Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
It's never too late...and you have to be happy at whatever ability level you have...just enjoy that you are making music. To me it has always been a blessing to be able to play. It keeps your mind and heart in a good place.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
I've played rhythm guitar and vocals in a small band for 8 years. I have two Takamine accoustic/electric Santa Fe's, a '72 Strat and a 12 string rigged up to make a better sound through the PA. We've played in a lot of bars...seen lots of beverage-induced behavior, and had some great fun with the crowds. Started out as a "Tuesday Night Tractor Pull" where we all sat around and traded songs we knew or liked. I contend that the bar owners don't pay us to play...they pay us to schlepp all the equipment around. Sometimes it feels like working for United Van Lines. We've played (for the Az. streamers who might know these places) The Bird Cage in Prescott, The Alamo in Fountain Hills, AuntChiladas at Squaw Peak, ASU stadium for the Special Olympic participants. Did a gig in Wadell, BFE for a bunch of people who wondered out loud what the heck a piccollo player was doing in the group...she plays the flute. Ergo, we do about half covers and half our own songs. From Tull (flautist extraordinaire) to Dave Matthews, Stevie Ray Vaughn to Toad The Wet Sprocket. Did I mention Los Lonely Boys, The Doors, Moody Blues, and Bob Marley? Anyway, I enjoy sitting around and playing music with anybody. There are far better players than me, but I try to hit the right chord whenever possible. I'd be at the Four Corners Unit Rally, but had to do a C-section on the belly pan of the trailer today. Is there an astringent recommended for mouse droppings in nasty alumicuts?
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #63
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Ambie,

Just traded in My Takamine Sante Fe with blonde shell case for a Martin D20...I Loved My Tak but I have to admit this Martin is awesome!

Gene

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
I play an 1963 Federici Garcia classical guitar that belonged to my stepfather. not an expensive guitar, but it has a nice mellow sound. I also have a Johnson banjo that I looove to play Scruggs style!
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Terry (the better half of this combo) plaid a Gibson F15 Limited Addition (whatever that means) and an Ovation 12 string...but one needs explosives to get her going Thought about installling our old Korg M1 keyboard in the stream or tv..but if I play it would clear any park I do have a squeeze box...you really would not me playing that
Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have played pedal steel guitar semi-professionaly for 40 + years.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:39 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
I carry an acoustic with most of the time. A little 3/4 size is just right to keep in the trailer. My preferred and most proficient in electric bass. All self taught. Did the saxophone thing in school.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #68
calitrotter

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
guitarist

i have a taylor 414ce and an art and lutherie cedar parlor guitar, which is easier to travel with.
playing since 1969..

http://mikekitka.com
1963gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
alvarez yairi signature dreadnought
hammered dulcimer
harmonica

long for bango and mandolin (fat chance!)

had 8 years of piano which i hated but unfortunately was good at 3rd grade and all i wanted was guitar lessons *sigh* now i'm jsut self-taught and have never been able to strum much. a picker by nature.

haven't been able to play much at all the last few years due to some physical problems.

but we have an airstream! imagine an airforums member who actually has an airstream. wouldn't that surprise some at wally world.

e
Lost Valley Lake Resort #5611
https://www.lostvalleylake.com Woodalls 5W, Coast to Coast 5 Star. Coast to Coast members come enjoy!
cccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Innisfail , Alberta
Music is a central part of our family;3 sons all play;piano, cello, guitar violin,wife is a piano teacher, and I play organ/piano at our church-havent quite got room for our 6'6 grand piano in the airstrem though! happy travels;
Garth & Joanne
gtijewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #71
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
I've known my way around skins (Noble & Cooley), for at least 40 years and still play professionally, tho' mainly studio projects now - clubs and venues have lost their luster... something to do with carrying stuff around. Maybe shoulda played flute... tho' I did start off with bass... but I evolved. Learned to drool out of both sides...

Always have brushes, snare and a cymbal whilst traveling.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Suggestions anyone??

I need a source for heavy duty, quality, whatever we call it...not flimsey... "armless" folding camp chairs. Something a guitar, mandolin or (God help us) a banjo player could sit it while playing. Wal Mart ones don't meet the quals.
Anybody got a source?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #73
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
I need a source for heavy duty, quality, whatever we call it...not flimsey... "armless" folding camp chairs. Something a guitar, mandolin or (God help us) a banjo player could sit it while playing. Wal Mart ones don't meet the quals.
Anybody got a source?
Have you checked out Camping World - seems I've seen quite a few different types there... maybe something like Cabelas - they're a pretty good outdoor outfitter... here's a link I just googled...(folding camp chairs):
http://www.koolestproducts.com/pc-23...t-n-chill.aspx

REI has something pretty similar, too.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
chairs

I looked at those you mentioned...nothing sturdy and armless. Still searching.
Some one mentioned Sams chairs....they are really nice but a card table style. I want something functional and comfortable. I know they are out there.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #75
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
I looked at those you mentioned...nothing sturdy and armless. Still searching.
Heck, the "sit n' chill" holds up to 350lbs & it's armless... that's pretty stable unless one is 375.... I've used a lightweight tripod style outdoors a few times with no problem and playing drums, I'm moving around alot more than a gitar player! 'course, the ground wasn't wet either...
Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #76
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Anybody got a source?
Hi - i also went on this search several years ago and came up empty. The saggy canvas seated armless chairs are just too uncomfortable for pickers.

We now take standard metal folding chairs along for this purpose. They are really strong, can double as a warming rack over your campfire and pack flat. Best of all banjo players won't steal 'em.......

Not elegant - but highly functional and very comfortable (cheap too).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chair.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	42321  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I'm acquiring an old (antique??) oak armless folding chair that in its previous life was used at the Illinois State Fair. I need it for me and my Bluegrass Banjo--God help me--I will clear the campground for sure!!

By the way, I am a beginning country fiddle player as well. I plan to clear the whole county with that!

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Quote:
By the way, I am a beginning country fiddle player as well. I plan to clear the whole county with that!

Cary
For the love of God missy, please tell me you aren't thinking of taking up the bagpipes too!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I had considered bagpipes, but my banjo's shiny metal rim goes better with the AS.
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I'm not mult-talented. Just play the pedal steel guitar. Have been playing semi professionally for over 45 years. We just finished a 8000 mile trip with our Argosy and did some playing in the Jackson Hole area. Took a light amp, a single neck steel, and my pack-a-seat. Haven't had a lot of luck in runnng into a lot of musicians at the RV parks.

Earlier in this threat someone mentioned the Light Crust Doe Boys. I grew up in Dallas and know Smokey Robinson who I believe was one of the orginal members. Also knew Ronnie Dawson of the same group. I use to go with my gather when he was buying cattle at the Ft. Work Stockyards. If memory serves me right, I belive the Light Crust Doe Boys use to play on a daily radio from the stockyard that was hosted by Ted Gooley. Now, that's going back.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote