Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Pickin' chair

While sitting (on a box) under the West Texas starry sky last week end, surrounded by some great pickers, out of the darkness came a woeful sound. Somhow a banjo picker had sneaked in his concertinas ( I perfer to call it a squeeze box) and really did a nice job. He was from Alabama. We fogave him for these many transgressions.....banjo, concertina, Alabama.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Delton , Michigan
An odd mix

I play a bit of Guitar ('63 Gibson Tenor Sunburst), Japanese Bamboo Flute and Digeridoo.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #83
Rivet Master

I came back again to visit my thread.

WOW! It looks like we have a quite a few muscians among us....... and some banjo players too! ( just kidding, banjo players always get teased )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
I need a source for heavy duty, quality, whatever we call it...not flimsey... "armless" folding camp chairs. Something a guitar, mandolin or (God help us) a banjo player could sit it while playing. Wal Mart ones don't meet the quals.
Anybody got a source?
Take a look at this chair.
The Guitar Chair - It's All About Performance!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
canny can no do...LOL !

I read that Mandolindave....LOL, How U doin... NO I can't play a banjo YET, but... there's ALWAYS a BUT... I can bang a Drum, ting a Triangle, blow a Whistle, Clash Cymbals... & most of all, Play the SILENT Guitar... Not 2B confused with AIR-Guitar... LOL... U C...it's... the fact My D/W... says it's NOT goood 4 Me 2 learn... I say I want 2 get a MELODICA... it will help Me with My breathin & build up My lungs & hopefuly ease My asthma... BUT tryin 2 convince Her...well it's a long winded affair...LOL...Chris.....
Old 10-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Arden , North Carolina
I play jazz organ or the one and only Hammond B3 with a Leslie 122 speaker. It would be kinda hard to put it in my Overlander though!
AirstreamCSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #87
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSI
I play jazz organ or the one and only Hammond B3 with a Leslie 122 speaker. It would be kinda hard to put it in my Overlander though!
OMG! I do so wish you lived in Austin! B3 w/ Leslie's is exactly what we're looking for. We've been working on some stuff by the Meters and how sweet that B3 is... not jazz but real cool funk. Got alot of synthesizer players.... but no real deal.

Hey, any of y'all going to be in Branson for the A/S rally this coming weekend (10/12-14th)? Bringin' a snare & cymbal and wanting to stir the soup...

Maybe sometime coming up, we can do a musicians Airstream rally at Palo Duro Canyon (Canyon-Amarillo, TX)? The west Texas sky in that canyon is unbelievable at night! Somebody got a truckload of diamonds and threw 'em up into the sky! Water+elec. and a dump station.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Horn players...

Liz and I are both woodwind players. I was playing clarinet and sax in an Army Band when we met back in 1985. She's a professional musical instrument repair technician by trade (same gig for about 30 years!), and a heck of a good clarinet player. She still plays a lot, mostly with the Monclair NJ Community Band, whereas my chops have fallen by the way side. 10 years of full time playing for Uncle Sam and another 5 as a reservist burned me out. I do pull out my alto clarinet every once in a while and play with that group, but not as often as I'd like.

About 10 years ago, I fronted my own 17 piece big band (I played keys with that one). I was a music comp major at Berklee before going into the Army, so I put the training to use by writing 90% of the book for the band. I found out the hard way that running a big band and having a full time job are mutually exclusive endeavours. I wound up selling the band (yes, you can sell a band) to my bass player.

In all honesty, making my living via photography is more my style...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Everyone and his brother...

... plays guitar and me and my bro too since about 1959. Play 'em and build 'em too. All styles of music any key, an where, any time! Strictly by ear. Love it!
Frank
Texas Hill Country
Santart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Any Garage Band Users out there?

Anyone dabble in using Garage Band?

I have never really played in front of anyone except going through the Royal Conservatory system when I was young and into my teens - and the hubby may catch me once and a while. I gave up piano for sports. Hubby also traded my Gerard Heintzman in 18 years ago on a Rolland 1100 Digital Piano.

This summer following the Rivette Rally I was inspired for some reason to pick up playing a bit more than my usual once every 4-5 month 1/2 hour session and try my hand at recording something so that I could share my hidden hobby with some special Rivettes. With a bit of research and hours trying to find the right driver I managed to get the emu2 midi device and my little G4 powerbook along with GarageBand iLife 05 hooked up to the Rolland. And now I have no idea where my summer went

I think I mentioned when this thread was started way back - that I dropped playing by sheet music years ago and could not jam worth a dime in any genre. But I can play for hours - just notes and sounds that form melodies that just seem to come from the top of my head to fingers to keys and on the most part are just pleasant easy listening tunes of no name....(some call it "elevator" music

Couple of questions for any users or knowledgable music wizards out there - what would be the best program to convert my native Garage Band files to produce sheet music?? My problem with my music is I will sit and play something and never be able to play the same thing twice. I know with some effort I could read music again. I would actually like to "learn" what I spit out on the keyes....

And does anyone have any recommendation on which of the 5-6 MAC Jam Packs would be the best buy for variety?? I would like to expand my loop library beyond what GB 05 has to offer.

It is a lot of fun converting your own piano into all sorts of different instruments and messin with sound effects.... I never knew I could play guitar I have one too and got to lesson six last winter but then stopped - I need someone to show me more on that score - I just feel so uncoordinated trying to get my fingers around the neck
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
try this

I think it will work for what you want. For all you Guitar, Mandolin, Bass and (heaven forbid...) Banjo players this is an essential learning/playing tool.
TablEdit Tablature Editor -
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Matter of opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
I think it will work for what you want. For all you Guitar, Mandolin, Bass and (heaven forbid...) Banjo players this is an essential learning/playing tool.
TablEdit Tablature Editor -
It's not essential though it may be helpful.
I like banjo - when in the hands of the right musician.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #93
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santart
... plays guitar and me and my bro too since about 1959. Play 'em and build 'em too. All styles of music any key, an where, any time! Strictly by ear. Love it! Frank

So, maybe a Texas Musicians Airstream rally...?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
I'm up for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
So, maybe a Texas Musicians Airstream rally...?
Name the date and place. I'm in Kerrville. Anywhere else would be my choice or I would have to stay home.
Texas Hill Country
Old 11-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #95
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Hummm. On the Forums rally link, I asked if there were some folks interested in Ft. Davis (Davis Mtn. SP) and there seems to be some interest - thinking maybe Spring or Fall, '08... preferably Fall (Oct. - Nov.?). Cool stuff to do around there and music under the stars would be pretty neat. Bet we could get a caravan coming out of these parts...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSI
Oh, man. We needed you with your B3 at our Falluminum Rally in Hiawassee, GA several weeks ago. Perhaps a little unwieldy, but nothing equals the sound from a B3!

We had bass, drums (yours truly), rhythm and lead guitars - all part of our 2X Band (we play twice a year). We're actually pretty good - from about 1/2 mile away.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Hummm. On the Forums rally link, I asked if there were some folks interested in Ft. Davis (Davis Mtn. SP) and there seems to be some interest - thinking maybe Spring or Fall, '08... preferably Fall (Oct. - Nov.?). Cool stuff to do around there and music under the stars would be pretty neat. Bet we could get a caravan coming out of these parts...
Fall might be a bit cool. Ft. Davis is a great "beat the Texas Summer heat" place. Wonderfully cool in the Summer and not at all crowded. Up at McDonald observatory, it gets chiily even on summer nights. Daytime it can be 80 and suddenly drop to 60 in a matter of minutes. Mostly hovers around mid 70's when it is in 90's in San Antonio. Drops to 50's at night. Just grist for the mill. Maybe Fall is the only time y'all can get away.
Texas Hill Country
Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #98
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
The evenings in the fall can actually get down to the 30's making a fire to gather 'round a real treat... we've camped there in July & August and have found the days to be pretty hot - dry heat for sure vs. the humidity here, but still hot - AC was running all day (we had temps in the 100's). Windows & vent fans at night. Haven't been out there in the spring for a long time, usually go east or up in Oklahoma, so I don't recall what it was like then. Camped over Christmas holidays several times and have had the 'stream coated in some light snow one morning - melted by 11AM... civilized. Evenings were indeed... cold! Had the heat pump going during the day, furnace at nights.

So maybe September?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Too soon to say whether September will work for us, but the cold is not a problem after being stranded in a blizzard for two days last year up near Niagara. We did head south as soon as the roads were cleared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1724.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	49652  
Texas Hill Country
Old 12-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas