Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sounds fantastic!!! Just bought a basic canning book and started a canning page on my pinterest. Something I would like to experiment with as we have an acre now with lots of space. Our season is reversed in AZ but still doable. A basic life skill that both grandparents had but I really wasn't exposed to.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #22
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonboll View Post
Can and freeze and share with the neighbors. My wife is addicted to tomato juice she has a 2 qt. a week habit, so I guess I'm a co dependent. We have canning parties with friends and neighbors. We can put up about 100 qts. In a day. Everyone brings their jars and tomatoes and we set up gas cookers on the deck. I make blueberry wine , jelly and preserves. My addiction is Southern style cream corn or "fried corn" as Mama called it. It's all organic and we become semi vegetarian in the summer and fall. Since we retired from 35 years in the catering and event business all we do is garden, travel and eat.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Sounds good!

I can as much as possible, so if the power goes out I won't lose food. One of my favorite combinations is okra, tomatoes, onions, and green peppers all cooked down and canned together. Makes a great starter for a pot of soup or to put on a bed of rice with shrimp, chicken, beef....

I'm going to make a big batch of home-made chicken noodle soup, can that, and put it on the shelf. Would also like to can some chicken and beef. People used to do it all the time. Sounds easy and delicious because the meats end up cooking in the jar with its own juices. It could easily be seasoned in the process. Mmmmmmmmm...... gettig hungry thinking about it!

I have an All American model 915 pressure canner All American Pressure Canner 915 | 15 Quart Pressure Canner
If anyone reading this is interested in pressure canning, I would recommend these canners HIGHLY. Excellent quality, and the lid and body of the canner is machined so tightly that it doesn't require a rubber seal on the lid like some cheaper ones do.

Sure could use another one. I'll have to break down and order another one some day. (I've been hoping to run across a good used one, but they seem to be few and far between).
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
One of our favorites is pizza sauce. We can it in half pint jelly jars perfect size for a pizza. We use a Kitchen Aid mixer dough recipe and Wha-la. Dinner in a hurry.
We have an all american that we bought at an estate sale maybe 20 years ago. I replaced the pressure gauge and the relief valve and it works like a champ.
Ball Blue Book is the canners Bible, if it's not in there you probably don't need to can it.

Cottonboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #24
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonboll View Post
One of our favorites is pizza sauce. We can it in half pint jelly jars perfect size for a pizza. We use a Kitchen Aid mixer dough recipe and Wha-la. Dinner in a hurry.
We have an all american that we bought at an estate sale maybe 20 years ago. I replaced the pressure gauge and the relief valve and it works like a champ.
Ball Blue Book is the canners Bible, if it's not in there you probably don't need to can it.

My father-in-law works for an estate sale company. I have asked him and his boss to keep an eye out for an all-american pressure canner. They are a quality product and....... guess what they are made of???
Old 05-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #25
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
We do a lot of canning, and dehydrating, and freezing! Small garden in the backyard and a big one at the farm in GA. Usually plant all types of lettuce and onions between the rose bushes. This year we planted lettuce in 2 of the rose beds and herbs in the other one. Have a raised bed with radishes and one with beets. Will pickle the beets using my mother's recipe. YUM!!! Have tomatoes, cukes, butternut squash, zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkins, peppers, cantaloupes and sugar snap peas in the garden at home. The sugar snaps are a cool weather crop and are just now starting to flower. First time we have grown these. Can't wait!!!

Have tomatoes, green beans, okra, watermelon, squash, peppers and corn in the big garden. We can a lot, eat a lot, and give a lot away too. Pickle the okra and green beans, also make the stew mix of tomatoes, okra, peppers, onions, green beans. All gardens are organic. Can't get any better than that!

Tried dehydrated strawberries last year and they were yummy! Couldn't get them away from the kids to eat much ourselves. Love to see the kiddos eat healthy stuff!

Always looking for new ideas, so share!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #26
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
It's alot of work, but there's nothing like having fresh stuff from the garden. One of my favorites is to have a mixing bowl full of stuff from the garden for lunch!

« Ticks | Top | Airbnb »