911. I was in a meeting and we evacuated the building to come out to the street and see the towers in flames, my military training kicked in and I grabbed the 24 year old kid I was with and told him it was time to get the hell out of there and do it now. We walked all over Manhattan and by the end of the day he couldn't walk anymore but I was still ready to go. I had a lot of time to think and I knew that I need a way to leave my home and take my family with me to safety. When I returned home I purchased a 68 Globetrotter and restored it and used it to Evacuate for 2 Hurricanes, Katrina being the major one. Shortly after Katrina my mother-in-law moved in with us so I sold the Globetrotter and purchased my current 25' Safari to use for Evacuations, it was used last year for Gustav. In addition to an escape pod the Airstream serves as a vacation home, pool house, guest house, storage shed, and flag holder.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Wow great story..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
I was a few blocks away from the World Trade Center when the towers were struck on 911. I was in a meeting and we evacuated the building to come out to the street and see the towers in flames, my military training kicked in and I grabbed the 24 year old kid I was with and told him it was time to get the hell out of there and do it now. We walked all over Manhattan and by the end of the day he couldn't walk anymore but I was still ready to go. I had a lot of time to think and I knew that I need a way to leave my home and take my family with me to safety. When I returned home I purchased a 68 Globetrotter and restored it and used it to Evacuate for 2 Hurricanes, Katrina being the major one. Shortly after Katrina my mother-in-law moved in with us so I sold the Globetrotter and purchased my current 25' Safari to use for Evacuations, it was used last year for Gustav. In addition to an escape pod the Airstream serves as a vacation home, pool house, guest house, storage shed, and flag holder.
Thanks Jim for Sharing..

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 05-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
two great stories! mine is very boring in comparison. about 5 years ago we met friends down in the everglades and we camped in our tent beside their airstream. we liked the airstream a lot more than our soggy tent! when we were expecting a family we decided we needed a travel trailer and started looking at pop ups we could tow with our vw. Somehow though, don't ask me how, we ended up with a 34' airstream and a 3/4 ton truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cormorant.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	80199  
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Any story's why you got into airstreaming?

Some of my earliest memories include summer visits to my mother's family farm where we would often find friends of the family camping in their Airstream. Those early experiences linked camping and RVing to only one brand Airstream. Then, to make the linkage even more ingrained, our friends invited me to spend a weekend with them when they were trying out their new 1964 Airstream Overlander -- it was late spring in 1964, and I was five years old.

Over the years, my family tried many different forms of camping and RVing. Nothing tried ever compared to Airstreaming. Finally, in 1995, I began searching in earnest for an Airstream. Looked at the new coaches, but didn't find a single floorplan that I liked in my price range. The search then turned to pre-owned. After nearly six months of searching, I ran across a 1964 28' Airstream travel trailer advertised in a local trader publication. The coach was like stepping into a 1964 time capsule -- less than two hours later, I was writing a deposit check and making arrangements to pick the coach up in two weeks. A few months later, I learned that the coach was the same one that our friends had purchased new -- I am its third owner.

My 1964 Overlander in the setting where we first became acquainted -- on my mother's family farm in 1968.

The 1969 Chevrolet C-20 Pickup with 1969 Sunway Truck-Camper that was my family's introduction to RVing in the spring of 1969.

My first travel trailer -- a 1980 Skyling Nomad Model 1720 lightweight special being towed by my 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 Convertible in 1981 at the Cloud Nine Ranch in Caufield, MO.

My 1964 Overlander as it appeared when I purchased it in 1995.

My 1964 Overlander as it appears today with the P & S Trailer Service treatment to return it to its 1964 appearance.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
I do remember camping with my dads 17 foot Caravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
Oh and I have named the trailer Seamus one of my dad's favorate names.
That trailer was my first true experience with airstreams and camping. That is parked at my folks weekend camp. It is in great shape just needs some TLC . I might use that this year to give the kids a idea what it is all about. Well will see I need to devote more time to the sovereign though there is not enough time to do these things but I make time.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 05-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Some of my earliest memories include summer visits to my mother's family farm where we would often find friends of the family camping in their Airstream. Those early experiences linked camping and RVing to only one brand Airstream. Then, to make the linkage even more ingrained, our friends invited me to spend a weekend with them when they were trying out their new 1964 Airstream Overlander -- it was late spring in 1964, and I was five years old.

Over the years, my family tried many different forms of camping and RVing. Nothing tried ever compared to Airstreaming. Finally, in 1995, I began searching in earnest for an Airstream. Looked at the new coaches, but didn't find a single floorplan that I liked in my price range. The search then turned to pre-owned. After nearly six months of searching, I ran across a 1964 28' Airstream travel trailer advertised in a local trader publication. The coach was like stepping into a 1964 time capsule -- less than two hours later, I was writing a deposit check and making arrangements to pick the coach up in two weeks. A few months later, I learned that the coach was the same one that our friends had purchased new -- I am its third owner.

My 1964 Overlander in the setting where we first became acquainted -- on my mother's family farm in 1968.

The 1969 Chevrolet C-20 Pickup with 1969 Sunway Truck-Camper that was my family's introduction to RVing in the spring of 1969.

My first travel trailer -- a 1980 Skyling Nomad Model 1720 lightweight special being towed by my 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 Convertible in 1981 at the Cloud Nine Ranch in Caufield, MO.

My 1964 Overlander as it appeared when I purchased it in 1995.

My 1964 Overlander as it appears today with the P & S Trailer Service treatment to return it to its 1964 appearance.

Kevin
Great story I only seem to remember great times with the airstreams and great memorys. I can't wait to get my Sovereign all up and running

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
strongsville , Ohio
My first experience with an Airstream. I was a lab tech and back in the 60's my lab was being remodled. The Pathologist owned an Airstream which he converted into a lab in the parking lot. Oh , I never had a job like that ever again. Lots of sweaters got knitted, lots of cards were played and lots of books were read.
manchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
My brother Brad and his wife Julie restored a beautiful 1959 Trade Wind and brought it all the way to Iowa from Arizona for a family reunion. I was so impressed with the craftsmanship in the work they did and that this Airstream was worthy of all of this time, love and attention in it's restoration was not lost on me. Years later I was lucky enough to come across a vintage Airstream and Brad consulted with me on it and also ever since. It has brought us closer together too as we talk weekly about our shared passion for aluminum! Thanks brother.
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62-Lander View Post
My brother Brad and his wife Julie restored a beautiful 1959 Trade Wind and drove it all the way to Iowa from Arizona. I was so impressed with the craftsmanship in the work they did and that an Airstream was worthy of all of this time, love and attention was not lost on me. Years later I was lucky enough to come across a vintage Airstream and Brad consulted with me on it and also ever since. It has brought us closer together too as we talk weekly about our shared passion for aluminum! Thanks brother.
Interesting enough, the same guy got me into the Airstream world as well. Brad and I have been members of the same Fly Fishing Club for many years. Several years ago on one of our club outings (Cyclone Lake), he shows up with his 59 TW. Jan and I get the tour and we are sold. Brad also help me select the 75 TW that I now own.

Thanks Brad!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
My wife's aunt and uncle took delivery of the '59 Tradewind new 50 years, 4 months and six days ago. This summer I hope we can reprise her trip to Yellowstone 50 years ago.

It's not a 50th Anniversary Cape (Town) to Cairo excursion, but we'll enjoy it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
My story isn't nearly as interesting as the others, but it's important to me and it has changed my life. My husband had always wanted an Airstream. I didn't get it. I had never owned a trailer, never been in a trailer, and didn't want a trailer...until I stepped foot in one earlier this year. Shortly thereafter, we sold almost everything and hit the road. My husband works from the road and I blog about our experiences and travels. I've never been happier. In fact, I feel guilty for enjoying life so much right now. I don't know how long we'll do this but this opportunity has been outstanding. I can't believe I resisted the Airstream for as long as I did. What was I thinking?!?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Suppose I better chime in here since I've been mentioned twice. I was asked if i wanted to go on a weekend fishing trip with a friend of mine in his vintage Airstream. I had known Jim through our flyfishing club but hadn't been to his place. When he mentioned traveling with his vintage '60 Airstream TradeWind, I was stoked. On the way home, I told him that I just had to get one of these. I liked the size, the layout and especially the kewlness factor. I found one through the internet in mid 2001 and went out to central CA to look at it. After a couple of days discussing it with my DW, we made the purchase. Jim offered to drive out and pick it up as I didn't have a tow vehicle. I took him up on his generous offer and here's a pic of its trip home.

This is my first trailer and have always enjoyed camping but since leaving home, had used mostly tents and then got a mini-van to sleep in. Let me tell you, this was a serious upgrade and I have loved every minute of it. Plus Airstreamers are the friendliest people and that was a bonus.

Brad
FF

P.S.: Barry - you're most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojave Desert 1.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	84994  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Perhaps I should have posted my quote below in this thread. I moved up from my beloved box, to camping in my family's giant canvas tent on vacations, then on to my own Junior sized tent on kid's outings, grew up and became a backpacking guide in the Sierras with a light freestanding tent, then decades later, I stopped for coffee one day at Starbucks and came home with my 1966 Airstream Tradewind........

It is Thursday and I love my Airstream because...

When I woke up this morning it brought back a memory of when I was in third grade, I found an empty refrigerator box somewhere and dragged it back home to the backyard. I laid it on it's side, then stole one of my mom's big knives out of the kitchen and proceeded to install windows all around. Next I smuggled one of mom's old dresses from the closet, cut off a wide strip at the bottom and then cut again into sections to fashion miniature curtains. I gathered sticks around the yard and threaded them through the hem area, then taped the sticks above the windows as curtain hangers. I cut a large one to fasten to the end of the box to serve as my entry door.

As to what possessed me to do all this, I have no idea, but I do remember spending hours in there with my books, reading away on my makeshift blanket bed, propped up with all the pillows absconded from everyone's beds, in total comfort. I even brought my pet parakeet in there for company and made a little perch for him by putting another stick through two sides of a corner of the box.

Now here I lay, once again, in total comfort with my books all over the bed, in a large (though well rounded) box in my backyard many years later and thinking to myself, "Is this so cool!" The parakeet, God rest him, is gone, but my two black labs are excellent company...........

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
My family started Airstreaming in 1963...many trailers have gone by but we still have our original WBCCI numbers. I was also lucky enough to grow up in the Jackson Center area with many of my friends Dad's working at the factory. I still live within a half an hour of Jackson Center which makes it really nice when I need a part.
Tom
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Start Me

I never even knew Airstream made a MH.
Was spending too much time repairing the old SOB, and I was not gaining ground.
Was seriously looking at the GMCs from the 70s, and saw a Airstream on Ebay.
Just looking so I thought...a few weeks after just looking, I was on my way to pick one up.
Thinking back, it was an intense few weeks, gathering all the information about Airstream MH I could find.
Really lucked out getting a '89, as it has most of the features I wanted.

Even though I'm still making repairs/improvements, its much more fun.

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
That is one gorgeous motorhome.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
When I retired from working in Chicago, living on my sailboat in Chicago and Annapolis I moved to Florida. Sold my boats and my Class A and purchased a very nice Manufactured Home. After a few years I was bored - started looking for another sailboat . . . settled for a '68 25' Tradewind that needed everything done to it. That was 11/08. Hired some helpers and worked daily on the baby. Put my house up for sale - it sold in less than 2 days (didn't think it would sell for a long time) . . . with no place to live I moved to the Tradewind. I love it and have no plans on leaving my comfortable and compact home.

I'm looking forward to receiving the title so that I can get plates and start traveling around and meeting you all.

My Tradewind had set in a front yard for over 18 years, bushes and trees had grown up all around her and she had sat in the Florida there so long she was up to her frame in the dirt. It was a very sad state of affairs. By the way, I saw her for the first time and purchsed her the first day I saw her at 8:45 pm (dark outside) full of cardboard boxes full of junk inside. Need I say more? Ten months later . . . so fine.
Airstream Judy
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
My parents owned a motorhome (a BlueBird) when we were younger. When I was in 2nd grade we did a cross country trip, all six of us (4 kids, ages 10-4). My mom wanted to plan every day, every campsite; my dad was more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of guy. He bought a white water raft in glacier national park where we ended up spending two weeks longer than originally planned.

In 1995 when my brother graduated from college, they actually let us borrow the motorhome. We drove from Baltimore, to Nashville, to Boise, pretty much non stop, taking turns driving (with the same whitewater raft from glacier and three kayaks) and we spent most of the time around McCall, ID on different sections of the payette river. My son (our first) is a week old today, and it's hard to picture me giving him the airstream with a bunch of his college buddies for a couple weeks, but I'll have to wait and see how the next 22 years play out.

Then two years ago, i tried to take my dog and girlfriend camping. I love tent camping (growing up we used to fight over who could sleep in the tent at each campground instead of the motorhome). I've also done lots of overnight backpacking since high school. So first trip after moving to denver, I forgot the tent poles (they were in Baltimore and didn't make it with the tent on the move). Second trip, I discover to my dismay that it's my girlfriend's first time peeing in the woods?? And, the dog barks at every little noise and wakes us up more often than this new baby.

I guess it's hard to tell your airstream story without telling your whole life story. I always knew I wanted a camper or motorhome, and having a trailer seemed cheaper overall. I looked at a few other brands (SOBs) and even though way more expensive just couldn't get interested in anything but an Airstream. And I'm just glad I'm extremely slow at making decisions otherwise I'd have ended up with a 16 or 19 footer which would have been too small. We're very happy with the purchase (only regret is not looking at something a year or two old). looking forward to many happy years and trips to come.
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote