Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Another OVERPRICED Airstream On E-Bay

I had to do a double take when I saw the price on this E-Bay "Buy It Now" auction...

2002 Airstream Classic

I guess they have not heard the economy is in a slump and RV companies are really feeling the pinch.

It is a slide out model and they added a 60 amp gnerator and 40 gallon diesel fuel tank on an extened tongue. Does anybody have a TV that can handle that tongue weight. I know our '06 slide out has a tongue weight nearing 1,000.00. I can't imagine what adding a generator and 40 gallons of diesel does to it.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yeah, I saw that, and not very good taste either.(my opinion)

This one has been lowered from $15,000 last time it was up...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...274192653&rd=1

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I really don't care for the look of the 70's dark interior,,, Gonna start changing mine out a little at a time to maple...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Its even available for free $50,000.00 in purchase protection insurance. What about the other $150,000 remaining? It must be 1 heck of a unit to be in the dupont registery
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Hey PURMAN I have that wplastic wood stuff in mine I often thought about doing real wood. Big Job though. I thought about selling it and going smaller say 27 foot or so. What would you think, stay with 31 or will 27 make that much differec... I cant decide should probably start a thread
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
LaGrange , Georgia
Hey everyone,
I am new here and just starting to explore the Airstream. My husband and I have been RVers for years in various rigs but never an Airstream. The more I read the more hooked I get. Now, to the current post - I am so stupid I thought the price might be a mistake??? I guess not. I can't imagine??? Maybe we can't afford an Airstream! Ha! Ha!
Looking forward to being a part of this group.
happytrailsga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrailsga View Post
Hey everyone,
I am new here and just starting to explore the Airstream. My husband and I have been RVers for years in various rigs but never an Airstream. The more I read the more hooked I get. Now, to the current post - I am so stupid I thought the price might be a mistake??? I guess not. I can't imagine??? Maybe we can't afford an Airstream! Ha! Ha!
Happytrailsga,
Welcome aboard. You can definitely afford an Airstream. This is the EXTRAORDINARY exception that we all get a kick out of. Even if I had that kind of money I wouldn't buy it. Keep looking at E-bay, the classified section of this forum, rvtrader.com, Craig's list, etc... You will get a feel for the norm and the extreme asking prices for Airstreams. Go see lots of Airstreams and get in them, crawl under them, and just generally poke around to get the lay of the land, so to speak. If you can find somebody local from this forum (I know I see lots of of posters from Georgia) ask them to go along on an inspection tour. You will find a host of friedly experts here with years of experience. Heck there are people on this forum that have probably forgotten more about Airstreams than I will ever know and they are all willing and ready to help, just ask.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There's also a new listing for a "completely restored" 57 starting at 40K. The description says it is "valued at 70K". Not saying it's not worth it, but the price is up there.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Carl is right and even helped us find a local Airstream. We began looking at Airstream because, in part, my wife grandmother (deceased) had always wanted an Airstream. After buying ours, I found my grandmother (86 and still kicking) always wanted one. In a truly odd way, we managed to fulfill a long-held dream of two separate familes.

We had a little sticker shock when we looked at new Airstreams in the $50,000 range. My wife and I have done well enough where it's something we could have managed... though with one daughter in college and another headed that way, it would have "pinched" a bit.

We decided to go vintage. By the time everything is said and done, I'm not sure how much money we'll put into our tin girl, but the "getting in" price was very modest. Who knows... by the time we're done we may have spent more than on a new Airstream, but we have the luxury of doing the work over time as the budget and mood allows.

Our philosophy is "good bones." We're going to ensure the running gear, frame and floor is rock solid. Once you have a great foundation, the sky is the limit. You can play with floor plans. You can upgrade features. You can make adjustments based on personal preferences or changing needs.

Vintage Airstream ... $3500.
Riveter ... $300.
Cyclo polisher ... $350
Airstream community ... priceless.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
$450,000.00 customization? Someone would actually pay nearly a half a millon dollars for an Airstream? What's the saying about "a fool and his money"?
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
I had to do a double take when I saw the price on this E-Bay "Buy It Now" auction...

2002 Airstream Classic

I guess they have not heard the economy is in a slump and RV companies are really feeling the pinch.

It is a slide out model and they added a 60 amp gnerator and 40 gallon diesel fuel tank on an extened tongue. Does anybody have a TV that can handle that tongue weight. I know our '06 slide out has a tongue weight nearing 1,000.00. I can't imagine what adding a generator and 40 gallons of diesel does to it.
I saw it as well and read the weights on that rig. 1500# tongue weight and 12,000# total trailer weight. One heavy trailer as they offer tow vehicles as well in their ad.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHall View Post
I saw it as well and read the weights on that rig. 1500# tongue weight and 12,000# total trailer weight. One heavy trailer as they offer tow vehicles as well in their ad.
Not to mention all the added weight of the solid wood cabinets & granite countertops! I'd be surprised if the frame was beefed up (which it would have to be) to handle those customizations ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I dont want to even think about the weight of this thing, however, I couldnt help myself by looking, they "think" it weights about 12k lbs!!!!!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's been listed here in the forums classifieds for a while. For some reason, there have been no takers. I guess that's why they are trying Ebay.
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ct=6041&cat=16
Old 08-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #15

atlanta , Georgia
This is my clients airstream. He had it customized the way he wanted. Some people like it, others hate it. Everyone customizes to their own taste, and their own price. Ever take a look at the Lamborghini's on ebay? They are over 200k and selling like crazy still. The local dealership here is ordering new ones constantly. The economy doesn't affect everyone the same. He's put over 500k into it and selling for less than half that and it was only used 1 time. So it may be way overpriced to some, but not to everyone.
bmcmotorcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Ok,

Personaly I think the interior is way to dark, but that's my opinion. way to heavy to tow, and for that money, I would be scared to use it!

Just my thought's.

Marie
Old 08-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #17
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrailsga View Post
Hey everyone,

You can afford an Airstream and yes, that EBay ad is catering to (or hoping for) those who have much $$ but no sense nor imagination... $250K... let's talk bridges for sale... Better yet, let's talk Edsels... I love the dealers remark regarding "the economy doesn't affect everybody the same" as if dollars alone is the criteria...

Welcome to the forums and hope you find the "Stream of your dreams! Check out the classified ads here... lotsa good stuff and good values. Use the search function for any questions you might have...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Happytrailsga,
Welcome to the forum. As I am sure you will see from the forum the Airstream community is probably far more diverse than most people realize. Use the forum to educate yourself, recognize what you are looking for and then buy what you want. You will also see most of us did not pay anywhere near 250,000.00 or even 2500.000 for our trailers. Yet we all have one thing in common, a fascination with aluminum. Keep looking you'll find what you want and can afford.

Good Luck!!
63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcmotorcars View Post
This is my clients airstream. He had it customized the way he wanted. Some people like it, others hate it. Everyone customizes to their own taste, and their own price. Ever take a look at the Lamborghini's on ebay? They are over 200k and selling like crazy still. The local dealership here is ordering new ones constantly. The economy doesn't affect everyone the same. He's put over 500k into it and selling for less than half that and it was only used 1 time. So it may be way overpriced to some, but not to everyone.
I actually like a lot of the look, especially the faux zebra rug. It's very well done with obviously top notch materials. Too bad the owner has changed his mind. This is one of those examples where you've got to have deep pockets AND very similar tastes to even consider something like this unit. There's nothing "generic" about it, so there will be few if any takers.

Paula
Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
It's like building a palace in a middle-class neighborhood. Doesn't make sense to me.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote